OT Anybody watch the Series, Mayor of Kingstown?

This is another really good Taylor Sheridan creation. I watched the first 2 episodes on Paramount TV channel a couple months ago. I just found out last week that all the subsequent episodes were only streamed on Paramount+. So I spent last week and week-end watching the final 8 episodes. I thought it was just as good as Yellowstone and 1883.

The content is very different than Yellowstone and 1883, but is similarly violent in scope. It’s about a city in Michigan with 7 prisons in a 10 mile radius, that basically support the city economically. Jeremy Renner has the lead as the unelected “Mayor”, ie “prisoner advocate” and is very good.

This series has not been officially renewed for a season or two, but speculation believes it will happen. Sheridan recently signed a 9-figure, 5-year contract with CBS, who owns Paramount channel and Paramount+. “Mayor of Kingstown” is said to be included in that 5 year contract.

If you haven’t seen it, and have a way of watching, all 10 episodes are now streaming on Paramount+ (Originally “CBS All Access”). The final episode just took place last week.

1 Like

We watched and liked, Jeremy Renner is a hell of an actor

I watched the first episode but haven’t watched any more. I probably will at some point.

Anything Taylor Sheridan touches is pretty much gold, including movies. I was a big fan of Sicario, Wind River and Hell or High Water.

Those were all good, ‘Hell or High Water’ was my favorite.

3 Likes

I really liked Sicario. The second Sicario, “Day of the Soldado” was good, but not up to the standard set by the original. I don’t know if Sheridan was also involved with the 2nd movie.

I like the show. It’s like the old West in suits and prison uniforms

I like that. It’s a really good definition of the series.

I watched on Paramount+ and really enjoyed it. You can tell where the commercial breaks should be during the stream, but they must do some pretty good editing to get it on TV, even if it is a “cable channel”.

I didn’t watch the sequel because I read too many poor reviews. Many said the same you did, that it wasn’t up to the level of the first one.

All three are so different that it’s tough to pick a favorite. I think what sets Hell or High Water apart is the acting. Jeff Bridges and Ben Foster are great actors.

Hell or High Water was great… really good acting and very well written. Watched both the Sicario movies and the 2nd was definitely not as good, the first one is very good… Been watching Yellowstone since it started a few years ago and have watched the first 4 1883… it’s good but not as good as I’d hoped it would be. I watched the first 2 episodes of Mayor of Kingstown but haven’t watched any more. Will probably pick it up again at some point.

Speaking of actors, Mayor of Kingstown has a young British actress (you don’t detect any british accent), Emma Laird, who in my opinion, should win an Emmy award for best supporting actress. She was mesmerizing with the range of emotions in the Finale. She was so good, it made her many scenes in the last couple episodes, and especially in the finale, really hard to watch. She had major scenes in only the last 3 or 4 episodes.

As another poster mentioned, Renner was also very good. In the last couple of episodes the scenes between Emma and Jeremy Renner were amazing.

Oh, I probably should have mentioned, “Mayor of Kingstown” is definitely a hard R-rated with extreme violence and nudity. Definitely not PG-13.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.