OT: An unofficial hole in one

Here is the full version:

It is fun to try out different equipment, Broke finger is healed and I think shoulder is ready to go to the range and start hitting balls, hsvent played really since my brother died a few yrs ago but am finally getting that itch to play again.

I’m getting questions about the shaft. It’s a regular.

I bought custom clubs 23 years ago. Quit playing when my daughter was born (she turns 21 this summer) because of the cost. I was trying to play slowpitch softball also, and the two swings are not easily compatible for me.

Twenty years since I last played and I’m still playing softball. I find that bats are a lot like clubs. I don’t swing the Adidas Melee’s because they break or breakdown too quickly. I loved the Worth Jeff Hall half-ounce reloads until they went south - they went from the hottest bat in my bag to something best used to scare burglars. The last Jeff Hall model was really easy to crack, but I faithfully bought them knowing I would have the longest shots in the park.

I used to be a Miken Freak Plus guy but then Miken changed their construction just a bit. I had three that I kept in a special place because they were so hot, outhitting even the very best contemporary bats. Eventually, maybe 5000 swings each, they cracked and had to be retired.

I used to hate Demarini bats but have come to love the Larry Carter model. No one else swings them in my league, and no one else on my team swings a 30oz bat. That means no one picks it up by accident or as a fill-in should they break theirs. I have three Larry Carter’s in the bag now.

Not sure if I will transition to a new bat, try the Melee (a teammate is a sales rep and I hate not supporting his gig), or keep being a Carter guy. One teammate said, “you are leaving 20 feet off your bombs by not swinging the Melee.”

I replied that I have three Carter’s to last me this season and I’d need 8 Melee’s. And, if you hit it over all the Melee does is increase how far you walk to pick up the HR ball. He could not argue with either point.

My BIL is a golf pro and we are vacationing together next January. I may have to dust off my clubs this winter, but not until the softball season is over.

Surprise, Clay bought the Ace club… there would be a fight on the fairway if the pro wanted to take it away from me. Did you get steel shafts?

Yes. I got steel regular shaft.

I hate that equipment has changed the game so much. I understand why everyone likes the changes. We all like to hit the ball farther, but it’s too bad the professional game has changed so much. I remember when a 275 yard drive was huge. I also remember when the English ball was slightly smaller than the American ball. English balls were illegal in tournament play in the US because they’d go farther.

I wish they’d deaden the ball a bit Metal woods (speaking of oxymorons) have really changed things, too, but I don’t see us ever going back to woods. We’re about as likely to go back to wooden shafts as we are wooden heads.

I don’t hate it. More fun for the amateur. Anything that helps an amateur is good. Golf flourished last 12 months for many reasons. But part of it was it’s easier.

More forgiving clubs make it fun. Hitting it longer is good.

The pros can play that length they have added but amateurs don’t have to and have fun.

I didn’t say I hated it for amateurs. I know I’d rather have a club that gives me a better chance at hitting it straight & long, too. What I hate is the effect it’s had on the professional game.

I love to see the big boys make birdies. They get a tough course for US Open. That’s enough for me. I’m not sadistic. I love to see those guys have fun, too. Birdie them all for all I care. Do not change the equipment. Please.

Heck, people had fun playing golf in the 50’s & 6game 60’s, too.

I went to the range this afternoon. I did not have the new demo Mizuno. About halfway through the pro brought it down. Man I love it. Can’t wait to hit the full set. Figuring out new distances will require some work. But I hit this club dead solid perfect today.

I complained that I cut the Mavrik driver. The pro added loft and that is beginning to work itself out. I think I may can turn it over.

This golf stuff may have a future. I may actually join the Seniors game at our club once a week.

My golf game has really struggled the last 5 years and I blame my irons. I’ve got the Mp59s but not playing enough, but have thought about the JPX. I was at Springdale back in January and warming up and my buddy pulled the 921 out of his bag and said warm up with this. I felt good after the first shot. Great after the second one. 15 more yards no problem. It’s a no brainer, I just havent made the time to get fitted. But gonna get the hot not the forged…unless fitter says otherwise.

Hot metal are good, too. But I hit the forged better.

Never had an ace. Hit the pin several times but never went in. Definitely have played enough rounds to hole one or two but no go.

Lot of it is luck. Two of my three “real” aces flew in cup. Real luck there.

The aspect I don’t particularly care for is that it makes it that much harder to compare the greats of a prior generation (Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Trevino, Floyd, etc.) to current day players. Yes, they lengthen the courses but that’s not really the same as playing Augusta in 1966 with the equipment (clubs, balls) available in that day. Not oranges to oranges.

I think the progress is great for the regular Joe. As others have said, if it makes the game more fun,it’s probably a good idea. But for the pros, I’m less enthusiastic.

Not that the PGA has reached out to me for my opinion. They seem to be doing fine without me.

I played a lot for 25+ years without having one (played everyday the weather permitted back in about 1982-84), then suddenly had 2 in one year (2016) while only playing about 12 rounds that year.

I have holed out from distance at least a half dozen times that I can think of though.

During those early years I had 3 long holeouts on the same hole in less than a month (Fall of 1987 or 88). It was on a Par 5 that has an uphill tee shot that if you fly the crest of the hill, you can give it a go in two with a fairway wood or long iron if you get some rollout off the tee. There is a pond in front of the green, but there was about 30 yards of grass between the pond and the front of the green, so it was a great risk-reward hole. The first time I holed out, playing with my Dad’s Sat morning foursome, I hooked my tee shot into the left pine grove, punched out to 175 yards and holed a 5 iron for eagle. The pin was on the front left behind a deep bucker, so we did not see it go in. 1 week later, I hit another hook into the trees and punched out to about 195. I hit a 3 iron that landed on the front of the green and tracked straight to the back hole location and stopped, looking like a leaner. I reached down to pick up my bag, and heard a guy on the next tee behind the green start clapping. Then my Dad said, “It just dropped! You did it again!” Then about 2 weeks later I was out there with my brother, it was hole #8 and I was 2 under par at that point and starting to get a little nervy about it. I hit a great tee shot and only had about 225 to a middle pin. I pulled my trusty Toney Penna persimmon 4 wood out and proceeded to hit a high slice out of bounds to the right. Steaming mad… I dropped a new ball, and took an angry swipe that never left the flagstick and one hopped into the hole for birdie!

Sadly that 9 holes on my old home Club (Berkeley Hills in Duluth, GA) is now closed. It was a 27 hole course back then.

That’s my view, too, Wiz. I also think equipment–at least at the pro level–is an equalizer. The guys who could always hit the ball in the sweet spot scored well. Now the sweet spot is so much larger that what would have once been a poor shot isn’t. (I don’t pretend to know this from my own experience–never hitting the sweet spot enough to know–but from listening to, I think, Jack Nicklaus, a few years ago.)

You guys being short sighted. So how do you compare Nicklaus feats/distances to Bobby Jones/Walter Hagen. Equipment for Nicklaus was MUCH better than those boys.

It is always going to be that way. The best players figure it out.

Nothing stays the same. Equipment evolves. Baseballs change. Rules change in sports. Stats don’t compare from different eras. Scores in golf don’t compare.

The real changes in golf is the condition of the course. Watered greens and fairways change the game.

You can’t go back. 16-under today might not compare to 26-under Or 6-over. Conditions change. The wind blows or it rains.

The winner is just the winner that week with that equipment and that wind, etc.

1 Like