OT- An embarrassment of riches

First let me say saw a lot of fun high school games over the weekend in the Texas state title football games.

Saw a lot of young players that could no doubt help the Razorbacks.

Now, to the riches. DeSoto, Texas High School, located in south Dallas County, has at least 20 scholarship athletes on it 2016 football roster.

Some states don’t have that many.

There is a reason that Lancaster, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and to a lesser degree Duncanville (all located in the south of Dallas County have been so good in football and basketball over the last couple of decades. It’s all good too.

Yeah, it’s pretty impressive. I went to the Highland Park v. Temple game. Not nearly as many athletes there as you saw in the DeSoto v. Steele game, but there was a great crowd (35,000) and some good football, especially on defense. It’s refreshing to see high school football where great defense being played. Defense – especially noseguard and linebacker play – carried HP to the state championship. They had to win a couple of defensive battles to get there.

Highland Park has some decent players but you right not many great players. What makes them great as a team is discipline and football intelligence. Except for the one 39 yard run by the Temple back I don’t recall seeing HP’s defense make many mistakes that cost them.

Remember that Pulaski Academy went down to Highland Park last year and beat them 40-13, ending an 84-game home winning streak for HP.

Jerry’s grandson is a junior, BTW. He’ll be back.

Yes, PA did win that game last year. But HP was not very good last year.

This is year’s team is totally different. HP has a lot of player turnover from year to year due to the numbers of players. The reason they had such a great year this year was: 1) they dropped down to 5A from 6A; and 2) Very good defense, pure and simple. Great nose tackle, and 4 linebacker types that could really run and tackle. They play a 3-4.

John Stephen Jones is also the new QB. He is a good high school quarterback. Not sure how he projects at the next level, but you can tell he has a good feel for the game. He’s had great coaching through the years, obviously. Smallish at 5-10, maybe 170.

I know PA is a great program. I’ve not seen them play this year. It’d be an interesting game. Conventional wisdom says a Texas 5A state champ would beat PA, but you never know.

HP went 9-1 in the 2015 regular season, with the only loss to PA, and reached the second round of the 6A-1 playoffs. Now I have no way of knowing if they were in a weak 6A district, but they ran the table in district last year and went 6-1 in district this year, losing the last regular season game.

I’ve seen just about every HP game the last 3 years. Daughter is on the drill team. Very weak 6A district in '14 and '15. Weak suburb schools like Berkner, Lake Highlands, and a couple of the Mesquite schools were in their district. Waco Midway, a very good football school, beat HP in both '14 and '15 in round 2. Badly in '15. But the stars aligned for the defense this year. It was really impressive. Fun for daughter to be a part of a state championship.

I think Arkansas high school football is somewhat underrated.

Bentonville lost to Trinty Euless 21-13 in 2013 when Euless was a Region finalist.

PA did what they did to Highland in 2015 and broke an 84 home winning streak.

Don’t disagree Richard. I think it’s very difficult to compare high school teams, let alone teams in different states. Good Arkansas teams in roughly the same class can play with good Texas teams. Good coaching and 7 on 7 offseason success is key. PA and Highland Park each has very good coaching, including private, offseason stuff. HP might have a deeper talent pool to draw from. It’s a big high school. Not sure how big PA is. All I know is that HP beat some very good teams to win a state title this year. HP this year was eons better than last year’s team that PA beat.

All of that said, I do think that the DeSoto team mentioned at the top of this thread would boat race all of 'em – HP, PA, whomever. Impressive 6A high school team. Unreal talent.