OT: American woman wins Boston Marathon

Horrible weather this year, cold, rainy and a 20-mph headwind. Desiree Linden’s winning time of 2:39:54 was the slowest Boston winner since 1978, but it ain’t how, it’s how many. She stopped with fellow American Shalane Flanagan early in the race as Shalane, uh, paid a visit to the porta-potties, and the break helped her get her legs back and surge into the lead. Flanagan wound up finishing 7th, about 7 minutes back. Seven of the top 10 women were Americans.

This may tug at the strings a bit:

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://www.facebook.com/NBCSports/vide … 7161847963”>https://www.facebook.com/NBCSports/videos/1615407161847963</LINK_TEXT>

No, I’m not sorry I’m not there this year.

Men’s race was won in 2:15:58 by 31-year-old Yuki Kawauchi of Japan, who basically runs a marathon a month and is a full-time Japanese government employee. Kawauchi won by more than two minutes. Top American was Shadrack Biwott in third place.

My Daughter finished and is qualified to run again. So I’m proud of her. She said the weather hurt everyone’s time and it was miserable!

Congrats to your daughter.

I’ve Never ran a marathon, had to ruck a few. It’s always impressive to see people run that far.

Congrats to her! I qualified once, then they made the standards six minutes tougher and I never qualified again. The second time I had to raise $5,000 for charity to get a spot (and the fundraising may have been tougher than training to qualify). A good friend of mine from Tulsa (female, age 31) was the #230 female out of about 15,000 today. She said it was completely miserable. But she finished within 30 minutes of Desi, which beats heck out of anything I ever did.

I think her time was 3hours and 42 minutes
I’d need an ambulance to pick me up if I ran for over 10 minutes. My old body is wore out. In the old days I could run in combat boots with a ruck sack like it was nothing but those days are long gone.

My best time was 3:31 at age 49; that’s how I got to Boston. I ran 3:38 at my first Boston. Barely broke 5 hours the second time, and probably should have dropped out (course volunteers tried to get me off the course at least twice). Obviously should have started (and completed) my marathon career long before I did.

3:31 is impressive

I’ll never sniff it again, that’s for sure (not even running at all now, although I need to pick it back up). I was in shape to go even faster in Boston, but I got stupid and set too optimistic a goal, trying to get 3:20. If I’d targeted 3:25 I think I could have made that. You look at that and say, it’s only five minutes difference, but five minutes is nearly 12 seconds a mile, and 12 seconds a mile is a big difference when you’re trying to hold that pace for 26.2.

Ran New York several years ago. Took 20 minutes to get to the starting line after the start. Could not really run for 5 miles or so due to the number of runners. All in all it was a blast. My what a great experience.

I have run several marathons over the years but never the two power names of New York/Boston. In the mid nineties I did the Disney Marathon in 3:37 and moved a few months later to Denver and did light training but confident I could do one in the mountains. Between the the thin air and hills I barely finished. Congrats to you guys that have done Boston/New York… tough running to say the least.

Newspaper only shows top 5 finishers. None of those were from Africa. Haven’t researched the entire list of participants. Did the top African runners not enter this year? Is that the reason for a American winner?

Some of the top Africans dropped out in midrace, or were slowed way down by the cold (I guess they don’t get 37 degrees with rain and 20-mph headwinds much in the Rift Valley). There was one African (Edna Kiplagat of Kenya, who is REALLY good, like two-time world champion good) in the top 10; she finished eight minutes behind Desi. Kiplagat’s personal record is 2:19; she was 27 minutes behind that yesterday.

There are six marathons open to the average runner that are considered “majors”, sort of the Grand Slam of running. I’ve run two of them: Boston and London. The others are New York, Tokyo, Chicago and Berlin. At one time I thought I might get all six. Maybe someday I will, but it won’t be any time soon. I did a German marathon in Frankfurt instead of Berlin because of Berlin’s timing (late September, meaning the peak training would be in an Arkansas August; no thanks). Frankfurt is late October, which coincides with my birthday; I spent my 55th birthday in Germany. Chicago is in early October, so kind of the same deal as Berlin. New York is early November; better timing but of the six majors, it’s the one I least want to run. Tokyo is in February.

Wonderful goal, good skill in your quest…

So I got out last night after work (at 2:30 a.m.) and went for a short run. Not far and not fast, but I ran. I’m a looooong way from being ready for Chicago or Tokyo, but you gotta start somewhere.

Swine running enough to stay in shape is worth it! I miss being able to run. It was enjoyable and relaxing. I know that may sound crazy but it is true.
The Frankfurt Marathon is pretty close to October Fest isn’t it ?

It’s after Oktoberfest by a couple of weeks, and Frankfurt, although it does have an Oktoberfest, doesn’t seem to really get into beer like Munich does. The local beverage is apple wine, known as “ebbelwei” or “schoppe”, which is actually not bad.