OT- alternative TV options

Just curious, but have any of you cut the cord with Dish or DirecTV and gone with any of the streaming service options?
If so, how has it worked out for you? Does the streaming service provide for all the sports channels?, SEC network?
I have good internet availability so that wouldn’t be a problem. It just irks me to keep paying over $100 month for tv, and all those channels I don’t ever watch.
Any advice?

2 Likes

I have either subscribed to or tested Hulu, YouTube TV and Fubo, and I think all are fine. The sports package differs from one to the next, but all should give you the channels to watch the ESPN networks that televise the Razorbacks, including SEC Network.

I don’t think the streaming services are going to be a whole lot more affordable than cable or satellite for much longer. When I first subscribed to Hulu in early 2018, I think I paid $34 per month. I think it was getting close to $80 per month when I switched providers in the fall.

The networks are going to get their money one way or another.

1 Like
1 Like

I live in an apartment so I don’t have the option to get satellite but I love my cable which is Comcast/infinity.
I pay more than I like for TV and internet together but that is one thing I will not sacrifice on because I have to be able to watch my sports LOL

2 Likes

I hear ya! I have to have access to the sports channels.

2 Likes

Yeah three things you will never see me go cheap on… TV,Toilet paper and Tires :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been with YouTube TV for about 3 years now. I pay $64.99/month and have all local channels, as well as all sports channels (ESPN, Fox, SEC, Big10, ACC, etc.).

Reason I left Cox was honestly because of the amount of money I was spending in equipment cost, which were starting to run around $60/month themselves. Had to pay for a DVR box, and had to pay for a mini box at each TV. Just crazy to me to be paying the cable company a fee for those things. I saved enough in 1 year to buy two new smart TVs that have YouTube TV app, ESPN app, Disney, Netflix, etc.

My kids watch more things on streaming apps like Disney and Netflix, so cable was becoming obsolete in my household.

YouTube TV has unlimited DVR space, and shows can be seen for up to 9 months after saving.

With YouTube tv, one can set the channels that they want to view (by making them visible or not on the guide), and can orient the guide in whichever way you please. I’ve got all my locals in a group up top, followed by sports channels, then kids channels, then movie-type channels (TBS, TNT, FX, AMC, etc.), then home improvement/nature (HGTV, Smithsonian, Nat Geo, etc.), then global news/business. I can make channels I never watch (or want the kids exposed to) like MTV not even visible.

The additional money I’m saving each month has been out towards higher internet speeds, and I’m still coming out ahead.

For me, one of the great things about YouTube tv is that it can be streamed to your phone as well. If we’re traveling in the car, in an airport, sitting while my car is serviced, etc., then we can watch on our phones. I do have unlimited data plan, so that helps. Heck, I actually use my phone and YouTube tv for watching games at our tailgate. Used to set up a satellite, but now I simply plug the HDMI adapter into my iPhone and TV that we take down for games. Everything on YouTube tv is available.

My YouTube tv DVR is set to record anything that comes on with “Arkansas Razorbacks” in the programming info. And if there is something else you realize is on, you can also set up to record from the phone.

Personally, I’d never go back to cable or satellite.

There are infrequent periods of slowness/outages, but no more often than the times I was having to reset my cable boxes.

*I should note that my house is fully wired with Ethernet cables, so all of my smart TVs are hardwired and not over wifi.

1 Like

Thanks for the information on YouTube. I assume you have a separate Internet access, or is your Internet access provided by YouTube?

I moved from DirecTV to streaming. I started with Hulu and switched to YouTubeTV. Both offer most sports channels. The one thing that I used to have was the sports package add-on that allowed access to the then multiple Fox Sports channels. Without those (now Bally) channels, I no longer have access to many MLB games. I was going to switch back to Hulu, but they no longer had any of those channels last year. MLB.tv blacks out St. Louis, Kansas City, Texas, and Houston in the Fayetteville area.

Otherwise I get all of the sports programming I could want. There is a sports add-on that includes NFL RedZone, beIN SPORTS, FOX Soccer Plus, VSiN, Outside TV+, PokerGO+, MAVTV, TVG, Stadium, GOLTV, Billiard TV, SportsGrid, PlayersTV.

I dumped Directv two years ago and bought a over the air amplified antenna for about 25 bucks. In my mid 80’s I no longer need nearly as many sports as I did previously but I get enough on the basic networks, I willl have four or more NFL games today, but do not get ESPN so I lose a lot of college coverage.But I am saving about 170 bucks a month.

I can remember the days when the radio was the sports outlet.

I get up to 65 channels mostly old movies.

This is exactly why I don’t do YouTube they don’t carry Bally stations that I watch the Braves on…

1 Like

You have to have internet access separate for any of the streaming services to work.

These are not really money saving options, they are just more reliable (I guess depending on reliability of your internet service). But I got fed up with losing satellite signal anytime there was a heavy rain.

We had a long discussion about various services recently when YouTube TV lost everything Disney last month. During that time I tried Fubo and Hulu. Have previously had Sling and PlayStation Vue.

Once YTTV got Disney (ESPN) back I stayed with them.
Advantages are local channel access, Turner channels (important for March Madness and MLB playoffs), and a far superior interface than Hulu.

1 Like

I’d have internet service at the house regardless of whether I have TV (cable or streaming), so not sure I understand your first point.

For those of you looking to do pro sports (I don’t watch any of them), I’d recommend a VPN in addition. You can change your location to get around the blackouts. I do it for certain shows broadcast on stations that are released in other countries before here.

Sorry, doc. Now I see you were responding to a separate question.

YouTube isn’t an internet service provider.

My Internet service provider is Cox, though I plan to switch to AT&T when available at my location.

You can use a VPN to get around those if you want to, there are easy-to-follow YouTube guides, how I watch when my Cubs play the Cardinals.

What RyanRitchie said. I have yubtubTV as well and love it. Esp being able to watch from anywhere on the phone.

It must be noted (no idea if Cox or Comcast or anyone in Arkansas has this): My internet is through my local cable provider, Spectrum. Spectrum offers an app where you can watch stuff on your phone as well. But since I’d have to pay too much to get that, I’m sticking with YTTV for now. At some point that may change, if Spectrum offers me a sufficient deal.

I haven’t really used the “watch from anywhere” option. Usually when I’m at a dog show, I’m too busy for much TV viewing. That said, I do like the ability to do so. When JFB died, I was in Arizona on a visit. It would have been nice to be able to see some of the coverage.

It’s come in handy for me. When I’m traveling for work during basketball season, I don’t always get SECN on the hotel TV, but I can watch the Hogs on YTTV or ESPN+.

I watch on devices quite regularly