One team on Hogs' schedule in the Dance

Northern Kentucky won the Horizon League tournament tonight. Going to the tournament at 24-9. NET at 152 coming in so probably a 15 seed. As you may remember, they gave us a pretty good fight at BWA, losing by 6 in November.

That means one less spot for P6 in the NIT.

Yes, the Norse have punched their NCAA ticket 3 of the last 4 seasons.
They jumped from Division 2 to Division 1 basketball in the 2012-13 season as a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference and switched to the Horizon League several years ago.
I live about 20 minutes from their campus in Highland Heights, Ky.
Their current coach is Darren Horn whom I believe coached previously in the SEC and he is in his first season while their previous coach is now the head coach at University of Cincinnati.
I remember when I saw them on the schedule I told folks on this site that the Hogs couldn’t sleep on them because they have built a nice program and have played some high level teams quite well over the past few years.
As a 15 seed in 2017 they played 2 seed Kentucky in the first round and the final score was 79-70 and was a highly competitive game.
The University made a commitment to the basketball program and built a beautiful on campus arena.
Unfortunately, they haven’t yet gotten the type of fan support from the local community because most folks here are all Big Blue and the fact that just across the Ohio River they have to compete with both UC and Xavier. Lots of good basketball in the Tri- State area.
Certainly, the Norse will be a 14 or 15 seed and likely be one and done, but perhaps one of these years they will break through and pull of an upset.

That was the game that Mason Jones sat out.

I don’t think that’s an issue for us with a top-50 NET. Might be a problem for somebody like TCU or Clemson or Virginia Tech.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.