One note after you have vented

I was at the 63-20 debacle in Knoxville in 2000 against unranked Tennessee. That team rebounded to defeat two teams that finished in the top 25 in the next two games. This team can redeem itself after resting and stewing on this one for a couple of weeks. The Florida and LSU games will provide the context in which this game should be placed for good or ill.

With massive losses on the offense and one of the toughest schedules in the nation, 8-4 looked like a good result for this team before the season. If they get there, I’ll be satisfied with this season, no matter how ugly that game was yesterday.

I think 8-4 is still very doable, and it would be okay by me after 7-5 last year.

The problem is that something has to be done about the defense during the off week to give the team some confidence going forward. Standing pat and just trying to do the same things with the same people looks like the way to 6-6, and that is not okay.

We are going to be playing two very good defenses in Florida and LSU, so we can’t count on the offense scoring a lot of points. The defense has to get it together.

The toughest thing to take is the way we lost. To be out played by better athletes is one thing. But to get out coached and bludgened the way we did is not acceptable. Period. That being said there are still games to play. Thank goodness for open week. See if we can regroup. I would venture team is very fragile right now. Up to coaches to hold it together. Am I confident in this staff, simple answer is no. Hope they prove me wrong

8-4, with wins over MSU & Mizzou, but I don’t see the other win? Help me…

7-5. Not going to beat anyone but Mizzou. OL has had time to improve and just hasn’t. No way we can stop the run (we just do not have the personnel).

If we only beat Mizzou, we would be 6-6, not 7-5.

I do think we can split Florida/LSU. Why?

First, both Florida and LSU will be coming off big, physical, emotional games. It will be very difficult for either to play at that emotional level two weeks in a row.

The case for beating Florida is in three parts other than that very real advantage. First, we will be coming off the bye week, and the rest/recovery should help, maybe a lot. Second, Florida’s offense has been inconsistent, and at times has been turnover-prone, so our defense will likely look a bit better whether any thing really gets fixed long-term during the bye week. Third, it is reasonable to think that the Hogs will be fired up after last night’s embarrassment, so the mental edge goes our way.

The case for beating LSU is somewhat similar.
First, LSU, despite the coaching change, is still a power team with a mediocre QB (and very good WRs) which needs the running game to work to win. They don’t use a lot of motion in their run game, they just line up and try to out-athlete you. Even bad Arkansas defenses have usually played pretty well against that scheme. Second, if LSU gets beat by Bama, they will not have a chance to go to Atlanta, and Orgeron will have no chance of being named the HC, so the air may really be out of the balloon. Third, it is the last home game for the Hogs, which helps with our emotional level no matter what happens in the Florida game.

So splitting those games looks doable. Losing both is of course possible, LSU clearly has better talent on both sides of the ball, and Florida has a giant advantage in defensive talent. Winning both would be a big surprise, but then again this team keeps taking unexpected twists, so I suppose that could happen, too.

I know we could lose to MSU, but they’ve been horrible this year. I still say we beat both MSU & MU. LSU & UF are more problematic.

A lot of people have said Bret sometimes has a “Bert” game (I call it Bert, they say has a game where we are expected to win, but instead stink it up, by the way we weren’t expected to win yesterday, so I don’t think it was a “Bert” game). What if it happens against MSU or Missouri?

There is so much film on how to be successful vs. Arky D that it’s unbelievable; and the “how” isn’t all that difficult to execute.

You’re grasping for straws…no one, other than a die hard, cardinal shaded glasses, Kool-Aid drinking hog fan, will see us as being the favorite in either FL or LSU. Every week in the SEC involves slobber knocker big games…it’s what we do! so the fact these teams are coming off “emotional games” won’t be so much of a factor, IMO…

Well, Das I will disagree with you. No one accuses me of sipping the Kool-Aid (Hater-Aid maybe). I expect us to beat LSU. LSU has the following games left: Bama (when they lose they have a letdown, every year), Us (at Fayetteville), Florida (if we lose to Florida, then this becomes a much bigger game to LSU, and they’ll look ahead, they’ve done it the last two years when we were sandwiched between BAMA and aTm), then aTm. We consider LSU a rival, you get up for rivalry games. LSU doesn’t consider us anything other than just another SEC team.

So, being at home, being in between two meaningful games for LSU, and us hating them more than they dislike us, is a good thing for us. I believe we win the LSU game easily

It is not a matter of being the favorite, and I never said we would be the favorite. It’s a matter of having an edge that can lead to victory.

It’s also been pretty obvious the last couple of years that LSU has not played at the same level against Arkansas as it did the week before against Bama. That’s not grasping at straws, that is noting what actually happened in the same circumstances the last two years. The LSU game in 2014 and 15 fell the week after they played Bama, and poor little out-recruited, out-coached Arkansas won both games.

This is also the first time in four years that Florida has to play somebody besides Vandy the week after playing Georgia, and the first time all year they will have played two tough games in a row, much less a rivalry game followed by a road game. In the last three years, Florida beat Vandy handily once, lost once, and one 9-7 last year.

So the opportunity is there, it becomes a question of whether we can take advantage of it.

Guys, I’m a homer and love the hogs, but I witnessed some glaring issues that seem to be getting worse. Maybe teams are just keying in on them more, but we’ve got to make some serious changes and I’m not sure we have the horses to do it. However, if for some reason we are able to and win out, I could forget this loss all together. :slight_smile:

Well, Das I will disagree with you. No one accuses me of sipping the Kool-Aid (Hater-Aid maybe). I expect us to beat LSU. LSU has the following games left: Bama (when they lose they have a letdown, every year), Us (at Fayetteville), Florida (if we lose to Florida, then this becomes a much bigger game to LSU, and they’ll look ahead, they’ve done it the last two years when we were sandwiched between BAMA and aTm), then aTm. We consider LSU a rival, you get up for rivalry games. LSU doesn’t consider us anything other than just another SEC team.

So, being at home, being in between two meaningful games for LSU, and us hating them more than they dislike us, is a good thing for us. I believe we win the LSU game easily

Baked Hog
You may be right & I hope you are…after seeing what Fournette did to OM and what All-Barn did to us, I believe the talent level is too far apart for us to pull it off. LSU is playing with swagger & confidence since Coach O took over… We shall see!!!

LSU is next in the redemption tour, and they will probably leave a lot of energy on the field tonight against Bama.

Yesterday I would have gladly accepted a split with LSU & UF. I have now changed my mind & want nothing less than a sweep of those two. Then I want to beat both MSU & MU. (I felt very good about winning both those, but today MSU made me much less confidant of winning in Starkvegas.)