On the turf

I have heard a lot of people wonder whether the turf contributed to some injuries last night and say it needs replaced. It is scheduled to be replaced before next season. I think this is the same turf that has been in place since 2006.

Replacing the turf was one of the recommendations in both studies about War Memorial last year - one by the UA and one commissioned by the Parks and Tourism department.

Thanks Matt.

It’s a shame they couldn’t have done it after it was identified, and before our one game a year there.

If it contributed in any way from age or whatever to even one injury, it should have been replaced already imo.

Thanks Matt for looking into this.

I don’t know that it contributed to it or not, but it very well could have. I worry for those high school players who will be playing there in the playoffs.

There are high school games at War Memorial almost every week. Catholic plays its home games there, North Little Rock played there a couple of years ago, the Salt Bowl, a number of early-season kickoff events, etc.

[quote=“MattJones”]

There are high school games at War Memorial almost every week. Catholic plays its home games there, North Little Rock played there a couple of years ago, the Salt Bowl, a number of early-season kickoff events, etc.

[/quote]Yes, I forgot about Catholic playing there.

It could have contributed to Boyd’s injury the way landed on his back side. Softer surface may have cushion the impact more. Storey’s last injury maybe both the hit by the opponent & his impact on the turf.

Both my sons played for Catholic, graduating in 2009 and 2013. During that time I was on the field a time or two most every year, and saw lots of games and seven-on-seven. The first few years it was pretty nice, but I do recall that by the 2012 season the field felt a lot firmer than when it was newer.

Now I don’t think even today it would be like playing on the parking lot outside the stadium. Catholic, for one, would just go someplace else or put stands up around their practice field if they thought it was unsafe. But the stuff certainly seemed to be harder and maybe slicker than you want for an SEC game, and needs to be replaced.

One thought is that high school players are not hitting nearly as hard as the players in the SEC, so their collisions with the ground won’t be nearly as violent for the most part.

Are the plans to go back to grass or a new artificial surface?

As far as I know it will be turf.

The announcers commented on it a vouple if times. Said it was thinner and harder w more rubber pellets in it.

WMS’ surface is FieldTurf, which is one of the best (Patriots and Seahawks have it, along with many Power 5 colleges). But the WMS field is old and worn out, and I suspect it was also not their top of the line product even then.

One of the realities of the latest arificial grass athletic surface is it has to be replaced every 10+/- years. One of the reasons the Hogs are going to real grass is 1) they have $100,000/year to spend “maintaining” it instead of a million per ten years replacing it and 2) they don’t have to share it with other sports like soccer, high school games, concerts, etc. like War Memorial has to do to pay some of the bills. The fact that it is a plus in recruiting doesn’t hurt its case either.