On the road

Mentioned last week that I’d been hired to work in a clinical trial for a COVID-19 treatment involving antibodies. They called me at 10:30 this morning and said “can you be on a plane to Illinois tonight?” Answer is yes. I’m going to a little town called Streator about 80 miles from Chicago. Still waiting on my plane itinerary (they’d better hurry, plane leaves in three hours) but probably flying to O’Hare and then driving down. Probably going somewhere for a few days after Streator, total of 10 days. Don’t think I’ll be watching much football this weekend, or next weekend either

Where am I going after Streator? No idea (and they don’t know either; this is a rapid-response type thing, and they put together the team for Streator this morning). But they also told me to start applying for medical licenses in a bunch of states including Illinois. I did Illinois this morning and will work on the rest while I’m gone.

2 Likes

Good luck. Thanks for taking on this task for the rest of us.

2 Likes

Going into Chicago? Hope you’re packing, and I don’t mean for the weather. :wink:

1 Like

I get my bag, get the rental car and head for Streator, which is southwest of Chicago. Hopefully a town of 13000 has something resembling a decent hotel.

Changing planes in Charlotte. As I expected, flying to ORD and driving down from there. Show up at the site bright and early in the morning

Chicago, what a city! It’s great, just don’t go south of Rosevelt Blvd.
Sounds exciting Swine, good luck, help find us a vaccine against this crap

1 Like

It’s great work you’re doing Jeff. I spent 34 years flying, staying in hotels all over the USA and Canada. Stay safe.

1 Like

Keep us updated, Jeff. Glad you are on a “mission” so to speak. Kinda exciting.

1 Like

Good luck Swine! Hats off to ya.

1 Like

Aloha Jeff,

I agree with Clay. Please keep us updated. Sounds very exciting, meaningful and exhausting!

GHG!

1 Like

Good luck, Swine. We appreciate the work you do.

1 Like

Thanks Swine for all you do! Best of luck and take care of yourself…

1 Like

Without getting too technical, here’s what we’re testing. They got some antibodies from a real patient who got covid-19 and then recovered. Then scientists were able to duplicate those antibodies in the lab. We’re going to see if giving those lab-generated antibodies to healthy people protects them from getting the virus. It’s not a vaccine but it basically works the same way. We go to nursing homes where someone tested positive within the last 7 days for covid-19 and sign up both patients and staff for the study.

Amazing stuff Jeff. Prayers for success.

1 Like

I’m glad that you are able to participate in such valuable research. I hope that all goes well.

Heading out for day two. It should be noted that the study is double-blinded and randomized. That means that a person may get an IV with the antibodies, or get an IV with salt water. She won’t know what she gets and neither will I. Then we compare the antibody group with the salt water group (obviously somebody knows what she got, it’s just not me) over the next six months with exams and blood work and if they were ever hospitalized, etc.

6 months huh, oh well. Hang in there buddy.

That one is similar to ours but not identical. Ours focuses on nursing homes only.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.