On IMG's partnership with Arkansas, $6 million Wi-Fi investment

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017 … ement-img/

Hopefully this solves the WiFi problem up and down Razorback Road.

Also a good point regarding ticket prices. They are higher than we would like but they’re lower than they could be, and that’s because of marketing and media revenue.

It’s crazy to me that IMG had to suggest this to the university. How could they NOT know about this. It is the single most irritating part of the Razorback gameday experience.

IMG approached Arkansas about the investment, but it was something Jeff Long told me he had already been exploring. Long said he knew the best way to get Wi-Fi enhanced was to write it into this deal with IMG.

Thanks for the quick reply. I stand corrected.

After looking at the data, I was a little surprised that Arkansas’ ticket access point was so low compared to other schools. The only places where you can access season tickets for less are: Mississippi State ($220), Kentucky ($175) and Vanderbilt ($120).

At Auburn, it’s $755 after a mandatory $280 donation.

Teams that don’t require a donation fee are: Tennessee, LSU, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

They’ve known about it for years and haven’t been able to get it right. It was so frustrating to have AT&T service and have them as the lead sponsor with tons of ads during the game over the PA and big screen and not have service.

The contrast between our games and a pro game is stark. The pro games have much more access.

Someone started another thread asking why it matters. Plenty of good reasons were named. For me, I enjoy being able to check stats, keep up with games across the country in real time, check on injuries, find out if plays under review are likely to go our way, etc.

And, as Matt pointed out, they’re essentially competing with cable and satellite. For better or worse, lots of people would often rather save 8-10 hours and several hundred dollars and watch from the comfort of their homes than drive a long time round trip, deal with traffic before and after, pay for parking, hike to stadium and back to car, pay for tickets and concessions, etc.

We are all super fans and most of us go to lots of games but attendance is down all over the country in most sports and the above are all reasons. They’d be fools not to try to address it in every way they can.

The AT&T Internet at the Cowboys’ stadium is great and easy to access. I think Arkansas is smart to work with AmpThink, if that is the company that wins the bid. AmpThink has kind of become a force to be reckoned with in the sports Wi-Fi business. It also has the bid for Wi-Fi at Mall of America in Minneapolis.

In reading up on AmpThink, I found that it won the bid to install Wi-Fi at Kyle Field after the remodel. Like Mercedes-Benz Stadium, it placed the majority of the Wi-Fi access points under the seats for less interference. The AmpThink CEO said that Kyle Field users consumed 5.7 terabytes of Wi-Fi during the last Alabama game there.

The Athletic department has been looking into this for about 6 years. The problem initially was figuring out “How” to to do it both technically and financially in a way that made sense.

I’m amazed so many people need the Internet while at a razorback game. Not sure I even take my phone.

As bad as the WiFi and cell connectivity has been at RRS, you might as well leave it at home. But if that were corrected… I have been known to check our stats during a game (they never announce them and rarely put anything useful on the ribbon boards), look up other scores, and return texts from my friends and family that are usually game related (and once wasn’t game related; it was a whole lot more serious that that, and I ended up leaving the stadium early as a result). Fortunately that text did come through in spite of the bad WiFi.