OK, this bugs me

In today’s pre-Vanderbilt news meet, Mike Anderson said:

“I don’t think we’re playing bad basketball. I think we got some bad breaks.”

Is that his attempt to boost his team’s morale?

Statistically speaking, this is the worst defensive team Arkansas has had since Lanny Van Eman was coach.

RR, I hope that’s what he doing. Otherwise he’s clueless about our defensive effort. Surely not. :wink:

Only a select few razorback fans on message board/social media thinks this team is playing bad basketball. You don’t get to a 17-6 record and have a top 4 record in your conference by playing “bad basketball.” We’ve had some bad games, that much is true, but overall this team has played well. And I know myself, all of my friends that go to the games, all of my family, have enjoyed watching the hogs play this year, outside of a few games. I just got off the phone with one of my friends that said we need to go catch another game soon.

The attendance at home games speaks volumes about the confidence of the fans in the team/coaching. I know also that the availability of the games on TV cuts down on attendance with anyone but local die hard fans and also the time of some games will affect attendance. But attendance is still a indicator if but a small indicator that things are not perceived as going well for the Hogs. Having said that we should have a good crowd against Vandy as the team will be fighting every night from here out for opportunity to go to the dance. We have been a very good team at times and we have the talent to run the table for the remainder of the regular season if our energy matches our talent and our coaches make good decisions. But we have seen this past weekend with Ky,Kansas,and Baylor that as always talent without effort will get you defeated. Lets go Hogs, WPS

[quote=“Blu”]
Only a select few razorback fans on message board/social media thinks this team is playing bad basketball. You don’t get to a 17-6 record and have a top 4 record in your conference by playing “bad basketball.” We’ve had some bad games, that much is true, but overall this team has played well. And I know myself, all of my friends that go to the games, all of my family, have enjoyed watching the hogs play this year, outside of a few games. I just got off the phone with one of my friends that said we need to go catch another game soon.[/quote

In my opinion that is a pretty broad statement and virtually impossible to substantiate. With the possible exception of a few, I would imagine that each member of this board and other hog related boards have their own circle of friends, co-workers, or family. You happen to belong to a circle that seems to believe that we are playing well.

I can only speak for the members of my circle, and to a person they have very little confidence in what is going on up on the hill. Most were happy when MA was hired, and believed that he could restore greatness. That feeling seems to be slipping. In fact, other than a few fans on this message board and others, I can’t seem to find very many fans at all that are excited about the level of play, and have a degree of confidence in the hope for the future.

The decreased attendance at games is a decent litmus test of the overall level of interest/confidence that the fans are placing on the program right now. As has been noted, televised games certainly can and do contribute to that along with game times, etc.

Everyone has their own opinion, but based on the evidence that I personally encounter from my circle, I would say that interest/confidence is declining.

Well it is fact they played horrible at Missouri and Oklahoma State. So there’s no need to even comment. A blind man could listen and know how bad they played!
This is the real issue. 8 games are left and if they go at least 6 - 2 or win the SEC tournament turn out the light until next year.
There are 2 teams that could be losses and not hurt too bad but get beat by LSU and it’s over. A win over Florida would greatly help.
Players need to take some pride in their performance by playing well.

They sold 13,000+ season tickets, that’s one of the better numbers in the country. I’m sure it will rank among the top 15-20 once the season ends. So, unless we got a ton of rich fans that just waste money on a team and coach they have no hope for, then there’s still significant interest from the fan base.

And my point to the OP is this is not a bad team, but rather have had some bad games, just like most teams in the country. But, I’m starting to get like some around here, it’s pointless to argue with facts and logic and try to have a civil conversation about basketball, most of you guys have in your mind this team is bad and CMA is a bad coach. I’m about to start just ignoring certain posters, because they don’t do anything but show up to complain about losses and don’t offer any significant information/conversation all they are good at is complaining.

It is possible that actual attendance could be more of a telling factor than actual season tickets purchased due to the possibility that some season ticket holders can afford to sustain their tickets, despite not attending regularly, because they don’t want to lose their seats regardless of who the coach is. I have no evidence of that, just a theory.

At the end of the day, all coaches will ultimately be judged on the body of their work, particularly with respect to wins and losses, and postseason play, or lack thereof.

We are all Razorback fans who want the program to succeed, or we wouldn’t even be on this forum. We just don’t all agree on all things Razorback related, as is the case with life in general.

[quote=“Genuineswine”]
It is possible that actual attendance could be more of a telling factor than actual season tickets purchased due to the possibility that some season ticket holders can afford to sustain their tickets, despite not attending regularly, because they don’t want to lose their seats regardless of who the coach is. I have no evidence of that, just a theory.

At the end of the day, all coaches will ultimately be judged on the body of their work, particularly with respect to wins and losses, and postseason play, or lack thereof.

We are all Razorback fans who want the program to succeed, or we wouldn’t even be on this forum. We just don’t all agree on all things Razorback related, as is the case with life in general.
[/quote]

You obviously haven’t been on here long. There’s some that are unhappy no matter what.

And as far as attendance, our actual attendance will end up being around top 20 in the country as well. But regardless of what attendance is, you’ve kinda gone off of my point which is this isn’t a bad team, and there’s still fans interested in the program despite what some of our fans would lead you to believe. And apparently you guys are around people that don’t go to the games and don’t have much hope about the direction, I was just saying people I’m around we go to the game and we have a good time. There’s been some good games at BWA arena this year.

This team scores well at times, has bursts of brilliance on the scoring end. Its defense is extremely spotty and, overall, the worst defensive team I’ve seen since dust was in the Barnhill air. While MA has been here, Arkansas’s defense has never reached the performance level of his better teams at other schools. Maybe MA is settling for this, but we got issues. Our frontcourt was destroyed by Missouri’s pedestrian big men. Simply get a little less destroyed, and Arkansas wins that game easily.

My friends are falling into these groups:
-supportive of CMA but don’t think he has the players to fully run his system
-supportive of CMA but are tired of trapping rotations that leave players wide open, bad fundamentals on defense and rebounding. Stuck in the 90’s is a term they use.
-ready for a change but not willing to lose the next 2 classes that are so impressive. They are sick of bad fundamentals and watching our glory days varporize further.
-very few want him fired this year no matter what. They are usually younger or my friend’s kids.

Most fans are level headed and see that we have had too much turmoil and need stability. Many fans also know that we will have a hard time attracting a top coach as a result of the turmoil and today’s players weren’t even born when we won the 94 National Championship.

To these friends I’d like to ask how long it should take to get the players to run his system? Six would seem like ample time, but I suppose they’d argue eight or ten?

They have their heads in the sand. Most of my friends feel CMA needs to stop living in the 90’s, but want to keep CMA with different defense and fundamentals.

The dispute won’t end this season regardless of how the team finishes. Remember back in 1999-2000. That was when Frank Broyles agitated behind the scenes trying to raise support for firing Nolan Richardson. It was the genesis of the “dark side” and all that crap online.

Arkansas finished the regular season 15-14, 7-9 in the SEC. Nonconference losses were to Iowa State, OU, Wake Forest, Providence and Memphis. In the SEC, Florida, LSU and Tennessee were strong, and Kentucky and Auburn won well over 20 games. Five SEC teams were in the top 25. NASTY schedule, and Arkansas was an imperfect team + didn’t get Joe Johnson until after the first semester.

The Razorbacks did an extraordinary thing and won four straight to win the SEC Tournament. Had nothing left for a first-round NCAAT game, but we got there. Nolan survived, but it was only a matter of time after that.

To get there from a national title, it took seasons of 20-13, 18-14, 24-9, 23-11, 19-15. Five years to go from the pinnacle to the verge of getting fired. Year six was 20-11. Year seven, 14-15.

Mike Anderson’s seasons at Arkansas: 18-14, 19-13, 22-12, 27-9, 16-16, 17-6 and counting. No reason to expect to be around .500 in year seven. But fans are divided according to their views on style of play, recruiting + how much they envy more successful teams. Feels very similar.

Just for argument’s sake, let’s say MA gets fired in March. Who’s going to come in and fix the problem? The recruiting class is already on board, although I’m sure some of them would disappear if MA is out the door. And what is the current roster’s problem? Defense. Is somebody going to magically come in and get these guys to start guarding 3-point shooters? Don’t hold your breath.

I’m not saying MA should be given an infinite amount of time. Just be aware that the next coach, whoever he is, would be starting over and we’d go down, not up, initially.

You make some great points.

My frustration stems from our lack of success in awful awful basketball conference. The conference was much better during Nolan’s day than it is currently. I don’t know who I heard (possibly Mattingly, possibly Parrish or Norlander), but the SEC is currently more closely related to Conference USA during Cal’s hey day at Memphis than to the ACC. I don’t think that is far fetched.

You mentioned 5 top 25 teams in the SEC and a NASTY schedule. Loses to Iowa State, Memphis, Wake, OU and Providence in the nonconference. We aren’t anywhere near that now.

We should be excelling while the conference is so poor. Sadly, I fear that that we are part of the reason that it is.

Incredibly premature, but why not take a stab at it? DISCLAIMER: am not advocating a firing at this time

If a change is made and I am put in charge of making the hire, obviously Gregg Marshall is the first call I make. I wonder about how much we can actually spend on a HC and it is easy to spend someone else’s money, however Marshall is making $3.3 million/ year. Remember that thread a few days ago about the windfall that the SEC Network has been? Let’s put it to good use.

Next, I am forcing T. Boone Pickens to reach into his pockets to keep Brad Underwood who is making $1million/ yr. We all saw how beautiful his offense was (though that may be more of a reflection of the porous Arkansas defense) and how he has Oklahoma State trending in the right direction in his first year. They seem to be peaking right now and got a huge road win at West Virginia, but look at what he did at Stephen F Austin. In his 3 years at SFA the lumberjacks went 53-1 in conference. The upset VCU in the first round in his first year and last year as a #14 seed they beat #3 WVU in the first round before losing by one in the next round to ND. We could quadruple his salary if we wanted. Again, easy to spend someone else’s money.

There are others that would interest me, but those are the two I would call first.

Some thoughts that help me with the frustration…

The 1990’s Arkansas Razorbacks are not going to show up tonight or any other night this season. This team is not that good, and they’re not going to get any new players this season. I try to temper my expectations accordingly.

Nonetheless, this is probably the best Razorback team, with the possible exception of the Portis team (and maybe the first Pelphrey team?), since Nolan Richardson was the head coach.

Give the other team some credit for having a good game. The three losses to Ms. State, OK State, and Missouri were poor performances by the Hogs, AND were outstanding performances by the opposition. I know a poor performance by one team helps the other team look better, and vice versa, but I think all three of those teams played extremely well in those games.

Why do Arkansas fans always mention Greg Marshall, LOL. That’s not realistic.

Greg Marshall has turned down much better jobs than Arkansas. He has all but made it clear he ain’t leaving Witchita State for anything less than a blue blood job. And why in the world would he risk his career to come here? There’s 0 incentives for him to come to Arkansas. Unless he wants to come here and be 3rd or 4th in the SEC and have fans complain about it the whole step of the way, because they think we should be Kentucky. He can make more money at Wichita State (which he does) and continue to dominate the MVC, with essentially all the job security in the world.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but as for me I would call him because I think he is the best coach that could possibly be available. All he can say is No.

Chris Petersen was never leaving Boise State for anything other than a Blue Blood Job… until he took Washington.