Offseason update

I had a long talk with Matt Hobbs today about his pitching staff. A few notes:

• There are four leading candidates to be starters next season - Patrick Wicklander, Connor Noland, Kole Ramage and Kevin Kopps. Hobbs told me he wants to have six pitchers on each staff that he trusts to start a game. It sounds like Caden Monke has put himself in a position to be a starter, which is not surprising with how well he pitched this fall.

• Closer options right now are Zebulon Vermillion, Elijah Trest and Marshall Denton.

• Mark Adamiak didn’t do a lot this fall, but has been a standout in some of his bullpens lately. Adamiak’s fastball is hitting 93-95 right now. He was committed to Wichita State, but signed late with Arkansas after Todd Butler was let go.

• Caleb Bolden is coming back strong from Tommy John surgery. He threw a great bullpen this week on the one-year anniversary of his surgery.

I’ll have a lot more from that conversation in the coming days, including Hobbs’ thoughts on why he wanted to stay in the college game.

2 Likes

Thanks, Matt. I’m excited about our pitching staff and I sure hope they all stay healthy. Our tailgate got to know the Monke family last year and I enjoy watching his progress.

It’s nice to hear about the pitching. I sure hope Bolden has a good year after the injury and surgery!
Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update on Caleb. He’s a good kid. I’m sure he will battle back. He could also swing pretty good when he was in high school. Saw him pitch a no hitter and hit two dingers and a double in the same game one night.

My apologies for the delay in getting these stories written. The football hire and a personal matter delayed things. I hope to have the Hobbs story for you all by tomorrow.

Totally understand! Looking forward to it!