Offense

In my opinion the offensive line is the key to any offense. Regardless of the coach and style, they can have success with a great oline and bad results with a bad line. And obviously our line is a work in progress.

Having said all that, can someone tell me where CCMs offense is relative to all of the other RPO offenses out there in terms of uniqueness or creativity? Are our results going to be exclusively correlated to our players, or is there going to be a result level higher than our level of players?

It alarms me when Nick Starkel refers to our offense as basically the same as Sumlins but just has different names for things.

Obviously last year was not impressive and seemed woefully simple in style. Totally expected with first year install, no qb, bad oline.

When we have it all, will it be an offensive powerhouse relative to the conference?

Not trying to be negative just wanted to hear informed opinions.

First, you are right on about the Oline. We have beat that one to death for good reasons. The last few days, the Oline has been getting some good press. Is it real or hype? We will see.

I am not close to an expert about the meat of your Post. I do know that the SEC has great coaching. I don’t think you are going to outsmart or scheme those guys. Sure, you might find a mismatch or something (Bobby was great at that), but I don’t think the idea about this scheme or that being the answer is not so in the SEC. Find what works best for the players you have and go with it. Still, I think for the most part, it will come down to Jimmys and Joes. You better have them and we have not had many at all.

Like Summlin? I don’t know, but they look similar as I understand it. Are they the same?

Again, I don’t think you will outsmart the SEC coaching past perhaps a drive or so.

Both sides of the ball starts in the trenches.
These spread offenses are all very similar as far as basic concept. Quick reads and communication by skill players.
The Jimmys & the Joes is what it takes, maybe not at every position but the best J’s & J’s have to be athletic enough & smart enough to be able to change on the fly in this league. So the coaches can do the same. It’s very difficult to trick or out coach the coaches in this league, at least not for more than a quarter or so.
We just can’t afford to have very many or any more Olinemen go down at this point

RPO is built on the concept that the defense can’t take away everything, so you see what they are trying to take away and go the other way. Kind of like where things were 40-50 years ago with the veer and wishbone option offenses; they couldn’t cover both inside and outside running adequately. The scheme doesn’t have to be hugely complicated to do that, the football equivalent of Wee Willie Keeler’s “hit 'em where they ain’t” in baseball. I suspect Clemson’s RPO is not greatly different than ours either, which makes sense because Chad Morris designed it as their OC.

Thanks for all the responses.

I’d like to think the results are not exclusively correlated to the recruiting rankings and the unpredictable ways the ball can bounce in a game. I’m really hoping some innovation of some kind, even if that innovation is perfect execution or whatever…will hopefully give us results better than our current general talent level. Frank Broyles was able to do that, but I get that’s a high bar.

I really like Chad. Maybe like Dabo his “innovation” is energy, team spirit, hard work, recruiting and high speed (although I have yet to see the speed).

Here’s to seeing unique light in the tunnel this year in whatever form it takes.

As has been stated by earlier posters, the defense cannot cover everything on every play, so assuming that our skill players on offense can do everything specified on each play, it boils down to can the offensive line protect enough to let the play develop and is the QB “smart” enough/well coached enough to know which option on the play is capable of working. The rapid pace (should we get there) makes it more difficult (less time) for the defense to set up for the best coverage of that particular set, again assuming that the QB can immediately see where the weakness lies. The difference in the schemes may lie in the coaches ability to install variations from the same formation, knowing the tendencies and weaknesses of the defenders that week. (I cannot really even spell football, but that’s how I see it. Expert corrections and modifications welcome, 'cause that’s why I pay for this board.)

If you will recall, last year, we never fully installed the offense. Coach said repeatedly that he had to slow roll it because of the inability of the players to pick it up. I remember we were well into the season and he was saying that only half the offense was installed. That has to change this year, and I believe it will. Just the familiarity with the offense by the returning players with two experienced QBs has to help. That’s one of the things I thought about when I heard they were going to split the staff and players to maximize reps. They have to install the offense this month, all or close to all of it, if we are going to have a snowball’s chance. I’ll be looking at articles to see what the coaches are saying about percent installed as we get closer to the first game. Maybe one of the reporters will ask.

Do you guys think fully installed offense with average level of SEC talent (which is a lot of talent) will give us above average offensive results?

Chad learned it from Gus, installed it at Clemson, and is now using his RPO scheme at Arkansas. It is the dominant offense in college and high school football today and is now influencing the pros. Everyone has refined it but its basic concepts are the same wherever you go whether you are at A&M, SMU, or Arkansas. All defenses are schemed and practiced against it so you won’t be surprising anyone no matter if you run a little more or deep pass a little more or RPO your quarterback a little more. It is what it is. You have to get better players to run it better or to defend it better. Clemson is not the NC because they are doing something unique offensively. They are the NC because they have been and are even now recruiting as good or better than Bama.

I think you give Chad some success on the field and his recruiting will be much improved which should lead to more success and more recruiting improvement. That will just take some time to do. JMVVVVHO.

So what I’m hearing is that this offense doesn’t really matter since everybody is doing it and it all comes down to recruiting…my least favorite part of college football. Thank goodness chad is really good at it.

I’m also hearing that this is the same as Gus’s and others offense with some variations. Gus has much higher levels of talent than Arkansas, and likely will have in the future, but has had too many years of 7 wins so they may fire him. So I guess I should expect this as our ceiling, which of course is better than where we are.

Yes sir it doesn’t matter the offense but it does make a difference the quality of players. I used to look at the number of stars attached to a young man’s name but it is actually more important to get a kid who is being heavily recruited by schools like Bama, Georgia, and LSU.

Also I don’t think you need a huge offensive line (road graders) in this offense because of the RPO where you hit them with a quick tailback when they are looking for a pass play. Or vice versa. Just give me the Jimmy’s and Joe’s and we’ll beat most anyone.

Methinks thou are perhaps undervaluing the role of a good vs not so good coach on those Jimmy’s and Joe’s.