Off Topic about my golf round on a slow day

Went to the Park course yesterday at Hot Springs Country Club. My goal for years has been to break 90 regularly. I have started doing that off and on for the last year except for a bad 3 or 4 months this winter.

I have never broken 80 nor did I think I ever would. At hole 9 yesterday I was at even par with 8 pars. Unheard of for a hacker like me. I had a six foot putt to shoot even par on the front nine which I had never done in my life.

Made the putt and almost cried right there on the green. Would go on to shoot 42 on the back for a 78. I almost don’t want to play again after that round…lol…next time out I may shoot a 101.

Now does anyone know how we can fit Council in??? LOL

5 Likes

Muss math…

Nice job on the 78! I only broke 90 twice and one of those was at War Memorial, which barely counts (although it counts more than the local pitch and putt here in Wilmington).

I’m just hoping I can get under 100 again for now.

3 Likes

I broke 80 twice at Razorback but we all know that’s not legit. At the club we lived on prior to moving to our condo I shot a 79 once. I had no idea because I had two grandson the last 5 holes. I was more worried about them tearing up the bunker than my round. Recently I shot a 90 and was happy. I’m not good on the greens. Just like my FT shooting. In my church league basketball days every time I went to the line my teammates/buddies put towels over their heads. And sometimes chanted for my wife to shoot them.

5 Likes

Played today at Paradise Valley. I am not saying what I shot other than to say I hit 10-12 shots that were glorious. But there were 5-6 drives that locked me into jail.

2 Likes

Played a course gin Pryor,Ok last week. Had a smooth 93 with a pair of 9’s. One on a par 4 and one on a par 5. Left my short game in the truck.:man_shrugging:t3:🫣

2 Likes

Golf is such a mental grind some days, and other days it just clicks for you. Enjoy the good days and keep playing. When I have a good day, I want to replicate it the next time. Sucky golf isn’t as much fun as good golf obviously, but to me it’s about being out there most days clearing my mind.

2 Likes

Yes, golf is for hiding from the other stresses in life, and trying to stay away from the mental stress of improving your game. It is breathtaking from both a good and bad angle, but the highs are really tall and the lows soon forgotten.

2 Likes

Hoping to sneak out for 9 holes of stress management this afternoon. Get a little vitamin D.

2 Likes

This is so true, what a great analogy!

I play by myself mostly except when I play in tournaments twice a month but being out there alone is great therapy for me.

3 Likes

When I played a ton of golf, I was a 4-5 handicap. I seldom play and may get two or three rounds in a year now. I played in the recent FCA 4-man scramble and I was horrible. My game has gotten worse the last few years to the point it’s not even fun now. More embarrassing than anything.

I might be done until I retire and looking for things to keep me busy. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve lost so much distance to the point it’s shocking.

I went from being ate up with the sport to not caring.

1 Like

Golf in retirement is fun … being able to play when courses aren’t too busy and pace is what you want it to be is preferable over “hurry up and wait” weekend golf. Most of our leisure trips involve golf these days … played Payne’s Valley, Ozark National and Buffalo Ridge Springs last week. Just being outdoors and moving around - whether golfing, fishing or hunting - is good for us over-60 types.

Wax

1 Like

Got my 9 in, but it was definitely hit and wait golf. Nine holes took 3 hours. Teenager in front of us was dropping 3 balls on every hole, ranger saw it and did nothing. Shot 55 which was about what I expected. Hit 4 fairways with the new driver but approach shots were awful and I burned the edge or lipped out four times.

If the muni is going to be like this on a Wednesday afternoon, I may start looking at some of the private courses around here, which are pretty reasonable (like $100 per month).

On the bright side, on a course with plenty of OB and water, I bought a dozen Srixon balls a few weeks ago and after 18 holes (I’ve played each nine once), I still have all 12.

1 Like

If I play on weekend, it’s after 3 pm on Sunday.

Or the first tee time Saturday morning(7:15) in this heat…ugh! So long pleasant spring, welcome hot summer days!

I play every weekday except Wednesday and start at 7:30. MMy golf buddies are in their eighties, and while I’m a youngish 74 and can hit much farther, they beat me like a drum—every day!

1 Like