Odom's defense

I’m by far no expert in football…

But I can’t understand for the life of me why Odom didn’t design any blitzes to pressure the QB all game.

Can someone explain what went into this scheme today?

1 Like

Rush 3 and drop 8! That’s what I saw!
Passive defense with very little coverage on receivers! They run to the open spots and play catch!

1 Like

It is like death by a thousand paper cuts. Brutal.

Last year, Odom’s rush 3 and defend double deep with 8 dominated MissState, OleMiss, most pass happy hurry up offenses we played. You can see the respect being paid to him by how many folks have copied his scheme. Now, the hurry up pass happy offenses have learned you have to run the ball to be successful against that scheme. It is a constant battle between whether to give up and blitz or rush more to counter them and take a chance on a breakdown for a big play or not. Odom chose to keep with forcing them to make play after play in front of his defenders hoping for a tipped ball or other breakdown for a big play for us. With the material he has to work with, he is probably making the right call. We got former walk-ons all over that defense getting the max out of their talent and I trust him to be giving them their best chance for success. We won. This team beat A&M at their place so it is a very good team and we just proved to be the better TEAM with our last scoring drive. Enjoy it. It has been a long time coming. JMVVVVVHO

10 Likes

I think it’s a solid philosophy with the personnel we have. A QB has to be very patient to defeat it. And they have to repeat it over and over again.

3 Likes

I’m not doubting it’s use, I’m questioning why he never blitzed? I’ve seen him blitz with this defense plenty.

Maybe Catalon is just that big of a loss for this defense, but I just don’t understand at least trying at some point instead of playing the same thing and praying for success.

1 Like

I think he has great respect and fear for their ability to take advantage of the blitz with their short passing game for big runs after the catch. If he blitzed three times and they got a big play 1 out of 3 we get killed. I suspect Odom knows when to blitz and when not to better than us. Blair, Henry, Morgan, and Clark were all walk-ons with few other options to play football. Odom has, at times, gotten incredible production out of these guys, but their defects can be exploited by great athletes and great offensive coordinators.

2 Likes

generalhog

22m

I’m by far no expert in football…

But I can’t understand for the life of me why Odom didn’t design any blitzes to pressure the QB all game.

Can someone explain what went into this scheme today?

Hold on, Jeff will when he comes to the board.

1 Like

Other than the final drive, I thought the defense played well.

Williams was getting after Rodgers quite a bit.

I think when you look at the totality of our defensive talent, blitzing would have been suicidal. We may have gotten to him now and then, but he would have destroyed the coverage more than the blitz gets home. Rush 3, force him short, rally to the ball, and limit deep shots. Depend on our offense to score more.

It worked, but it’s a scary way to go. I think with more talent on defense, you will see a different team.

its a bend and don’t break scheme but more often than not we break anyway and allow them to keep our defense on the field for 6-7 min…
All the great defenses I see are pressure type defense bc they realize its all about affecting the QB,making him uncomfortable and by doing so they get INT and 3 and outs and if they give up a big play so what,defense wasn’t on the field long so they will fresher next series and they get to put their offense back on the field and wear their defense out…I am 100% in favor of Attacking defense bc I have had to block both schemes and it is WAY harder to block 4,5,6 guys bc all it takes is 1 OL to miss a block and QB is hit or sacked,either way he starts to get uncomfortable.

1 Like

It’s right there in front of you, but you can’t see it.

He’s playing the percentages.

If you don’t have a secondary that can play lock-down man coverage, blitzing will lead to chunk plays. An offense has to convert FEWER chunk plays to score.

Playing zone coverage forces an offense to convert more plays to score. Statistically speaking, the more plays an offense has to run to score, the more likely they are to be unsuccessful, especially if they are impatient.

Yes, Odom could afford to blitz more with Catalon leading the secondary.

Now it’s not such a sound strategy.

We’re gonna have to recruit our way out of this delimma.

4 Likes

I believe the theory is that if you put too much pressure on the quarterback, he will hit the short pass to running backs or other players leaking out of the backfield. They get open because of the pursuit to the quarterback. Kentucky got killed last week due to this. I saw numerous times where the linebackers and even defensive lineman had a chance to make a run at the MSU quarterback, but backed off for that very reason. At least the guys were doing what they were coached to do. I can appreciate that. And I’m not defensive coordinator, but this seems like at least an arguably legitimate way to play defense against Leach. He has a damn good offensive mind, and I’m sure he is difficult to defend from a defensive coordinator standpoint.

Before this thread gets out of hand, and although I don’t subscribe to the floating bar of expectations theory, and never have. And even though this defense rushing 3 and dropping 8 does get frustrating watching a QB have all day to wait or scramble and keep a play alive while our 3 Dline man are getting beat to death all day, and our secondary is running around all day trying to stay 10 yard behind everyone.

We did have 3 sacks. Incredible! We also had 3
Missed FG by our opponent and got a huge call.

But, we made another step toward the bar. It was a big win for the program direction. Hard tough fought win. Maybe harder than it had to be, but a win. I’ll take it. Still a lot to play for, more than just finally a SEC win, more than just .500, a chance to win 8 and a good Bowl, a number back in front of our name. GHG!

5 Likes

Agreed.

I don’t think Odom is playing the percentages when he won’t blitz on 2nd and 20 when you are playing deep to avoid a TD on Miss State last drive. That was numbers mistake in my opinion.

He had a handful of plays where I’d bet the numbers are going to tell you to take your chances with a blitz that may give them and underneath throw if you don’t get there, but better than a downfield throw that gives them a chance.

2 Likes

Odom has never been one to blitz much. If he did blitz he would be putting more pressure on his safeties and hybrid position to cover faster receivers while being run defender. We do not have the LSU type athletes to run that.

It’s hard to debate you, but LSU is rushing more than three against Bama and having decent results. Granted MSU might pick out an open receiver if we had blitzed, but they did anyway with our limited rush—and the QB had time to eat his double meat cheeseburger while he was choosing which receiver to throw to. That boy ate something like thirteen cheeseburgers while our poor boys were battling two blockers each.

Talk about indigestion

3 Likes

If we had the talent thats on the field in the bama-lsu game, we could blitz more.

5 Likes

Yep, top four in the SEC talent wise. I hope LSU goes all out to win this game and forces Bama to play at a heightened level that ends with LSU losing and beat up and exhausted.

2 Likes