Observations from Watching LSU-Bama

1. Bama gets away with defensive pass interference a lot by their DBs. Several times last night, they hit the LSU WRs early or grabbed arms early, and no call.
  2. Bama also had several targeting no calls. They are rough on ball carriers & lead with the crown a lot. LSU would’ve given them a closer score with a few of these penalties being called properly.
  3. Both teams have tremendous defensive talent & spead. It was fun to watch. Jalen was the difference in that outcome. A few missed tackles here & there by LSU on the QB really broke their back on those scoring drives.
  4. Devin White at LB is a player.
  5. It’s going to get ugly next Saturday in Baton Rouge. I just hope the Tigers sleep walk some with the early start. I foresee them dominating both LOS’s.

No doubt we are in for a beat down. Guice will get 300 yards.

Clemson got those pass INT calls down the stretch in the national title game. They aren’t called so much against Alabama in the SEC. When SEC refs are not calling their playoff games, they will get called for three to four pass INT penalties. Book it.

That’s correct Clay. The only time last year that those calls are made against Bama was that Clemson game. I forgot about that. Too bad SEC refs have the “Bama bias.”

[quote=“ClayHenry”]
Clemson got those pass INT calls down the stretch in the national title game. They aren’t called so much against Alabama in the SEC. When SEC refs are not calling their playoff games, they will get called for three to four pass INT penalties. Book it.
[/quote]Unfortunately for us, all of our games with Bama are staffed by SEC officials.

Not that it matters so much right now; but I hope that’s not always the case.

I can’t think of nor have I read any logical reason to believe that we can upset or even play close to LSU, and then I read where Iowa blows out Ohio St and I think why not us. Our guys have not give up or quit on the coach yet and they have had plenty of opportunities to cry calf rope,uncle but they haven’t that I’m aware of to this point. As hard as they are to watch I’m like a moth to the flame I can’t help but get drawn in every Saturday. We may very well get beat down this weekend but I have to say you can see some guys that have the talent to be difference maker on this team like Hammonds, Warren,Stewart,Jones, Kelly and several others and that’s what keeps me going week to week. We have talent but it is still in the development stage and that’s where a lot of friction is amongst the base and CBB, the slow or undeveloped players that we expected to be making contributions and helping us when are not. We are overdue to play a solid game this season and my hopes are that we make a positive showing against LSU ! WPS

i saw some show on Alabama and Saban was teaching the defensive backs. I noticed what he taught in watching the LSU game. He was teaching to use a straight arm into the chest of the receiver off the line of scrimmage to disrupt their route. almost a punch. I think this is legit near the line of scrimmage. In our game with then our receivers were not schooled or strong enough to get over this. Ole Miss with their success against Bama threw a lot of jump balls, plus their receivers were big, strong, and fast. We don’t throw the jump ball much if any at all. Whatever Saban teaches they do effectively, at least in SEC games where they get away with most anything. Don’t dare tell me SEC officials protect the team more capable of possibility making it to the play off or a top bowl because they do in my opinion. In any sport.

I remember Devin White wanted to play running back. Arkansas had offered him at Linebacker. He went to LSU because they supposedly offered him at RB, although, he might have been an LSU commitment at any position. He is a beast. Big, fast and savvy. I just wish he were wearing cardinal and white with a hog on the helmet.

Had Bama played wearing a Razorback uniform last Saturday, LSU might have won the game. There were several PI no calls where the DB didn’t turn his head, or made contact. That’s a flag for us every time.

Makes me think back to Saban’s first year at Bama. We were ranked 16, Bama was unranked. We were up 38-34, and needed a stop to win the game. If I recall, we stopped them twice, but two phantom PI calls kept the Bama drive alive. They scored with 8 sec left to win the game.

I could never figure out what that PI was called for in that game. Strange.

It’s amazing. They flat out mug WRs and if it’s ever called Saban loses his mind

I posted this before, but they played a 1q highlight montage and I saw 3 different obvious, not-called PIs on Bama.

[quote=“TVGHog”]

Makes me think back to Saban’s first year at Bama. We were ranked 16, Bama was unranked. We were up 38-34, and needed a stop to win the game. If I recall, we stopped them twice, but two phantom PI calls kept the Bama drive alive. They scored with 8 sec left to win the game.
[/quote]Another thing on that last drive. Bama was out of time outs, and the seconds were ticking away. They completed a pass to somewhere around our 10 . . . but clearly a yard or more from being a first down. The key point there is that the clock was at something like 25 seconds and SHOULD have kept on running, because it wasn’t a first down.

However, the refs mysteriously stopped the clock “for a measurement”. To NOBODY’S surprise, it was short. But Bama would have easily lost 10-15 seconds running up to the line and either running a legit play, or spiking the ball if the clock had not been stopped. As it was, by the time the chain gang was back in place on the sidelines, and the ball (and clock) was put into play, Bama was lined up and had had plenty of time to discuss the play selection and communicate it to their team.

If that sequence doesn’t happen, I don’t believe they win the game.