Observations from today's practice viewing

Arkansas held its final spring practice before spring break today. Here are a few things I saw:

• Liked the physicality between the receivers and defensive backs. They spent 5-10 minutes matching up a WR vs. a DB 1-on-1 and there were some fun matchups. Trey Knox vs. Montaric Brown was great every time. Knox overpowered him once. It was good to see Knox playing with some force as a bigger-body guy.

• Jayden Johnson, the freshman defensive back from Georgia, really looks the part. Sam Carter was really pushing him. At 6-2, 206, he’s impressive physically and has great size and length. He got some reps in with the second team this afternoon.

• Hudson Clark and Brown were the top corners, and Jalen Catalon and Malik Chavis were 1-2 at the high safety spot. Joe Foucha was working second-team nickel behind Greg Brooks.

• Knox got the best of Clark in a deep red-zone drill, and Karch Gardiner beat Simeon Blair once as well. Tyson Morris won his 1-on-1, Mike Woods dropped a slant in front of LaDarrius Bishop and was furious with himself over it. Treylon Burks beat Johnson on an out route. Burks was so smooth in his route it looked effortless. So impressed with Woods’ footwork.

• Carter was kind of hyping up Bishop during the time the receivers and defensive backs were matched up 1-on-1 near midfield. Bishop was playing off of a receiver when his turn started, but Carter stepped in, told him to press the receiver because, “Nobody out here can outrun you.” Bishop broke up a pass seconds later.

• The biggest play I saw completed was KJ Jefferson hitting Knox down the left sideline against Brown. Rocket Sanders also caught a deep ball from Kade Renfro vs. Nick Turner. Quarterbacks had a few overthrows in this segment.

• Taurean Carter got some run with the first defense. I mentioned last week that he and Marcus Miller are looking good physically. I’ve been hanging around the D-linemen quite a bit at practices. Not a lot of guys who lead vocally from what I can tell, but Isaiah Nichols was encouraging guys in position drills. The D-line looks like it has more guys who belong than in the past, and I’ve thought the same about the defensive backs.

3 Likes

Seems like a lot of overthrows every practice, got to develop touch

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.