O and D line SEC talent and depth

I know our thoughts all with family of JFB over this weekend.

As we look forward to this season I’m wondering the view on where we are on O line and D line talent.

I think coach admitted some time back he didn’t emphasize recruiting this area once but I may be mistaken on his comment.

No question he typically puts premium on lines and is his DNA.

Curious what the views are on our level of SEC talent and whether we have enough for 1 deep or maybe two deep, and whether we have enough there this season for run at conference title.

Thanks

We will soon know. There is no doubt they let or at least it did dip the past couple of years and paid the price last year. I think it has improved some. There is no way you can ever let that area of talent dip. It MUST be an area of imphasis 365 days a year.

Probably my biggest and really only significant complaint with coach BB is how the talent has declined in the lines. To win in the SEC, you must be 2 and better yet, 3 deep there.

[quote=“ColoradoHog”]
We will soon know. There is no doubt they let or at least it did dip the past couple of years and paid the price last year. I think it has improved some. There is no way you can ever let that area of talent dip. It MUST be an area of imphasis 365 days a year.

Probably my biggest and really only significant complaint with coach BB is how the talent has declined in the lines. To win in the SEC, you must be 2 and better yet, 3 deep there.
[/quote]

But don’t you think that we are potentially deeper in those areas at this point than we have ever been in the Bielema era (or has the wind been blowing the fumes from some of that Colorado “funny weed” this way)?

I think the Hogs are deeper than they have been, but still don’t think that’s deep enough. Not yet. Maybe another year of recruiting will help. Can they win with what personnel they have? Yes. Will they? Who knows.

Just asking, what area of recruiting has CBB emphasized? Receivers? The DL is not deep either…

I think he has emphasized all the right areas. Not getting the top players to sign isn’t always an indication that you aren’t emphasizing. Once the players are in the system, the strength coaches, nutrition, position coaches take over. To me, if we have a deficiency in the interior line, it isn’t because of recruiting, it’s something else. We have some talented guys on the roster who haven’t lived up to their billing, for whatever reason.

Great observation… I would agree with this assessment.

Emphasizing quality + avoiding reaches in recruiting is difficult at Arkansas. You easily can end up with insufficient numbers at the hardest-to-recruit positions.

This is the best the depth has been in the O and D line since Bret Bielema has been at Arkansas. I think it will take another jump up next year when some of the young ones are a year older. I like the defensive line better now than I thought I would going into the summer.

The pileline has to keep bringing in OL and DL every year and it would be great if you could redshirt a few each year. We are not in that position.
I personally look for a jump in performance this year on the DL. I also think the Scotta Harris and Dre Greenlaw on the field together will help this defense.
We have more speed on D. It is getting better.
As for competing for the top of the SEC west. In every game there a chances you have to score and chances you have to get a turnover. We would have to need the stars to line up to win it all. 9-3

I think the offensive line will wind up being much, much better. Obviously it needs to be. The run game isn’t where they want it now, but I suspect that’ll continue to improve. Pass pro has looked much improved.

I’m not completely sold about the defensive line. Sosa looks good. He’s legit. Taking a wait-and-see approach with the other DE’s. I like a few of them, but they’re still young and unproven. They need a few of the young guys to pop and take that next step. I don’t think they have a dominant nose tackle. They’ve got 3 they feel like they can rotate, but I don’t know that any of those are consistent difference makers. That’s why Emmit Gooden is such an important recruit. I do think the 3-4 gets more speed on the field and helps the defense as a whole.

How many SEC West teams had to start two true freshmen on the O line like coach B had to his first year…he was behind the 8-ball from the get go…

What do you think has happened? I have very unimpressed with either line, especially yesterday when SC was without three starters.

I don’t see this talent on either side. Our DL RARELY plays on the other side of the LOS. They mostly stick to OL like glue and play patty cakes. It has been that way since Trey Flowers graduated.

It’s hard to believe they can’t find someone that can beat out Colton Jackson. Surely they could just tell Brian Wallace “block the guy in front of you”.

Future does not look bright IMO unless the 3 OL we signed last year are ready to go. We didn’t realize how lucky we were to sign Kirkland, Skipper, Tretola and Ragnow in back to back classes.

kudo’s to the USC-e O-line coach – stitching their line together for the game yesterday–
Injuries have ravaged the Cocks this season

https://twitter.com/AugustusThe3rd/status/916812343786344449