Now Who’s Plan B for QB Transfer?

I’ll hang up and listen.

First name that comes to mind is the kid at North Texas who torched us, Mason Fine. Grew up not too far from Fayetteville (~70 miles), and rumors have his coach leaving UNT to take the Kansas State job. He might look for a place to land if the coach leaves, or maybe even if he doesn’t, to take a shot at a Power 5 conference.

Fine completed 64% of his passes this year for 3734 yards and 27 TDs. Only 5 picks which is a nice TD/int ratio, especially for throwing 38 passes a game. Not much of a running threat this year, netted 11 yards on 68 carries with 2 TDs.

I like … very much

Supposedly they have been in contact w a juco. Being reported on another site

I’d take fine, he’s a player. Definitely an upgrade of what we currently have.

When does North Texas play their bowl game?

They play Utah State on December 15.

Good that’s next week

Haven’t mentioned him yet because I’m not sure how far it will go. There’s been another JC QB they’ve contacted with, but pretty sure nothing will happen.

Can’t say for certain, but if they add another QB I’m leaning towards a grad-transfer.

Surely Shane Buechele is transferring and has only played in two games this year - can use as a redshirt year. Morris recruited him at SMU

If I recall correctly an article in the Dallas Morning News last week that quoted Mason Fine, saying he was staying at North Texas. That could change if the coach leaves but not likely.

It will be interesting to see first if they can identify a grad transfer that would have the skill set to come in and start next fall. Next, would come the difficulty of convincing such a player to come here with the issues surrounding our program.

It would be a waste to go after a grad transfer who couldn’t come in and start. And, you also know other schools would recruit that same player.

And, the fact we couldn’t land Kelly Bryant in spite of the long-standing relationship he had with Coach Morris would likely be used against us.

In order to run Morris’s offense you have to have a great athlete with the ability to run, make plays in open space, as well as throw the ball vertically.

Outside of the incoming QB Jefferson, we simply don’t have such a player.

Question is, is there a difference maker out there we can actually sign?

Alex Delton can run it very well, make plays in space, and throw it a little bit better than Ty… but not a lot better.

Easy for him to say now, but that can change with a new staff.

He was a 5 star out of high school if I remember correctly. Would he be a grad transfer?

transfer is up to him:

https://hookemheadlines.com/2018/11/19/ … er-target/

lots of other programs looking at him as transfer, gotta wait and see.

The idea of grad transfer has been floated for awhile, definitely before this season commenced

https://hookemheadlines.com/2018/06/01/ … nsferring/

Higher ceiling for Buechele than Fine by measurables

Buechele has only been at texas 2 1/2 years. I would think it doubtful that he could graduate at the end of this semester. So we probably could not get him in January as a grad transfer. Could he graduate in one more semester and 2 sessions of summer school? Doubtful, but maybe. But would we want him if he couldn’t come as a grad transfer until August? Would he be prepared to take over as starting QB without any spring ball or summer work-outs? If so, how then would that affect Noland, JSJ, and Jefferson, knowing they would all be sitting for 2 more years?

For me, I would prefer we bring in a grad transfer only. And one who can enroll in January . I don’t care for the idea of a Jr. College QB, unless we can get the absolute best JUCO dual threat QB in the country, who CCM believes would be the starter when he sets foot on campus.

Buechele looks like he could do the job.

I’m confused on the new redshirt rule:

Buechele has only played in two games this year. That said, if he transfers after this season does this season count as a redshirt and thus he’s eligible to play next Fall?

[quote=“JacksonReid”]

I’m confused on the new redshirt rule:

Buechele has only played in two games this year. That said, if he transfers after this season does this season count as a redshirt and thus he’s eligible to play next Fall?

[/quote]My understanding is he’s only eligible to play immediately if he has graduated.