Notice Chaney guarding PG last night?

Last night Chaney found himself guarding TSU PG because our guard failed to fight thru the screen. Some claimed this will never happen in the Muss system. Some of us had said it happens in every system. No way to avoid it other than give the PG clear path to the hoop.

This will happen again.

I guess I missed it when someone said there would never be switching in Muss’s system. Fundamentally the switching rules are still very, very different from MA’s system.

It wasn’t about not switching. It was about not ending up where the big is guarding the PG one on one.

If you are taking up for anderson and his switching tactics, yes it happened once last night that I saw, even commented on it to family and friends watching game. However, under anderson it occurred More often than not. Not so under muss. Under muss that is the first time seeing that. They hedge the screen w the big man but usually get the big man back inside against the post. I’ve never seen someone comment it would never happen under muss. Possible someone said that but I don’t remember it. In fact, I see an entirely different defense than what I saw previously. Also last night coach muss said they gambled too much, probably a reflection of previous coaches teaching. Also it was chaneys first game this season. Whether the guard didn’t fight through or Chaney didn’t switch back I have no clue. But the defense we are playing is much more fundamentally sound imho. Yes it will happen again for certain.

1 Like

It was a constant thing with Moses and Bobby and Daniel.

If it becomes a constant thing under the new coach, it will be a problem.

Once a game is not a problem.

Once a game is basketball as when Daniel Theis ended up a point guard Monday night against Phoenix.

I would anticipate these thing would occur especially with a player playing his first game after a 3 game suspension.

I did notice it, once.

I also noticed that it doesn’t happen roughly 15 times per game, which is nice.

I also notice that our close outs have not resulted in opponents dribbling right past us as they seemed to have done for the better part of a decade.

NBA analytics indicate that bigs switch about 15% time and set 90% of the on-ball screens. Since NBA games are about 100 possession, it typically happens about 8 to 15 times a game intentionally in an NBA game.

1 Like

First, the decision is to switch or not, if you decide not to switch, this won’t happen.

If you decide to switch because you guard did not fight through the screen, the next decision is to whether to stay on the guard or go where the opponent’s big goes and let the guard go. That is another way it won’t happen.

If you decide not to follow the other big, you end up on the guard. It is inevitable. I don’t care what system of fundamentals you are using. It will happen more than once. I am going to ignore the comment that it happened 15 times a game before this year. 15 is 25% of the possessions.

As the competition gets better, higher skilled PGs will put us in this situation. The offenses are designed to create this mismatch…The only good solution is that your guard better fight through that screen.

You or another reporter should ask Muss in a presser what his philosophy is regarding this. That is the best way to settle this.

The objective of course is for the big to switch back, but what happens is what happened last night.

The other four guys on their team spread out and leave their guard and our big on an island and then it is tough to switch back. As I said the offenses are designed to create this mismatch.

I am not taking up for Anderson’s policy. I am saying that is what happens in basketball to any team running any system as long as the offense is trying to create that mismatch.

Our team defense under Muss is so much more sound and less risked-based that one incident doesn’t concern me. The fact of the matter is that regardless of switching or not, four opponents now have had a tough time scoring, which is the point of the matter.

PJ is talking about me but not telling the whole story. What I said after watching the first game was that we didn’t switch very often and that we were in help and recover.

What I also said is that its bad defense when you switch big to small or vise versa. That turned into me saying nobody ever switches in the nba. What I was saying is I don’t care who does it but its bad or lazy defense when you do it.

If you have good guards that play sound defense they can get through screens and recover. With CMA we just switched to switch. Really no rhyme or reason for it. Today’s NBA game they switch at the top of the key because they get lazy sometimes and sometimes they just out athlete you.

Mark my words if Harris, Sills, Mason or Joe switch to a good 6’8 big with a good coach it will be a problem.

That was not directed to you. A poster actually said that the days of big guarding a guard are over.

My bad