Notes from Sam Pittman previewing spring ball

From Sam Pittman this afternoon:

• All of the scholarship O-linemen except one are 300+ pounds. Need to take a few pounds off some guys, add a few to some guys.

• Really happy with the freshman group that came in. Been pleased with their work ethic and attitude.

• There are so many position battles in the spring, he said, and that’s the fun part of it. I’m really excited. Someone told me we have 20 returning starters back. There’s a lot of battles in those 20.

• I think we’re going to widen out the defensive ends more, get them out of the inside eyes on the tackles. We’ve got to find some pass rushers. They’ve been working hard, and we have guys on the team who can get to the QB.

• Right now, KJ Jefferson is our starter. He’s going to make everyone in the room better. The team believes in him. I believe in him. He’s done a nice job. He’s becoming a more vocal leader. He’s as vocal as he needs to be. Feleipe Franks wasn’t super vocal, but his work ethic was. Same way with KJ.

• The following guys are limited to open spring ball: WR Koilan Jackson, TE Collin Sutherland, WR De’Vion Warren and LB Levi Draper. Jackson is listed as a TE because he asked to be moved, but the staff hasn’t seen enough of him there for that to be permanent.

• We’re trying to find the guy at running back. We have a lot of kids who are really similar. We need to find a big back. We have moved Rocket Sanders to running back, and Dominique Johnson is there, too. I like the way that group works.

• If you’re a defensive back and you’re not a hard worker, you’re going to stand out, he said.

• We’re looking at LB Zach Zimos as a safety, Shane Clenin more at center, and Mike Woods in the slot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.