Notes from Arkansas' win over Fordham

The weekend was a little crazy because of the football game and a birthday party for one of our boys, so I got around to re-watching the basketball game a little later than usual. Here are a few nerd notes from the win over Fordham:

Rams shooting numbers vs. each Arkansas defender
Trevon Brazile - 2/10 FG, 0/5 3FG
Anthony Black - 3/7 FG, 0/2 3FG
Davonte Davis - 3/7 FG, 2/3 3FG
Jalen Graham - 3/5 FG, 1/2 3FG
Makhi Mitchell - 0/4 FG
Ricky Council - 0/3 FG, 0/3 3FG
Makhel Mitchell - 0/2 FG, 0/1 3FG
Barry Dunning - 2/2 FG
Jordan Walsh - 1/1 FG
Uncontested - 3/5 FG, 1/2 3FG

Potential assists for each Arkansas player
Makhi Mitchell - 9 - 1/1 2FG, 1/6 3FG, 4/4 FT
Ricky Council - 8 - 7/7 2FG, 0/1 3FG
Davonte Davis - 6 - 4/4 2FG, 1/1 3FG, 2/2 FT
Anthony Black - 4 - 0/3 2FG, 0/1 3FG
Jordan Walsh - 4 - 1/2 2FG, 0/2 3FG
Trevon Brazile - 1 - 1/1 2FG
Jalen Graham - 1 - 1/1 2FG

1 Like

I guess you could look at Walsh’s line and criticize for 100%,
But the other side is that he only ALLOWED one shot

Correct. Opponents got up just two shots against him in the opener, too. He’s been solid.

:rofl: :rofl:

Mahki and Ricky :clap:

Sure seems like Muss and staff figured out how to get the potential out of Mahki that he displayed coming out of high school. Some of that, of course, could be that he’s now 100% physically after his early season ending injury in his 1st year at RI. Either way, it’s great for this team. When he and Brazile are on the floor together they create a match up nightmare for most of our opponents.

An off-topic question about Brazile. I haven’t been able to wrap my head around Muss wanting to bring Trevon off the bench? I completely understood why he brought Notae off the bench 2 years ago while giving him starter minutes. That was for instant offense off the bench, plus he seemed to play better off the bench. Do you understand what Muss is seeing that makes him want to bring Brazile off the bench? He’s certainly giving him starter minutes, and then some. And, do you think that will change when Nick returns?

1 Like

Eric mentioned yesterday, and even several times last season, that he likes to be able to look at his bench early in a game or a half and see a starter-type guy there. If things aren’t going well out of the gates, he has a potential game-changer type he can sub in. Here is the direct quote from Monday:

“Historically, I’ve loved to be able to look down at our bench and know that I have a starter sitting there who is eventually going to play 30-plus minutes. If things don’t go well to start a game, I love the fact you can look down at your bench and put a guy in that can change the complexion of the game.”

2 Likes

Anthony Black - 3/7 FG, 0/2 3FG

Sure thought he shot more than three 3 pointers and hit one.

As it reads right above those numbers, those are shooting figures for Fordham players when defended by each Arkansas player.

Yep…totally misread that!

1 Like