No win for Dykes and Long

Aloha,

Unfortunately AD Jeff Long and Coach Jimmy Dykes totally miss played the situation with the Women’s BB players kneeling during the national anthem.

As previously stated, they should have ensured the women were fully briefed on reality and if the women still wanted to take a knee despite being fully educated on the truth of the whole matter, the UA should have started a policy of keeping the women inside the locker room during the national anthem.

Now, AD Long and Coach Dykes have placed themselves in a no win situation. They don’t want to stop the women from kneeling to prevent any harm to recruitment of minorities at the expense of upsetting patriotic Americans and those Americans who know the facts of the issue which will possibly result in a loss of donations and smaller attendance.

What a mess that could have been easily prevented.

GHG!

They were “fully briefed” and chose to handle it the way they did.

I will always stand, take off my hat and put my hand over my heart.

But I will also never tell somebody else that their feelings don’t matter or that they shouldn’t do this or do that.

I am obviously white and was raised on a farm with everything I have ever needed. Never had any safety concerns.

It’s been the same way throughout my whole life.

So - as I said - I would not even begin to think I understand what it is like to live as an African-American in our country and I will certainly not preach about something I don’t know about.

I also would never tell a member of the military how he or she should feel about things since they put themselves in harms way for us - something I never did.

That is beautifully articulated and hopefully is or becomes the majority opinion.

Yea minorities are definitely not patriotic at all. Best to keep them all locked up in the locker room during the anthem while all the patriotic donors that are in the crowd show their respect by standing up. The minorities are here to play basketball and entertain all the hard working patriots. There are not here to get an education, form their own opinions, and exercise their first amendment rights, college isn’t the place to do any of that!

/sarcasm off

Dude that post was super racist. Seriously did you not read it before you typed it? I don’t know about anybody else but I don’t go to the games or support the team based on the political/social opinions of college kids. I go to enjoy the game and watch them PLAY BASKETBALL, not to see if they stand or take a knee during the anthem. That’s not going to make or break me enjoying myself and having a good time at the game, and I feel sorry for anybody that it does. Seems like these days people just look for stuff to be upset about.

Yes it was, well said Dudley. I personally stand during the anthem. But, I understand the reason the girls are taking a knee. And they are within their rights and not doing anything to try to hurt anybody. All these people making a big deal about it, and saying they are disrespecting the military, clearly do not know why they are doing what they are doing. I really don’t even like commenting on stuff like this, cause I joined this board to talk about basketball not social issues, but the OP just sounded so ridiculous I had to say something.

Could you please explain to me how his post was racist? That is a very serious charge.

I highlighted the main part in bold, but the whole statement was offensive. In his second paragraph, he assumed that the girls were uneducated on why they were taking a knee, and said after they were educated on it if they still wanted to do it then they should be held in the locker room during the anthem. Holding black girls in a locker room because they want to use their first amendment right and implying they were uneducated on what they were doing tends to lean a bit on the racist side to me.

Then the part I highlighted in his third paragraph he’s assuming that Dykes and Long’s statements are not genuine and they just said it so they don’t offend minorites. I don’t know if some people know this or not but not just minorities that believe that social injustices exist and respect athletes using their first amendment rights. Then the comment about offending patriotic donors, like minorities aren’t patriots and donors as well.

I think you’re assuming a great deal about the OP’s intent that you cannot support.

Further, the coach/AD would not be worth their pay if they did not consider how all this would play with 18 year old African American kids.

You are correct I assumed he meant what he actually wrote.

[quote=“Blu”]

[quote=“LittleHock”]

[quote=“Blu”]

I highlighted the main part in bold, but the whole statement was offensive.[\b] In his second paragraph, he assumed that the girls were uneducated on why they were taking a knee, and said after they were educated on it if they still wanted to do it then they should be held in the locker room during the anthem. Holding black girls in a locker room because they want to use their first amendment right and implying they were uneducated on what they were doing tends to lean a bit on the racist side to me.

Then the part I highlighted in his third paragraph he’s assuming that Dykes and Long’s statements are not genuine and they just said it so they don’t offend minorites. I don’t know if some people know this or not but not just minorities that believe that social injustices exist and respect athletes using their first amendment rights. Then the comment about offending patriotic donors, like minorities aren’t patriots and donors as well.
[/quote]

I think you’re assuming a great deal about the OP’s intent that you cannot support.

Further, the coach/AD would not be worth their pay if they did not consider how all this would play with 18 year old African American kids.
[/quote]

You are correct I assumed he meant what he actually wrote.
[/quote]

Perhaps, but it seems more likely you assumed his intent.

Also, why is it bad for him to offend you but ok for the girls to offend others?

Because when he offended me by using his freedom of speech I didn’t ask for him to be held in a locker room for exercising his first amendment right. I guess the equivalent would be me asking for him to be banned from posting, which I did not, I just disagreed with him, stated my opinion on why it was offensive and went about my business, see how that works?

You’re making it too complicated. Why do you defend the girls using free speech to offend people but do not want others to use free speech to offend you?

If offending someone is the crime delux, then it cannot possibly be ok for the girls to kneel during the anthem. That offends people.

Are certain offensive actions ok?

What are you talking about dude? This is my last reply to you, because this conversation we’re having isn’t going anywhere fast.

Here are the facts… You haven’t seen in ANY OF MY POSTS me say the OP doesn’t have the right to give his opinion and should be punished for doing it, I just said his comments about minorities and the girls being uneducated in what they were doing came off as racist and offensive. The OP said in his post that the girls needed to be “educated” on the subject and then if they still chose to take a knee not allowed to come out during the anthem, which would be considered a punishment and restricting their first amendment rights.

Now if you can’t see the clear difference in one person saying comments are offensive and and leaving it at that and one person saying the something is offensive to them and then saying there should be a punishment to those that offended him, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Have a good day.

I understand and appreciate your point. The point I was attempting to underscore is that you did not appreciate the OP’s comments, which were offensive to you.

You called the comments racist. When you tell someone in today’s day and age that their comments are racist, that is effectively “keeping them in the locker room.” As the accused has no verifiable way to prove they did not intend to be racist, they have to shut down and frequently have to apologize even if there was no ill intent.

He made comments that offended you. The girls offended others. You defend the girls right to offend but attempt to silence others’ right to offend - even unintentionally - by throwing out the racist moniker.

Seems like a double standard to me.

Thank you for discussing this. Reasonable minds can disagree. These conversations are important and I appreciate your time, blu.

Most of the time people in these conversations have good in their heart but different ways of seeing the world and interpreting actions/language.

Take care and thanks again. We will all better get together in time.

Aloha,

Well, the term racist has been thrown around a lot recently…most especially during the recent presidential campaign.

But this is the first time I have ever been called a racist. I find it rather funny. I have lived with, worked with and led hundreds of minorities with great pride and success. I am even married to a minority.

As for the facts of the whole kneeling matter. The vast amount of African-Americans are killed by fellow African-Americans. The vast amount of African-Americans killed by white policemen were either resisting arrest, threatened the officer or did something to provoke the officer. Most had a criminal record. Very few African-Americans are being shot and killed by unprovoked white officers. I don’t believe we have an epidemic of rogue racist white police officers out hunting and killing innocent African-Americans. I do believe we have a lot of miss informed people due to bad reporting by the main stream media.

I, like 99.99% of Americans are totally against and saddened by ANY innocent death. Constructive measures to prevent any innocent deaths is to be admired. Kneeling during our national anthem is not constructive.

Back to my initial post. I believe the smart play was for the ENTIRE basketball team to be in the locker room for the national anthem. There are many ways to voice our freedom of speech. But being disrespectful to our flag and national anthem and EVERYTHING it stands for is not the smart play. It creates a lot of negative energy and backlash which defeats their purpose.

GHG!

I can see the OP point about JL and JD being in a no win situation. Sometimes, that’s just how it is. Some fans are going to be pissed off if you let them and you can’t risk the recruiting impact by not allowing the protest.

Just so we are clear on this: I am a white male, born in the Mississippi Delta, the better part of my childhood into college in Harrison, Arkansas. I’m sure some assumptions can be made about all of that. BUT, my grandfather taught my Dad and I to never judge someone by their skin but by their actions.

I don’t know what it’s like to be profiled by police. The only prejudice I’ve ever faced is reverse prejudicism. I know it’s real. I know I felt bad. I know I felt angry. And I know it’s much less than what other races face on a day to day basis.

I’ve not been in uniform. I know many who have. I deeply appreciate their service. I know many in uniform are minorities. I know they serve to protect our nation, to protect our way of life, to protect our liberties. Although I have not served, I would fight any invading force to the death and if our country ever needed to invoke the draft again I would serve with pride.

During the CNR times, I was in my teens then early twenties. Young. Naive. And it would bother me that he would use his platform as a coach of the UA to voice his personal opinions. Fast forward twenty years of life and experience, I admire him for doing it even though he might have been able to use that platform for a longer period of time by being a little more strategic in his words and actions. I love me some CNR and life has made me appreciate his courage.

Personally, I think Colin Kaepernick could have chose a different way to voice his opinions. But he didn’t. Now, this has become the way others are voicing their protest. So, with that example out there, it doesn’t surprise me that others are choosing to voice their protest the same way.

I respect CMA for his comments. I think CMA is a classy guy.

I know that college is a time to explore and find out who you are and what you believe in. I think it’s natural to test that and to struggle with finding your voice. In no way do I make a final judgement on these ladies. I appreciate that they were together as a team, even though some stood and some kneeled.

I guess I can see that the Arkansas Razorbacks jersey can represent people have the right to choose to stand and people have right to kneel. I think our administration and coaches can allow the jersey to mirror our national flag that stands for freedom. I can be just as proud of the Razorback jersey today as I am of our flag and what both represent. I would deeply troubled if the UA had tried to silence these ladies.

The chips will fall where they fall. Every action has a consequence - intended or unintended. If people choose to not buy tickets or support the Lady Razorbacks, that is their choice. This was a long post but I think people should really reflect on what they would do if one of these student-athletes were their daughter before they make some of the comments being made.

I said the post was racist not you, that’s a big difference. You can say something racist without realizing it and not be a racist.

And again, your suggestion of the entire basketball team being held in the locker room because some of the girls wanted to protest that would be considered a punishment, you can’t punish people for using their first amendment right lol, this isn’t North Korea. I guarantee you if Jimmy Dykes took your suggestion and said “I talked to and educated the girls on why kneeling during the anthem is bad, some of them choose to still do that, so I’m holding all of them in the locker room until after the anthem.” You’d have every single black organization and media all up here and the headlines would be talking about how racist the university of Arkansas is. You do not want that type of negative attention.

So, I’m assuming that the young ladies are not “patriotic.”