No basics - I don’t get it

I just do t get it—

Don’t block out
Leaving 3 shooters open
Letting guards drive to the hoop
Shooting too soon
Not in the paint much

Broken record…

You left out “missing most of the shots that they normally hit during the season.”
Well, let’s move on, realizing that this season is over for us, and hope for better results from the “pups” that are coming in. Hopefully the coach will look carefully at the rebound differential and institute some changes in the future that will please us all.
Regarding Gafford leaving (in another post), I think that this game highlighted that (as great as his potential appears to be) he desparately needs another year of strengthening and experience before he is ready for the next level.
Best of luck to the remaing SEC teams in the field (hopefully they will make the conference proud), and now let’s get this new football system instituted and also win a bunch of baseball. WPS!!!

I 100% agree he needs to come back, but he looked like he was already gone today. Several guys flirting with the draft seemed to no show the last two days. Were they thinking about their status and not getting injured?

Let’s face it…We were out coached and out played and the better team won today. When you’re in the dance you got bring your A game and we didn’t even show up. Our seniors gave a good year. Congrats to them. Next year will be extremely tough without Gafford.

This basketball season is history. Wondering about if Gafford comes back or not shouldn’t worry any of us. The young man needs to return for at least one more year and I expect him too! For the play of Macon and Bardford they played the same way today as they’ve played all year.
( sporadic ). It wasn’t just them. The poor effort of defense and the lack of desire to rebound stinks.
It’s about the incoming recruiting class!

By the way it’s baseball season!

you’re right. out-coached evidenced by how poorly we were prepared at the tip off & how no adjustments were made when they made their run at the end of the 1st half & after the half. The rest are just weak excuses for a woefully over-matched coaching staff. The kids deserve better.

Army I agree with you, one of the bright spots I see is Hall, he gave a 100% yesterday made a ton of mistakes on both sides of the ball and never quit ! I noticed in the second half on D he stopped the rotation and made them rotate in the other direction when we were in the zone. He’s aggressive on both ends and is as raw as fresh sliced bacon but he comes to play. If you watch the very end of the game as they are dribbling out the clock and everyone is walking off he doesn’t he stays put like he thought they would try to score and he wasn’t having any of that ! CMA get him a half dozen more like him and he will be able to play his kind of ball. Now I’m not saying he was the best player on the court but by the time he’s a junior or senior he very well could be. His play reminds me some of Derek Hood except with a prettier shot. That’s my two cents worth. WPS

The system and Mike are sacred cows to apologists, and it is startling to see apologists blame the players for the symptoms of a system that should be in very limited use. There is no reason why Mike can’t adapt and use trapping man as well as other defenses depending on the opponent. I laugh at the apologists’ tactic that instantly frame the discussion that critics want Mike fired. They make it an all or nothing scenario to diffuse the posts.

3 SR guards and a lottery pick center yet Mike couldn’t put the guys in a position to succeed. I think we have reached the ceiling of Mike Anderson if he will not adapt. He continues to use the trapping man with switches and pressing or the motion offense that really doesn’t appear to have many set plays if forced to play half court. The good teams with good guards make us look terrible just by swinging the ball from one side of the defense to the other. Our trapping man and switches are so predictable that every team runs their big outside of the 3 pt line to get him switched on to one of our guards.

Florida, AU, WVU, UK, etc are fast paced without giving up all the open 3s, leaving the lane open or not rebounding because your bigs are on the perimeter in a switch while Macon or Jones are getting abused covering a 4 or 5 in the paint. Mizzou’s Cuonzo used our trapping man against us when we left their bigs free or in mismatches in the paint. If their bigs couldn’t make it they could pass out to wide open 3 as a result of our trapping man defense.

We have nobody to replace Gafford and the 6 new freshman will have growing pains. The guards will suffer unless CJ has a miracle improvement. Are we going to be better than this team next year or the next? Is this good enough for our fanbase?

Do you guys ever spew anything new other than the same talking points that mean absolutely nothing?

We’ve reached the ceiling with Mike! Haha so laughable! Wasn’t it MA that went to the SS & EE with 2 different programs?! I’ll wait…

After 7 years at Arkansas, nobody cares what Mike did at UAB and Missouri. Only thing that matters is what he has done at Arkansas. If you look at the big picture it sure seems like the peak was reached in year 4.

I would like to see Mike put his stubborn ways aside and adapt, so that we can improve with Mike. We would be better off with a Mike A that makes some changes instead of the disruption of a coaching change. Frustration is building in the fan base. We just fired an AD and a football coach after 5 years for not meeting expectations, so the basketball coach of 7 years is under the microscope.

The fanbase frustration is eerily similar to CBB’s Belk bowl game against V Tech. The fan base support for Mike took another hit yesterday that is creating apathy for some towards basketball. It is stunning for me to see apathetic people in my age group that grew up watching our prestige develop during the late 70s, 80’s and 90’s.

I agree. The best option would be for him to make some changes to his system and do a better job with roster management that would allow this program to bust through the ceiling we seemed to have reached.

We went on a 16-0 run after timeout in first half and subbing out the starters. Mike deserves seniors to give more effort at he beginning of the game than he got yesterday. Maybe he’s too soft on them. They stunk on effort.

I am sorry your definition of fan base is a narrow group of some. I don’t see the frustration at all in the real world. Disappointment with the result yesterday, yes. But frustration with the coaching staff, no for the general fan base, but yes for the select few. That would have been the case if we had won yesterday and lost tomorrow.

There is not even a remote case comparison to CBB case. Come on Man!

I guess it depends on who one hangs with. Very few I know are thrilled w hog basketball. Most point out the same things we argue and debate year after year. All think mike is a great guy but few think he can take us to elite level. No one hates him, they just have no confidence in hawg basketball. Very happy when we win, but not surprised when we lose. This year it was the losses. Most double digit and we looked or played ugly.

I think the average fan is a little apathetic. Everyone on here is an avid almost rabid fan. And being so avid/rabid it hurts more than it should. Season is over. We made the tourney. Had a week of high expectations. Wish we had more.

The fan base does not mirror this board now nor did it when CBB was in trouble. The fanbase frustration is eerily similar to CBB’s Belk bowl game against V Tech. The fan base support for Mike took another hit with the blow out loss that is creating apathy for some towards basketball. It is stunning for me to see apathetic people in my age group that grew up watching our prestige develop during the late 70s, 80’s and 90’s.

Frustration is building in the fan base. We just fired an AD and a football coach after 5 years for not meeting expectations, so the basketball coach of 7 years is under the microscope. It is much easier to turn around a 13 man roster versus and 85 man roster. We have coaches like Barnes in our own conference that have succeeded in their 3rd year.

Mike has had plenty of time. Plenty. UAB and Mizzou? Get serious.

Mike is reliant on players like Anton Beard to play a major role. Anton Beard makes some of the poorest basketball decisions you’ll ever see a point guard make.

And, Mike has players like Gabe O. on his roster. Inexcusable. No good major college team would have a player like Gabe on its roster, let alone give him minutes like Mike has.

The defense is abysmal. I have no idea what the defensive culture of this team is. “Guard someone when they get off the damn bus.” Ok, Mike. Got it buddy.

Bottom line is Mike has not recruited well and I don’t think it will change. Lose Archie Griffin and Marcus Monk. Not nearly enough firepower top to bottom of the roster. Not enough basketball players all over the roster. The so-called “role players” just kill us. Compared to the big boys like Kentucky and about 10 to 15 other teams, we aren’t anything. Not even close.

More of the same. Frankly, not much better than Heath or Pelphrey all things considered. APR I guess is better. Mike does deserve credit for that.

Mike has had plenty of time and the results are not what the fan base deserves if you grew up watching the 70, 80, and 90’s run… I would give him more time if he would adjust his schemes.

if he wants to see how real pressure works he needs to watch W Virginia!!

I need to watch WVU to see how they handle good PGs. Mike’s teams look good against teams with poor ball handlers. We win all of those games but… we lose when we get up against teams with good PG’s that know to swing the ball from one side to another to collapse our backside traps that leave a shooter wide open for 3’s. Teams that scout well know to use our switches against us too so they can get our bigs away from the basket and one of our guards covering their big under the basket.