NIL question

Can a non-scholarship team member receive NIL money? Let’s say the player is a walk-on, preferred or otherwise. Can he or she receive NIL money? If the answer is “yes,” universities have a way to expand their available “scholarships.”

Yes, they can. BYU had an NIL deal for all of its walk-on football players.

One of the positives Dave Van Horn said he sees in NIL is the ability for his players to make some money that offsets what their parents have to spend. Some baseball players are walk ons and most are paying some form of tuition.

1 Like

Walkons own their name. No difference.

Could a basketball signee, for instance, sign a very good NIL deal (that would cover everything that a scholarship does, plus), and relinquish their scholarship to be used by another incoming player (transfer?).

I think this has been brought up Paris but didn’t get answered.
Basically a NIL schollie.

A problem with this scenario is, why would the player want to accept an NIL deal that requires them to use part of it for their college expenses, even if they make extra to keep? None of the other players on the team are having to pay for their college. Even if their deal let them keep 100k, the natural thought is that they could have 100k plus the expenses if they didn’t have to pay it.

It’s a good question. We’ve all thought about it. I don’t know that anyone truly knows the answer, though, and if schools start doing it, I suspect efforts will be made to stop it.

I would never do that. Just think what that mony would do if invested? Not a smart business decision for the athlete ever. A scholarship is what $40,000 a year, times four? Invest that money. Every time. It is beyond comprehension to do anything else.

I’ve brought this up as well. Think it’s a no-brainer to do it. Have 13 on basketball scholarship and get donors to contribute enough NIL money to cover the cost of attendance.

Clay says nobody would do it, but I guarantee they would of the only other option was having to transfer somewhere else. They’re not getting that NIL money if they’re not here anyway.

Take this scenario. Jaylin decides to come back and we keep all current players, transfers and signees. That gives us 14. Someone goes to Jaxon Robinson and tells him he has 2 choices…walk-on here with a $40k NIL deal or transfer somewhere else. No guarantee he’ll get any NIL money anywhere else, and he can still get additional here.

Just think what $160,000 properly invested at 22 would mean at 65! That is one heck of a first step.

While Clay and others on here know more than I do, I think something like that can and will happen. It isn’t “giving up” anything if they give you extra to do it. Say kid A was going to get a $100,000 NIL deal. BUT, the guys behind it all want to free up an extra scholarship. They go to the kid and say "we will increase your deal to $130,000 (or whatever the amount needed) if you go off scholarship.

Think of the Bama QB who is getting a $1,000,000. If the boosters can afford that, they could easily give him $1,030,000, and BAM you have an extra slot.

It’s not too far fetched for sure. It could be that exact thing that finally gets some strict rules & regulations put forth. Which will entail an oversight committee just for that. Whether it be from the NCAA (lame) or another legal branch similar to the infractions committee, except this branch would need to have direct involvement 24/7, not NCAA recommendation case by case.

No matter how much they give you, I don’t think anyone wants to turn around and give $160,000 back. It makes no sense. And no matter how much they give you, a huge chunk also goes to taxes. I doubt it would ever work.

Actually, $40k per year would likely result in close to $0 in federal income tax owed if that went to college expenses. The personal exemption and standard deduction would get taxable amount to around $26,000, which would be taxed at 10% for first $9,950 and 12% on the rest. That would be less than $3,000. Then tax credits ($2,500 for college expenses) would likely get it to near $0 tax owed for federal income.

State taxable income gets a deduction (I think 50%) and standard deduction which would result in only slight amount of tax owed to state given lower rates.

FICA and Medicare are the 2 you couldn’t deduct yourself out of. But, that would probably only mean the amount given to players would need to be around $45k to make up the difference.

I think this is very doable.

Mostly because they could get a NIL deal to stay as a walkon where they might not get one on scholy anywhere else

I think you mean has and will continue to

Can walk-ons get NIL money? Clearly the answer is yes.

Does that mean you can use NIL to circumvent the scholarship limits in whatever sport? I very seriously doubt it. The brave new world of NIL does not mean you can get around the scholarship limits by paying players to sign autographs. That part of the NCAA rulebook has not changed.

You can’t have 120 football players or 17 basketball players on full rides, no matter who foots the bill. You can’t have people on full academic scholarships playing football or basketball, even if they had 1600 SATs. Kikko Haydar got to keep his academic money (which was better than a hoops scholie anyway) because he was completely unrecruited as an athlete. A PWO is not going to be able to do that.

1 Like

If a QB can get a million dollar NIL deal, what if he says he doesn’t want a scholarship? Can he not play?

I think the biggest assumption here is that there is this major surplus of NIL money available and that the University can suddenly just direct that to wherever they see fit. Or that they can now use it to avoid scholarship limits (or to avoid any public backlash over telling a player it’s time to move on).

I’m sure the U of A can suggest to a booster that their money go to certain individuals over others, but it is it really in their best interest to get involved and try to divert this money from players such as JWill, who might warrant a substantial sum to overcome 2nd round draft money, to players who may not see much, if any action?

Walk ons can certainly earn NIL money and some will make some decent amounts I’m sure. But to think they can earn enough to overcome a scholarship and be willing to go off scholarship because they can suddenly do better or equally well with NIL money seems way far-fetched to me.

And the businesses that do these agreements with athlete’s for name, image, likeness are doing it for their own benefit also. As a business person, do you decide that the best bang for your promotional and advertising dollar is hiring JWill or one of the freshman AA’s to represent your company, or do you instead invest the corporation’s money in the guy that’s on the end of the bench and rarely plays or gets much TV exposure?

OR do you invest in the Group? Meaning not just one person, but the UofA (athletics) ??

BTW very good thought but for me your post resulted in me thinking this.

Yes, that’s true. You could certainly invest in the “group” and then divide that amount by 15 instead of 13 for basketball, etc.

I know there have been deals like this for the offensive lineman, for example.

I would still question if that amount divided by 14 or 15 is enough to cover that 14th man on a basketball roster’s full ride.

And I think that is the whole reason for these posts about NIL and walk on players. Can we now take that player who was your #13 scholarship player and replace his scholarship but still provide him with a full ride so that we can bring in a better one?

It sounds good, but I just feel that’s hard to justify.

And honestly, I’d rather see you spend your NIL dollars on getting JWill the deal he needs to return and win a Natty or giving it to baseball who doesn’t have enough scholarships to begin with rather than trying to save face over asking a player who isn’t going to contribute to find another place where he can. JMVHO