NIL deals becoming more absurd

One possible method to remove NILs use as a recruiting tool is to pool all money received and distribute equal shares to 5 star quarterbacks and 4’8" gymnast alike.

1 Like

How does that help? If School A has an NIL pool of $10 million and School B has $500,000, School A is still going to have the advantage.

1 Like

Place all funds from every school under one roof, say the NCAA.

The same NCAA that can’t get out of its own way and has essentially turned NIL over to Congress and state legislatures?

Which is part of the problem. State laws differ, and then the states that don’t have NIL laws yet are operating under a different framework. I can’t say I know exactly how Arkansas’ law is different than other states, but it is. Right now you really have 51 sets of rules (counting DC, which includes Georgetown), and the NCAA has punted it to Congress to establish a national framework. And right now Congress shows little interest in doing anything about NIL, or really anything at all.

1 Like

I’m not really sure there’s ever going to be an equal distribution no matter what you do, that’s why I never have been in favor of paying the players… This is uncharted territory and it’s a bit of a hot mess right now for sure but you better do your best to compete in it if you ever expect to challenge for a championship.

2 Likes

I predict some real ugliness along the way. Big money contract given to big recruits who don’t cut the mustard. Then the money is pulled and litigation ensues. It will be interesting no doubt.

1 Like

No disagreement here. The proposal still has possibilities if a single holding entity could act a clearing house for all monies. I acknowledge getting there is a challenge.

If I were giving NIL deals, I would write the language very strongly in my favor. Then the athlete can take it or leave it.

Quinn Ewers, for instance. His big deal was for signing autographs, which he could do in Columbus or Austin or Fayetteville or Bozeman, Montana. But he had other local deals in Columbus that went away when he transferred from TattooU. And presumably you could also put in language that basically says “if you don’t play well enough to justify this investment, you won’t stay on our payroll.” Thus, with a clause like that, Ewers could lose the autograph deal if he doesn’t become a star at Texass. The autograph of a third-string QB isn’t worth much.

Then there’s the deal between DJ Uiagalelei and Dr Pepper as part of their Fansville campaign. Did he play well enough for Clemson this year to remain in a national marketing program? DP didn’t release terms of the deal, but it will be interesting to see if he’s part of Fansville next season.

1 Like

Exactly Jeff. The rub will come when a player does not read the fine print and goes off. I wonder if the folks from schools that monitor the NIL can read and help with this.

1 Like

And this is what destroys locker rooms and coaching. Also in the nfl. I’m not being targeted, I’m not getting to start, coach won’t play me so my NIL money is in jeopardy. Therefore I’ll be unhappy and complain and piss off my teammates.

Egos are going to destroy a locker room at any level, whether money is involved or not. Antonio Brown was making a boatload of money but he wasn’t getting the ball and sulked himself off the team.

Absolutely right, and this only increases the chances.

As much as some of us would love to see a return to amateurism in college athletic, I’m afraid it died out decades ago. We must adapt or die. Is it distasteful? You bet. But I’m growing weary of teams like LSU, Texas, A&M, Miss State getting caught and then flipping the NCAA the bird and daring them to do something about it. The NCAA is a toothless entity. No reason to fear them anymore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.