New scoreboard, video boards coming to WMS

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017 … -1m-20170/

I saw that. Hate to say it, but I’m afraid it’s a waste of money.

Just like spending almost that much to remodel a couple of Legislative Conference rooms.

So if the city of Little Rock is allowed upgrades to it’s primary football facility for High School & the other instate collegiate teams it’s a waste if money…so says NORTHEAST-ARKIE

How so? It has been awhile since I’ve been to WMS.

I do believe that is the point.

Sorry. Not following. I’m not trying to be obtuse. I live out of state and haven’t been to WMS since I parked there for school.

Seems like the upgrade was needed. This is from the article linked above:

“Our current video board is in almost disrepair.
The scoreboard is an analog scoreboard and we would like to replace that with a digital board and, thus, increase the viability to do some more video boards. We also have a video board on the north end of the stadium,” Cohen said. “When somebody comes to a ballgame at War Memorial Stadium, they watch the video as much, if not more, than they watch the ballgame on the field. Our sporting events are growing as well and we’re really pushing our nontraditional events and we would like to have viable video support in order for those events to come to War Memorial Stadium.”
He said this project could help lure outdoor concerts to the stadium.

Seems appropriate to me (if you believe in government involvement in such projects).

WMS is not likely to host anything more that HS football games and maybe an occasional DII game within 5 years. The current scoreboards might be out of date by NFL & SEC standards, but they work fine. That might stop at some point, but even if they do, it seems this is a whole lot of money for an upgrade that’s not going to provide much use. You are free to disagree.

You may be correct, but why do you say that?

Also, it seems this may attract some concerts which could be beneficial.

Apparently you haven’t noticed all the discussions for the past 15-20 years on the Great Stadium Debate & haven’t seen what everyone else has about what is likely to happen.

As for concerts at WMS, well, there hasn’t been one there in about 15 years or more. I don’t recall a one since Verizon Arena was built. I’m skeptical a new video board will suddenly change that. Perhaps I’m wrong & that’s the only thing keeping the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, & Lady Gaga away.

I was under the assumption that UAPB played a game in Little Rock every year. Could be wrong.
http://www.uapblionsroar.com/schedule.a … h=football
Looks like next year they get two games in WMS.

Ok. WMS won’t be limited to a few HS & D2 games. It’ll be a few HS & D1AA (or whatever UAPB & UCA’s division is) games. You’ve convinced me. We need to buy million dollar scoreboards so the 2-5k fans at those games can be adequately entertained. There’ll also be a few HS band days & car sales events. It’s not a waste of money. No way it’s a waste. The state has plenty. Glad you’re on top of this.

Actually I don’t think the government should be involved in projects like this at all, but that’s just me and I don’t think this is the place to discuss politics.

I was just wondering where you got your information from, since I hadn’t read what you said.

Now Noreastie. Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods played their hit single Billy Don’t Be A Hero in WMS 43 years ago this summer. You can’t expect to catch lightening in a bottle twice if your facility is not up to speed. I’m not really sure what non traditional events are, but apparently they require digital, not analog. And then of course, there is the possibility that the UA-Little Rock will start a really bad football program.