New commit

Clayton Gray, OF, Cabot committed last night. Here is a little more on him: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017 … -arkansas/

What is the point of offering kids so early (all sports not just baseball)? No one knows the true potential of this kid. The way they play sports year a round now days, he might decide he doesn’t even like baseball anymore.

I’m not mentioning names, but there is one player that committed to UA before his Jr year that just graduated. He had a very mediocre senior season. He was an early developer that hasn’t improved. I don think he’ll ever see the field at UA.

Congratulations to Clayton and his family.

He is the first of what will hopefully be several from a very deep in state 2020 class.

Because that’s how baseball recruiting is done. Most players commit before the end of their junior year, so you have to get on them when they are about 14 or 15.

Baseball is completely different than football and basketball. In those sports all scholarships are equal. A kid only has to choose which school he wants to go to. Baseball has to offer scholarship dollars so not all offers are equal.

AR is better when they have good kids from AR. Those kids get the lottery scholarship, which saves the team money they can use elsewhere, and some of those kids will go to AR for less than what they will be offered from an out of state school just to be a Razorback.

This is a big reason why the timetable is pushed up for baseball. Lots of schools are out there trying to put the 11.7 puzzle together. Schools try to lock some kids up early to know what dollars they have available for the kids and transfers that blow up later.

I think if you ask the coaches they don’t like offering kids that early but they know if they don’t someone else will.

The process is as out of hand as trying to make kids choose which sport they want to play, and having them play that sport year around…but, that’s where we’re heading.

What if a kid is offered and commits, then comes to school and stinks during fall ball? Does he still get his partial scholarship or is he out because he could not make the team? How do they work that?

We know from past experience that there are entirely too many kids trying to make the team in the fall. There have been nearly 50 players for 35 slots and only 27 can be on any portion of a scholarship. That means that 12 to 15 players might be cut each fall.

27 kids have some amount of money. Those 27 make the 35 man roster.

You can look at Alabama to see how not to handle the kids that can’t cut it. Most of the time they are shown were they are and there is a mutual agreement to move on.

It’s a tough but unavoidable situation.

Very true, and I believe that I indicated that. My question is, what happens to a kid that gets an offer and doesn’t cut it in the fall? What kind of commitment has the team made to those kids?

I heard DVH years ago at a Web Hogs dinner (back when there were Web Hogs.) He said that he could take the recruit and his parents on a tour of the facilities and then take them to his office. He said that he hated that part, because he became a car salesman and had to negotiate a partial scholarship.

If he’s on scholarship he’ll make the 35-man roster in the spring if he decides he wants to stay. That doesn’t mean he’ll play.

Thanks Matt, that was my question.

I hate the limited baseball scholarships. They’re awful. If they’re going have partial scholarships, they should at least go from 11.7 to something more realistic–at least 15 but preferably 20 or above. I know baseball players at least have access to other scholarships (like the lottery money), but still 11.7 is incredibly low. I know the SEC favors more, but like so many NCAA rules, the smaller schools get the votes to save themselves money.

The problem is you sign a top 5 class and lose 2/3 to the MLB draft…