New commentator for radio

It seems that they have replaced Rick Schaeffer.

Link: Bubba Carpenter To Join Baseball Airwaves

I liked Rick. Wonder why they did that

This was a decision made by IMG, which wants all of the analyst positions filled by former players or coaches.

That is a shame since baseball seems to be the only sport that Rick cares about. He barely tolerates recruiting, football, and basketball and doesn’t bother to hide his disdain for all three.

One of the few times I have enjoyed Drivetime Sports was when a baseball fan finally called to talk about the exciting major league game on TV the Sunday before. Rick got all excited to finally have a baseball fan to talk to until the guy admitted he had fallen asleep long before the game was over and missed the last three innings. He was calling in to find out what he had missed. That was a huge testimony to how boring major league baseball has become. Poor Rick was in a bad mood for the rest of the broadcast.

I called Drivetime Sports one time to ask him if he actually talked to any football players or coaches or ever attended a practice. He admitted he did not. I asked if he did that for baseball and he admitted he did all of the time. He is a nice guy but is long past being a good source for information about anything for the Razorbacks except baseball.

JMVVVVVHO

I’m glad to know that wasn’t UA’s decision. Rick is as loyal as there is.

Something to remember is that Rick does the radio work to stay involved with sports, but he has a full-time job is as as the communications director for Springdale Public Schools.

I’ll miss Rick. Great guy that was a wonderful color commentator for baseball.lots of good comments and trivia.

Rick with a disdain for basketball? He was so much associated with the basketball program in the 70s that when he was promoted to SID in 1979, Lou Holtz wanted to make sure he wouldn’t give the football program short shrift in favor of hoops. He was the basketball radio color guy for many years.

Rick’s lack of interest on the radio was and is for current Razorback sports except baseball. Matt says he has a full time job being the media guy at Springdale School District, so that may explain why he had and has no current knowledge of most Razorback teams. When I listen to Clay, Dudley, Trey, Richard, Bo, etc. on the radio, they all have current knowledge on football, basketball, recruiting, AND baseball. Rick falls way short of those guys and I find most of his comments to be dull, snarky, and uninformed except when he talked about baseball OR long ago in Razorback history. I guess now, he will be the same with baseball since he is no longer involved with them.

I for one missed Rick when they remove him from football. I never thought Keith Jackson brought much to the broadcasts except for his folkiis attitude and how he talked about food.
Rick could tell you the last time something happened even if it occurred 20 years ago. No way with Keith. At least he was smart enough to not bring up any Oklahoma stories.

Scotty Thurman was horrible As a basketball color guy. He was mono toned. “Defintely So”. Was his answer to most responses. He never gave us any stats. Rick could fire off stats in a second.

I thought Chuck was the best baseball guy ever and I thought Rick was a greet complement to him.

He will be missed…

When did Rick leave as SID and what was the reason given? That’s been a while back, so I’ve forgotten. I always respected Rick and he always knew and accommodated me any time I needed a media pass.

Can’t remember the date, but it was before Jeff Long’s tenure began. I don’t recall a reason other than he resigned.

As for the change on the radio, I like it. Rick was entertaining because of his encyclopedic knowledge of Razorback baseball history and his understanding of the game’s general strategy. But he couldn’t talk about the game as a former player because he wasn’t one. I listened to most of the game Friday and could already tell Bubba was going to bring an element to the broadcasts that they had never had. His insights, particularly as a hitter, were valuable and instructive. He won’t have Rick’s immediate recall on the game-winning hit in the 1985 CWS game against South Carolina in the 16th inning (I believe it was Keith Kerns after failing to get down a bunt) but he will be able to tell us what a player in Keith’s situation is looking for or thinking.

Rick retired as SID in 2001.

Baseball is not boring.

It is greatest sport ever invented.

This may or may not have had a basis in fact, but my recollection is that JFB was perceived to have forced Rick out at that time, and that Nolan once said (or was said to have said) that Frank had Rick’s cojones in a jar on his desk.

The avid baseball fan who fell asleep during a really exciting game and had to call Rick to find out what he missed is a true story and is a very good indication of how exciting baseball really is. JMVHO and the declining ratings of MLB seem to back this up.

It’s not just baseball is boring; it’s not. But we live in a microwave society that wants everything immediately and has grown up on ESPN highlights. So instead of watching a timeless baseball game, they see the sport as boring. It’s not boring. We just want everything faster. That’s why most think a 14-7 football game is boring and have to have 52-45 games to stay interested. Got to score, score, score to be exciting!

Rick left in 2001 and that was a Broyles decision.

I wouldn’t have taken Rick off the color of baseball. I was never a fan of his play-by-play. He got too excited over mundane plays and called batted balls to the outfield too quickly. Sometimes they were called deep drives and they were routine pops, sometimes gathered in by the shortstop.

But, having said that, Rick was terrific on the broadcast of baseball because he’s a numbers guy and baseball is a numbers game. He had the numbers at all times. He also had the history of the baseball program and that’s great in a baseball broadcast. You have time in baseball to insert all of that and he did it in fluid, easy style. He will be missed on the baseball broadcasts.

First, and foremost, Rick is a good person. He is considerate of others, complimentary almost to a fault. He’s a true gentlemen. He should have been allowed to pick his exit from baseball. Rick has a love of baseball and of Arkansas baseball. It’s sad that he’s not a part of it.

This is a perfect summary. He drove me crazy on PBP. But, he’s one of the nicest people you will ever meet–to the point you wonder how he can be that nice.

This is just another example of something that could be handled tactfully being handled poorly.

Rick will never say anything about it but you know it stung. I just don’t see the point in handling it this way.

And, while I can see where a former player adds to the mix, I think a blanket rule that all color guys must be former players is dumb.

As in most things, it should probably be handled on a case by case basis.

[quote=“TheNotoriousPIG”]

This is a perfect summary. He drove me crazy on PBP. But, he’s one of the nicest people you will ever meet–to the point you wonder how he can be that nice.

This is just another example of something that could be handled tactfully being handled poorly.

Rick will never say anything about it but you know it stung. I just don’t see the point in handling it this way.

And, while I can see where a former player adds to the mix, I think a blanket rule that all color guys must be former players is dumb.

As in most things, it should probably be handled on a case by case basis.

[/quote]Clay and Notorious, you both make very good points. I have never thought that Rick was anything but a gentleman. His knowledge of Razorback baseball was impressive and he certainly contributed to the broadcasts.