Need advice-Saturday morning in Fayetteville

should be a beautiful day. we’re going to Top Golf friday night, so as soon as I can drag 3 teenage boys out of bed we are heading out…somewhere. The game isn’t until 6:30, so we have a lot of time.

Any advice on what to do? Crystal Bridges is sold out till 2021.

so I thought we’d go hiking at Devil’s Den?

This board collectively knows a whole lot, so I’d appreciate some ideas. it’s me, my wife, 2 13-year olds and (I really, really hope) a 19 year old.

Thanks in advance

GHG

Devils is close, yellow rock trail is fairly simple. There’s some pretty close float trips available on the upper Kings River. Should be a beautiful day.

1 Like

There’s usually something happening on the squares in Fayetteville and Bentonville that we’ve enjoyed. Pea Ridge Civil War Museum is very well done with a beautiful drive through the battlefield area. Eureka Springs is fun as well. Didn’t realize Crystal Bridges could be sold out. We go there almost every trip…

1 Like

There is an Ansel Adams exhibit running at Crystal Bridges right now, so the reserved time entries are all booked. Every other day looks free, so I’m assuming lots had the same idea before the game.

Curious if you’re staying in B’ville/Rogers since you mention Top Golf?

I really like Devil’s Den, but that’s probably a 4 hour trip (if you’re staying in Benton County, 3.5 if you’re in F’ville) when you factor in drive time, hiking, and stopping for scenery.

If you can’t make it to Devil’s Den, there are trails on the grounds at Crystal Bridges that were full of color last weekend. Hopefully still there now. Couple of really good spots for breakfast on B’ville Square (Pressroom and Table Mesa) just two blocks from an entrance at Slaughter Pen Trail.

There are also a few trails in Bella Vista, which would be about a 10 minute drive from there.

1 Like

You could also consider 8th Street market and then walking to the Momentary in Bentonville. There is an amazing exhibit there right now and of course some competitive family shuffleboard and Bocce ball is always fun!

2 Likes

I’d suggest bringing or renting bikes and riding the Razorback Greenway. That’s where I’ll be tomorrow morning. It’s supposed to be a nice day.

2 Likes

we do to, and keep a membership there, I was very surprised that they are sold out. I assume they limit folks due to Covid???

GHG

Yep, got to be Covid. Plus we usually go there on the Friday before the game…

1 Like

I would go with Matt’s suggestion to do bikes on the Greenway. But if you’re intent on hiking, they have opened up the trails on Markham Hill to the public. It’s where the track and cross country team do their easy runs. You access the trailhead by going up Markham, just west of the stadium, all the way to the top to Pratt Place Hotel. There will be directions at the parking lot to the trailhead. The would be much closer in than Devils Den.

1 Like

I think there is hiking around Weddington area, too.

1 Like

Trials around Crystal Bridges are gorgeous too. Lots of places to walk/hike/ride bikes.

1 Like

There are some nice short hikes and walks in the Hobbs State Park/Conservation area east of Rogers, which we hike/walked the day before the Ole Miss game. The Van Winkle Historical trail is short and goes through the remains of a mill community that was really important to post-Civil War NW Arkansas. Very easy, plenty of parking and there are restrooms.

The Shaddux Hollow Nature Trail is about 1 1/2 miles, and takes you right up to an arm of Beaver Lake once you get down to bottom of a small ridge. There is a bit of up and down, since you start at the top of the ridge and then have to go back up, but most of the trail is either walking atop the ridge or down along a mainly dry creek bottom and the area near the lake. It was a nice little walk and there’s a decent sized parking area.

The visitor center for Hobbs State Park, which is close to both trails, is worth a look with some interesting exhibits, and again there are restrooms as needed. You are also real close to War Eagle Mill, which is certainly worth everyone getting out of the car and walking around a bit.

1 Like

Prepare the 13 year olds for college and sit at a bar for 5-6 hours before the game.

4 Likes

only if you and DD will chaperone them, lol

GHG

1 Like

The 19 year old will want a Bloody Mary so keep that in mind. I’d find a brunch spot at 11. There’s plenty that sell BMs. Then you can see if they day puts you on a hiking trail. I don’t like spending time in a car or traffic on Gameday. There’s plenty of scooters now to ride for pay around campus.

One of my wife’s relatives in North Carolina (Chuck Flink of Greenways, Inc.) helped plan and design the Razorback Greenway. You’re welcome. And he’d appreciate the plug. Think he appreciated the plug I put in for the Razorbacks whenever I saw him
(when he was here, not in Fayetteville).

No traffic with 16,500 in attendance.

Plenty of traffic everyday between here and Bentonville. I wasn’t referencing gameday traffic. Just that I like to tailgate on gameday over being in a car

No doubt, but it runs much smother with 6 lanes as opposed to 4, lol.

… And without the choke point as you got into Fayetteville.