NCAA volleyball vs. Utah State

On ESPN+ if anyone is interested. Hogs lead 18-11 in the first set and forced USU to call two timeouts.

Their main camera went haywire a few minutes ago so I don’t know how watchable it’s going to be. We’re getting an excellent view of the Arkansas bench and the Hog fans behind it. What’s going on on the floor (which is the tree-laden Oregon basketball floor with volleyball lines on it), not so much.

Camera problems solved for now.

Hogs win first set 25-19 after a weird sequence in which both coaches challenged a single point. USU won the challenges but lost the next two points and the set.

Hogs win second set 25-14, pulling way late in the set.

The announcers for this are doing simulcast on a Eugene radio station. For which I give the radio station props for carrying college volleyball; nobody doing our home games from Barnhill.

To be clear, the announcers aren’t ESPN. The announcers are for the radio station. ESPN+ is just picking up their audio.

Hogs win the third set and the match 25-15. They’ll play the Oregon-Loyola Marymount winner tomorrow to reach the round of 16.

1 Like

Total domination by the Hogs.

Utah St. almost never had the opportunity to play in rhythm.

Go Lions! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

USU had way too many unforced errors. They needed to avoid that kind of mistakes and didn’t.

Indeed! :+1:

Ducks up 2 sets on LMU.

Hogs vs. Ducks, 9 pm Saturday. Should be right after the basketball game.

SEC in the volleyball tournament:
Florida beat Florida A&M
Georgia lost to Texas in the second round after beating Towson in the first round
Kentucky has swept its first two matches (they’re the reigning NC, remember)
Auburn upset 4 seed Creighton at home
Tennessee lost to Purdue

Oh, and if the Hogs win tonight they’ll play Nebraska, which has beaten Delaware State and Kansas.

I watched the Oregon match and feel good about our chances. The west coast game is ball control versus the aggressive SEC style and I wonder how Oregon will be on defense against the number of scorers we have. If we manage to serve with accuracy (as we have so far) I feel we can win. The Oregon crowd could be a factor. Speaking crowds thank goodness we were not playing Texas. They wiped the floor with Georgia. Auburn, which we beat in 3 straight sets last week, had it going yesterday beating a good Creighton team.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.