NCAA men's golf day 4

It’s the day of reckoning. Either you make top 8 and move on to match play tomorrow, or you don’t. And to spice it up, the NCAA has paired up the 7th, 8th and 9th place teams as the last ones out this afternoon. That would be, in order, Texas, Arkansas and Auburn.

We’re 6 shots behind Texas, and 3 shots behind Auburn. Can you make up 6 shots in a day in the best-4-count format? Absolutely. Texas made up 8 shots on us yesterday. Can you lose 3 shots to Auburn? You can lose three shots in one hole, y’all. So stay tuned.

https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=24981

As a side note, two of the Texass players are the Coody twins, Parker and Pierceson. If the name Coody rings a golfing bell, it should. Their grandfather is Charles Coody, 1971 Masters champion. Pierceson has been leading some college golf ranking done by Golf Channel for most of the year, but Parker has played better this weekend.

Other SEC standings: Vandy is currently in third place behind the two Mobilehoma schools, and 21 shots ahead of us. They’re probably safe to advance to match play. Florida, Georgia and Ole Miss made the top-15 cut to today. Florida and Georgia are five and six shots behind the Hogs, so they could challenge for top 8 with a good day. The Rebnecks are 11 shots back.

And Texas A&M missed yesterday’s cut by two shots. But they have company. Stanford, Wake Forest, Florida State and tOSU are also heading home; BYU is already there since they finished up Saturday (and started Thursday)., College of Charleston, meanwhile, missed the cut by 36 shots (how the heck did they get out of regionals?)

Assuming the Hogs move on to match play, it will be seeded by the finish at the end of today. If match play were starting today, we’d be playing Oklahoma, Texas would be playing Okie Lite, Vandy would be playing Arizona State, and North Carolina would be playing Pepperdine. Quarterfinals and semifinals are both tomorrow, with the final match on Wednesday.

Oh yeah, the individual national title will be decided today. Gordon Sargent of Vandy leads at -4. Parker Coody, and Mateo de Oliveira of Arkansas, are both tied for fifth at even par. It would be fun (and help the team) if Mateo can make a run at the top today. Our next best player has been Segundo Pinto, T-17 at +3.

2 Likes

So, we are doing pretty good, right? I don’t understand the formats really, but it seems we have done well

It’s the most amazing result of form that I’ve ever seen (or remember). Arkansas was seeded No. 14. But the other teams in the top eight were all seeded No. 7 or higher. The seeds are based on scoring averages (and head to head results) from the year. I’ve NEVER seen where the top seven were literally the top seven after three days of stroke play. If it happened, I wasn’t paying attention. But I suspect that this is a rare event of form holding true at the NCAA tournament.

Well, we got out of regionals, which had 81 teams total in six regions, and got to the national tournament, which is 30 teams. Then we made the cut yesterday to the last 15 (I guess you can think of it as the Sweet 16 of golf). Today’s cut is to the Elite Eight. So yeah we’ve done pretty well. The women didn’t make the cut to the last 15 last week, by the way.

I’m thinking that once under this format we got all the way to the championship match and lost a close one to the Aggies (my memory is correct; we lost the 2009 final 3-2 to A&M)

And if Texas Tech makes up three shots on us and gets into the top 8, the 8 match play teams could all be the 8 top seeds.

This one had to hurt: A&M had three guys bogey 18 yesterday. All three guys had counting scores. They missed the cut by two shots. So they literally blew it on the last hole.

Jeff, that happens an incredible amount of the time in college golf. The pressure when it’s cut day on that final hole of the NCAA is the one time that there is incredible pressure. Not so much at any other time. They know there is another tournament in two weeks. But making the cut or making the match play field and there is one or two holes left, it just can’t be much fun for the coaches or those players. Making a par when that’s on the line is the same as trying to make a par on the last hole to win a major. Few can do it. I’ve heard men and women playing NCAA golf tell me they wanted to throw up when they finished. I believed them.

We tee off starting at 1:06 pm Arkansas time, by the way.

Looks like they are going home.

Yup. TTech overtook us with six shots to spare.

De Oliveira is ninth in the individual race.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.