NCAA changing up baseball tournament format

Regionals and supers will be at predetermined sites. I would be willing to bet Baum-Walker will be one of those sites, but we’ll find out in early May.

Down in the thread, Kendall also says sites will be chosen on merit; they won’t put a regional in Baton Rouge just because they have a big ballpark since LSU sucks this year.

One guess for regionals based on current rankings:

Supers and regionals:
Vandy
Hogs
Moo U
Rebnecks
Texass
TCU
UCLA (guessing they have to put a super somewhere west of Fort Worth)
East Carolina

Regionals only:
Tennessee
Louisville
Florida
SoCar
Okie Lite
Notre Dame
Miami
TTech

Same also applies to the softball tournament but sites will be announced earlier.

So the question is are they selecting these sites based on merit at the time of selection? Or are they choosing just on logistics?

I think it will be based on merit at the time the sites are chosen.

In previous years, the regional/super regional sites were also predetermined (before the start of the regionals) and based on merit (performance during the season dictated seeds 1-16). Other than predetermining the sites about 3 weeks earlier than in previous years, what are the major differences here?

1 Like

That’s my question as well

There is a lot of hue and cry about this on Twitter, but most of the host sites will be pretty clear as to who they should go to

That’s my understanding. There is the possibility that a team will crash and burn in May and no longer deserve a top seed by the time June rolls around, but there’s no reason a 2 seed can’t host. It’s happened before if a 1 seed didn’t have an adequate ballpark available.

As I understand it this is to allow time to set up things like COVID testing for the participating teams.

I found an NCAA memo that explains it a little better. Super sites won’t be chosen until after regionals, but there’s no way a super could be held anywhere else (so our situation in 2015 where we hosted the super after going on the road for the regional is not possible). Again it’s to give three weeks lead time to prepare testing, etc., for participating teams at each site.

Can’t remember if I shared this already or not.

My nephew was in-town the weekend of the NCAA Indoor Track & Field National Championships. He was doing a campus tour, so we took him to all of the athletic facilities. The COVID testing for the event was actually being held in DWR Razorback Stadium. I poked my head in to see what was going on and they just happened to be closing everything down on next to last day. Spoke with a gentleman that was working with the testing agency who said the setup was pretty detailed. He then said that of the 3,000 tests administered that week to athletes, staff, and workers that only 2 tested positive.

Good info. The memo I found says testing should be separate from the competition venue, so they wouldn’t do it in the Fowler Center or Tyson, but they could do it at RRS or BWA or Walker Pavilion. And this will be more like testing less than 200 people, not 3000, but it still needs to be arranged well in advance.

I join hogstetrician & docestes in wondering what the real changes are. Other than perhaps the date, I don’t see anything different.

Basically, this does two things: Gives the sites four weeks to prepare instead of a week; and we know that there won’t be any supers at weird sites if a 1 seed gets eliminated. Say our regional is paired with TCU and we lose to ORU and they lose to Houston. The super would be in either Baum or Fort Worth, not Tulsa or UH.

1 Like

The biggest change, in my opinion, is that the final 2-3 weeks of the regular season and the conference tournament won’t matter in determining which parks are determined as hosting sites.

1 Like

I just looked at the NCAA softball RPI for last week (not updated yet today). Hogs are #6 there, and sweeping Auburn won’t hurt that, which puts them in the mix for both regional and super as well. Softball tournament will also name regional sites well in advance.

I thought the super regional site was determined as well so that even if the super regional host lost it would still be played at their venue. Your way makes more sense though.

I quote from the NCAA memo:

If an institution is selected to host a preliminary round(s), but that given institution’s team
is not selected to the championship, the institution will still be required to host. … 16 predetermined regional sites will be selected; and of those sites, eight super regional
sites will be selected at the conclusion of the regionals

So it’s possible that if somebody completely crashed and burned in May, they could host but not be in the tournament at all; however, they will select sites on merit. But the 8 super sites will come from the 16 regional sites.

It’s not that much different than now. If we were the 4 seed and TCU hosted and was paired with us, and we lost in the regional, the super would be in Fort Worth.

If two teams that are “road” teams win the Regionals, couldn’t that force them to pick a site that was not a host of a Regional?

Nope. Because of the testing issue; that’s why they’re doing this, to give the hosts time to get the testing protocol set up. If our regional is paired with TCU’s, and ORU wins our regional and Houston wins the TCU regional, the super will still be in either Fayetteville or Fort Worth.

Note: ORU and UH are both below .500 this year, I just chose them as examples of a 2 or 3 seed that could get sent to those regionals.

1 Like

There is another way a hosting team does not play there. It could get wiped out by Covid. Not likely now. But not impossible.

Now that everyone above 16 is eligible, I hope every UA athlete gets the vaccine immediately. I hope many already have.