NBA draft just leverage for NIL

Maybe this isn’t new thinking but what if Jaylin knows he’s not ready for the NBA, which my mostly uneducated eyes say he isn’t, and is just using the draft process for NIL leverage?

I would wager that is the situation.

That would be great, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the current situation.

You have better connections than I do. Hope you’re right.

As I said in another thread:

I’ll quote RD and Dudley - “When it comes to recruiting, never say never.”

This goes for JWill’s situation. I saw this draft profile yesterday:

If you go down to the bottom, it has a draft projection, anywhere mid first to mid second in either the 2022 or 2023 draft. Swine, however, yesterday, found an article where Jaylin is interviewed and says he needs a guarantee from a NBA team to stay in the draft.

All I know is right now, Muss expects Jaylin to get drafted and the twins to have eligibility. But, again everything is subject to possible change.

ESPN posted a mock draft last night after the lottery which had JWill going mid-2nd round to the Pistons. That high enough, if he gets the guarantee he told Andy Katz about?

I am hoping Jaylin comes back for the sake of Razorbacks. He could be the difference between making us a national contender immediately instead of working towards it through the season. At this time it looks like 65% that he comes back.

However, for him personally, I don’t know if he can improve his draft status and move into the first round a year later. I just don’t see the hop and athleticism it takes for a 6-9 or 6-10 player to be a first rounder. Given that, he will have to become an exceptional shooter to be a first rounder. Can he improve his athleticism and shooting that much? I don’t think it is about improving his average over last year.

He’s been working this summer and there are some videos showing his shooting. Guy that posted the videos said he is getting better arc on the ball and hitting more shots. Also said he’s getting more bounce

Why is he just now starting to put arc on his shot?? Could have been doing that here for 2 years. I have always thought he could have been a great shooter.

I have seen that and thought that would move him up the draft order, but it hasn’t. That is why I concluded what I did. Can he improve further. Perhaps he can with another year.

I am more focused on the bounce. Plus he needs to show ability to take defender off the dribble since NBA teams are looking at him playing on the wing,

2 Likes

Money is a great motivating factor. Was probably told to work on his shot by NBA scouts. Don’t see an NBA team giving a second round draft pick a guaranteed contract no matter how much up side a player has. If he doesn’t want to come back, he should get ready for the G League or playing overseas.

I hope Jaylin comes back, but I think he stays in the draft. He would have already withdrawn if he were going to do that. Coming back won’t improve his draft position in 2023. He is a second rounder (a very good one) who is headed for the G-League regardless of what he does. Hopefully he can improved his skills enough to make the jump to the NBA in a few years.

I just don’t buy that he couldn’t help his draft stock by coming back for another year…the unquestioned leader of the most likely pre-season #1…? The only guarantee that he should be looking for is a 1st round guarantee. I know his NIL opportunities alone would be enough to change my life.

1 Like

I agree. To say he can not improve his draft stock is to say he has peaked. A 19 year old, has not peaked by any stretch. Was MJ peaked at 19?

1 Like

If MJ had come out after his freshman year, and no one did one-and-done then, he would not have been a high draft choice. He averaged 13 points as a UNC freshman, good but not great. Certainly no one saw him then as a future GOAT, natty-winning shot notwithstanding.

1 Like

Isiah Joe 2nd round 49th pick:

Isaiah Joe signed a 3 year / $4,198,912 contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, including $2,416,291 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,399,637. In 2022-23, Joe will earn a base salary of $1,782,621

1 Like

I agree that Jaylin probably can’t improve his draft status much by returning, but I think he will be a second rounder and makes NBA roster next year like Isaiah and Gafford did. He may struggle to make the regular rotation on the team like Isaiah and Moses are finding right now, but that will depend on the team he goes to.

G League may be something he is sent to off and on as the Warriors have done with Moses.

I don’t think any player uses the draft process as leverage for NIL. Their ultimate goal is and always will be to play in the League. Jaylin just happens to be a very marketable player in college and testing the draft most likely didn’t affect any potential NIL earnings. The whole state loves him and rightfully so.
If he comes back I pray he doesn’t suffer a career altering injury.

That was then, not now. After hai initial contract is up, no way does he command that kind of money. Don’t get me wrong , I love that fact that Joe has made a great living at basketball. But the return on the investment hasn’t been there. I just don’t see another GM offering JWill that kind of money.

There are many players in the league that get guaranteed contracts while being drafted in the second round. If you google it you will see that the number is pretty high.

I have a former AAU player of mine that plays for the Portland Trailblazers. He was in the G league for 2 years and has been on the Trailblazers full time roster the last two years. He makes around 850k a year plus great benefits, many fringe benefits and is now fully vested in the NBA retirement.

Jaylin and his people will make sure he has a deal in place if he goes second round. I would assume many teams have already told him they will give him a guarantee if picked in the second round.

2nd round picks last year just to name a few:

Herbert Jones signed a 3 year / $5,321,096 contract with the New Orleans Pelicans, including $5,321,096 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,773,699. In 2022-23, Jones will earn a base salary of $1,785,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,785,000 and a dead cap value of $1,785,000.

Ayo Dosunmu signed a 2 year / $2,488,776 contract with the Chicago Bulls, including $2,488,776 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,244,388. In 2022-23, Dosunmu will earn a base salary of $1,563,518, while carrying a cap hit of $1,563,518.

Miles McBride signed a 3 year / $4,324,872 contract with the New York Knicks, including $4,324,872 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,441,624 . In 2022-23, McBride will earn a base salary of $1,563,518, while carrying a cap hit of $1,563,518 and a dead cap value of $1,563,518.

You make a good point, Jeff, but all the guys you mentioned are getting rotation minutes, and Jones was criminally underrated. Isaiah may need to go to a bad team to get some run.