National Anthem

Fire away. Y’all talk and opine all you want. But to attack these girls as unpatriotic, in my view, is wrong and will have a bad ripple effect, especially if you ask a state institution to prevent the kneeling.

And also see the recruiting note above. Unintended consequences can be a bit**.

I agree with you about asking the UofA to prevent it. They can’t, and shouldn’t. They have the right to free speech. As do the fans who don’t like it.

As to recruiting, maybe. Do you think Alabama fans would be going “you go girls!”? LSU fans? Georgia fans? Tennessee fans? Nope.

The vast majority of sports fans won’t support this. Doesn’t matter the school.

I agree that the University can’t prevent it nor should they even try. However, there is nothing wrong with the Chancellor of our University system just as the Chancellor of the Texas system so eloquently did state his expectations to the Presidents, ADs, Coaches and Athletes within their system.

Count me in!! Freedom of speech!

You must know very little about the military and what the flag represents to them. Veterans who have lived through and died in combat looked at the flag as sacred. If they leave a post where the flag is flying, they will never leave the American Flag behind. If they are under fire and the flag is flying, they will not leave the flag behind. They are fighting for America and they are fighting for the flag that represents America. Yes, I served in the military and my father was a World War II veteran.

These girls may think they are not disrespecting the military, but in the eyes of veterans, they are. Someone needs to explain this to them. They were on their knees, looking down in disrespect to the flag and to the military guard proudly holding the flag a few feet from them.

Protest all they want, but find a way that doesn’t hurt and disappoint the veterans who proudly fought for their right to protest. In my (and millions of other veterans) eyes, their protest of the National Anthem, the flag, and thus the military who fight under that flag for their freedom, is having the opposite affect they are trying to achieve.

I support everyone’s right to have an opinion. The young ladies have a right to speak out and people have a right to be offended by it and withhold their support.

Personally, I can’t think of a scenario in which I would kneel for the national anthem. I work with and support our law enforcement and I am in awe of the sacrifices made by our military, and I would avoid kneeling because, even if unintended, it suggests to many/most that the person kneeling does not support the military, law enforcement and the country/flag.

But, I also think, as always, there is quite a bit of injustice in the world, and one of the things our brave military men and women fight for is our right to rail against it.

One would think reasonable minds could differentiate between a protest against police brutality and a protest against ALL police.

We aren’t there as a country, though. Look around. There’s so much hate.

Kindness is a weakness. Everything is about partisan politics, whose tribe/party/religion is best and there is very little time for listening and careful consideration of reasoned, but opposing viewpoints.

I’m as guilty as anyone. And it’s disappointing. I was taught that before we judge a man or women, we should walk a mile in their shoes. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

But, that kind of empathy is rare, anymore. Everyone is too busy making sure they’re right, or that they’re offended or that their tribe wins. And, that’s too bad.

As an aside, my 4-year old daughter came in earlier, beaming, and (just for me) recited the Pledge of Allegiance (all the words).

It made me think we are raising her right. If I’m lucky enough to be around when she’s 24, if she is part of a peaceful protest, I’ll be proud of that, too, as long as it is done after thoughtful consideration and a desire to stand up for her beliefs, even in they might be unpopular to some.

Just listened to 3 of the young scholars explain why they felt it necessary to draw attention to themselves over “team” during the National Anthem. One wonders if they ever considered what is the tradition behind the playing of the anthem and the alma mater before sporting events. I support anyone’s right to free speech, to protesting at city council meetings, to carrying protest signs outside a police station, to writing letters to editors… but this is misguided and misinformed and ineffective protest. It creates division in a place where there is supposed to be unity. Look what it’s done for good ol’ Mizzou, where enrollment is down 6,000 students this year, donor money to academics and athletics is down, and maybe coincidentally, Mizzou is suffering its worst performance in every major sport it competes in within the SEC. Think all that protest in Columbia, MO or San Francisco, CA did anything to reduce the chances of an innocent kid getting shot (not by police) in South Chicago?

I have a 25 year old son who has some political views different than mine. If he wants to protest something I will support his right to do so. That said, I have explained to him that there are consequences to such actions. Those consequences should not be from the government (be it police, as long as the protest is lawful, or from a public university taking away scholarship money) but it may be from loss of friends, public ridicule, etc. If you are just an “average Joe” it probably doesn’t matter if the public doesn’t like you. But for some people it could make a difference. Whether you are David Duke or Sean Penn, your public statements on political issues will have an affect on you. They BOTH have the right to say what they want. Thank God and our Constitution for that. I don’t have to like or support either one.

I agree with practically everyone on the board. As I said before, I understand protesting if that is what they choose to do. It’s their right. But for every action, there will be a reaction. For every protest (right or wrong), there is a consequence (good or bad). My concern for these young ladies is that consequence of this protest follows them throughout their adult lives and does not have the impact on society they hoped it would achieve. That’s the risk they take. They obviously feel it is worth it. I’m not a fan of this kind of protest because in a moment a team ought to be, well, a team, it seems to focus on individuals. And, FYI, I don’t pay to go to concerts to hear the musicians give me their political views, and I doubt many pay to go to sporting events for the athletes to make a political protest.

Think this sort of thing stops with the women’s teams?
Long better get out in front of this before any of Anderson’s or Bielema’s guys upset
some actual revenue generating fans who won’t hesitate to exercise their free speech rights in Long’s or the Chancellor’s office.

So then what we need to teach our young people is that free speech and their principles expressing a minority view (but not as “minority” as you think) must always succumb to the majority viewpoint and money? Really? That’s pretty sad. And I’m pretty sure that cuts against nearly all university policies promoting free exchange of ideas and learning.

Then again, what with the Razorback Foundation and all, Razorbacks athletics really aren’t part of the university anyway, right? It’s just a big old bloated, private commercial enterprise whose vitality ultimately depends on a bunch of unpaid 18-22 year olds whose play generates millions of dollars.

Maybe the fat cats in the Foundation will intervene here soon. Wouldn’t surprise me. They’ve done so great in recent years ensuring our football and basketball teams are in the hunt for conference championships and not getting beat by scores like 56-3. Hell, if we’ll tolerate 56-3, then why can’t we choke down a little protest by the women’s hoops team?

Sheesh. How silly this all is. Keep kneeling ladies.

Greg, he is right. People (fans) look at this the wrong way (most people do). I was a Soldier, I fought and bled for this country, and I’ve lost many friends who fought and died. My viewpoint is:

They have the right to do whatever the hell they want. If I said no, I would be disrespecting my brothers and sisters that died. The issue is they don’t know any other way to protest, because they aren’t thinking (I disagree completely with Dykes on this). However, we as fans voicing our displeasure looks like an attack on these young student athletes, which will in turn cause the other students to back them, even if CBB and CMA say you can’t, it’ll become an us versus them. So, here is an idea, ignore them, let them kneel, and don’t read or listen to any article the media does on it. That’ll take away “the platform” and make them think of a new, better way to protest.

And for all of you’ “injustice in America” crowd, Obama said stand during the National Anthem, not to do so is disrespecting the troops, and he very much supports the “injustice in America” crowd.

I guess I’m still puzzled at what the military (and/or veterans) did so wrong to these ladies??? Please give your free speech answer to that.

As for the Razorback Foundation, it takes two to tango. If there weren’t student athletes, there probably wouldn’t be a RF; if there wasn’t a RF, the student athletes wouldn’t have some of the facilities and amenities that they currently enjoy. As an example, the new basketball facility. The RF had a lot to do with raising the funds to complete it. Now it’s in the students hands. Whether they choose to utilize it (either to improve their skills, or merely to hang out in) is up to them. They can choose not to use it. The athletes can choose to go 0-28 if they wish.

If you don’t like the RF, you don’t have to donate. That’s free speech with your wallet. But to jump on a private nonprofit foundation that clearly supports these kids is asinine. The RF won’t be the factor in the amount of support the women’s basketball team receives; it will be those who contribute to the RF on behalf of the women’s basketball team that will.

Mizzou has been decimated by the actions of some students (that the university ultimately didn’t reign in). If you want that at Arkansas, that’s your free speech right. I’m not with you.

I’m not a huge Lady Razorback fan, but I certainly am disappointed over their actions!!!

As soon as I heard that the women kneeled, I knew this thread was coming. Unfortunately, you didn’t disappoint me.

First of all, the anthem is played way too often. Before every single game? Loses its impact.

Second, it is not the anthem solely of the military, nor is the flag the flag of the military. They are both for all 330 million of us. And there is a significant subset of that 330 million who believe that their government, and more specifically the police, does not regard them as equal to the rest of the citizens. If I believed that, I would be protesting too.

A lot of the military get this. They fought to protect our country, yes, but also to protect our freedoms and our rights: The freedom to be a Baptist, or not; the right not to be subjected to unreasonable searches and seizures, and the freedom to express yourself. Including kneeling during the anthem. I would be willing to bet that if they played the anthem while the football players were on the field, not all of them would be standing. It’s your right to be pissed off about that too, and to express that, but don’t begrudge them their own right to self expression.

To me this is horribly offensive. I served and the Anthem and Flag are sacred to me and I personally consider this an affront to both.

With that said, It is their right. I served to give them this right. What is offensive to one, isnt another and that’s OK. We dont have to agree, we just have to be civil in our discourse.

There is a lot of injustice in this country. African-Americans and other minorities are not on a level playing field everywhere. But, just as not all African-Americans are bad, neither are all cops bad. With both African-Americans and cops, the vast majority are trying to live their life as best they can with the hand that was dealt.

Anyway, we should give these girls the benefit of the doubt. Part of the process of growing up is making decisions and learning to live with those decisions, be they good, bad or indifferent.

You got that part right…

From a sports business perspective, the problem is that the ladies have now imbued the Razorback women’s basketball brand with the national anthem protest. This is obviously an issue to some and not to others.

To those offended by the protest, the perceptual damage may have been limited to one women’s sport and possibly excused as the actions of kids. However,
Dyke’s support extends the offendeds’ ire to a supervisory level and Long’s support further broadens the target to the executive level.

Assuming those who are offended intend to impose some financial penalty in a protest of their own, Long’s statements could impact revenue sports by virtue of his authority over them.

Most athletic supporters do not donate to or attend women’s basketball games. Their only recourse may be to protest football and/or men’s basketball via reduced attendance or donations. That would really be the only way to impactfully show displeasure with the women’s team.

Athletic support from those with positive or neutral opinions of the ladies’ protest could also be impacted. Sports provides a way to escape the stresses of our daily lives. Politics, perceived/real police brutality, and social movements are a daily stressor to many. When sports teams/athletic departments come to represent these stressors some may discontinue support of their athletic endeavors even if we support their political/social positions.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Personally, I am sorry the ladies (correctly, incorrectly, or both) feel so wronged that they believe this protest is necessary. I am also sorry that their chosen method of protest is disrespectful to our nation and uniformed service people.

Is that aimed at me? If so, that’s odd, because our opinion on this seems to pretty much be in lock step.

No, not at all, was talking to Greg.

I know people will disagree with what I say and quote injustice, that’s why I used what Obama (when he involved himself with the Treyvon Martin case, it was what really made this into what it has become, you can say he started the movement, or at least made it mainstream) said. He has even pitched the idea of researching what it is you’re protesting, learn about all the facts, and then decide on the course of action that would best serve your protest. Seems like good advice, but a lot of times people follow examples of others (Kaepernick) instead of coming up with creative and better ways.