Nate Oats and Alabama

Starting to think Nate Oats is more Stan Heath than Eric Musselman. Good recruiter, subpar coach.

They have been incredibly underwhelming since he got there, finished maybe a game above .500 last year with a very talented roster. They bring in the #11 class in the country along with Quinerly (who transferred from Nova last year and sat out) and Jordan Bruner from Yale, who Muss wanted. That makes them a trendy top 4/5 pick in the conference.

Then watched them get dominated last night by a middle of the pack in the PAC 12 Stanford team. They seem to lack an identity, played fairly soft, Bruner was really a non-factor. If I was a Bama basketball fan, I’d be concerned.

Like you, I’ve seen some pundits say Alabama is a Sweet 16 team at least. Not saying that can’t happen, but there was no basis to make that claim to begin with.

Blockquote
2h

Starting to think Nate Oats is more Stan Heath than Eric Musselman. Good recruiter, subpar coach.

They have been incredibly underwhelming since he got there, finished maybe a game above .500 last year with a very talented roster. They bring in the #11 class in the country along with Quinerly (who transferred from Nova last year and sat out) and Jordan Bruner from Yale, who Muss wanted. That makes them a trendy top 4/5 pick in the conference.

Then watched them get dominated last night by a middle of the pack in the PAC 12 Stanford team. They seem to lack an identity, played fairly soft, Bruner was really a non-factor. If I was a Bama basketball fan, I’d be concerned.

They are concerned, Biff. All six of them.

1 Like

It is always dicey to chase a guy who made one decent NCAAT run with a lesser team. Heath proved that and there’s obviously been others. Oats may be in that mold but I feel like the jury is still out on him.

Maybe what you say will turn out like you predict. But as posters warn not to make a judgement based on one game when we evaluate Arkansas players and team, same should apply to other teams.

Also Bama was hit with injuries to key players just like Arkansas was. Arkansas finished 11th with POY and league’s best shooter and best mid range guy. Bama did no worse than us.

Also Stanford could turn out to be a good PAC 12 team. They have Ziaire Williams and a couple of key pieces.

But yes, Bama looked awful. There is no question there.

Boy I agree Bama looked like complete garbage last nite. Bama was the worst defensive team in the SEC last season. It appears the poor defense has carried over to this season.

Maybe Stanford is better than middle-of-the-pack Pac-12 team, who knows?

I live in AL so I follow Bama hoops fairly closely. I can’t help but feel Bama made a mistake canning Anthony Grant. Should’ve stuck with him a little longer IMO. He was starting to slowly turn it around there and building a strong defensive identity. Bama just wasn’t patient enough. Now look what Grant is doing at Dayton.

Stanford is the second-highest rated Pac-12 team in KenPom’s rankings. They’re no slouch. Giving North Carolina a great game right now.

Jaden Shackelford didn’t have the best game against Stanford (1 of 8 on 2FG) and Herbert Jones turned it over five times. Interesting that Alabama didn’t find more success given it turned Stanford over 22 times.

1 Like

Was also looking at their season last year. Their roster had 4 former top 100 players on it (Hogs had 1, Jimmy Whitt), including a 2020 lottery pick in Kira Lewis.

Just seemed like a very underwhelming performance with that roster. Then after all the talk about them in the preseason they come out and lay an egg.

They definitely underperformed, even allowing for injuries to Petty and Jones.

BTW, Ethan Henderson was #87.

The Razorbacks have 7, top 100 players on the team this year. Moody, KK, Williams, Devo (not consensus top 100), Henderson, Jackson, and Smith. And 2 of the 7 (Moody and KK) were top 50 according to 247. In our last win, 3 of them did not see the floor and the 4th and 5th only got 5 and 8 minutes. And, we fell just 1 point short of doubling the Vegas spread on the game.

Just looking at those numbers tells me that our fans may be underestimating this team and it’s potential this year.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.