My thoughts after A&M

This is essentially my beef. Muss has had a couple recruiting misses, and it’s showing up big time on this team. But, I’m over the recruiting misses. It’s now all about improving what we have. While last night’s win was much closer than any of us wanted, it did make 4 wins in a row against SEC teams. I suspect Buzz has been trying to build up his team, too.

Another game showing how important Notae is on both ends of the court, and how crippled we are with him on the bench. Still, we won.

2 Likes

You have seen KK play this year, right? You did see Connor play in the last game? You have seen Jaxon still learning how to play defense, and not being a threat to drive the ball? I don’t know what’s up with Chance Moore, but in the brief bits he’s played this year nothing jumped out to say the guy should be in a seven or eight man rotation.

I agree that we are short two dependable ball handlers, and that’s on Muss. I would also say that Umude and Toney are now handling the ball a bit more of late, with slightly improving results, and that is probably going to be the path forward for this team, barring Lykes getting a lot more consistent.

But there’s a real good reason the other four are not playing much-they don’t give us as good a chance to win as the one’s that are playing.

1 Like

I was thinking during the game, I bet Jeremy wishes Keith Smart was making the substitutions like at LSU. Give Kk and Connor and Jackson a little cameo appearance, one or two minutes (or seconds) of rest for our starters is still good for them when you count the dead ball time it’s a significant breather, not to mention keep ‘em out of fouls trouble and hit the opponent with a little change of pace when our stars come back in fresh. I really liked what smart did there. And also never let off the gas offensively! Granted it was a different game, different pace, different score at lsu. But someone said in the game thread yesterday Muss did what we had to do to win because our offense is so bad. Give me a break! Our offense was as good as it’s been all year in the first half. We shared the ball, rotated the defense, attacked the paint, and made open shots. We didn’t do any of that in the second half. We won because of our defense… despite our lack of offense in the second half. It’s not that our offense was bad it’s that we didn’t play no offense in the second half. It was a clinic in how to lose a game at home that we led basically wire to wire and dominated for large stretches! Try to milk a 6-8 point lead running out the clock and take the crowd out of the game with 8+ minutes to go. That’s how we let them come back they basically only had to play defense for the last 8 seconds of the shot clock every possession and not even team defense just against whoever was pounding the rock in isolation at half court. I stand by my comment that mussleman comes across as out of touch when he complains about the attendance at the Bud and yet he basically takes the crowd out of the game for the last quarter of the game every time we have a minimal lead. Credit to a&m running their 2-2-1 zone to run the shot clock down and slow the game pace but we played right into their hands. That’s exactly how to neutralize our home court advantage. Glad we won. Our defense is looking great. Our team is playing together. Give me a lot more Trey Wade and a lot less Lykes. WPS

3 Likes

TV guys said something last night. They said Muss told them he goes 7 deep because when the other team is playing their 8-9-10 guys, he’s building a lead with his starters. Never heard that explanation before.

Goofball, if he stands there the game is over. If he takes the ball to the hole he might allow sufficient time for the opponent to make a miracle shot. Yes, he was supposed to catch the ball and let time expire.

1 Like

I honestly don’t understand all the bitching we won the game.

2 Likes

Me too, we won….we played a good team and beat them….we got our revenge…I’m going to see how the season unfolds….it looks like the team is starting to jell. If we keep playing great team defense, we will become a contender in the SEC.

1 Like

Somebody may get their chance to crack the rotation. There will be a foul trouble/injury (god forbid the latter) game at some point. So the KK’s, Jaxon’s and rest better be ready when their number is called and make the most of it. That’s how it’s done. Wait your turn then prove yourself.

I lost the whole concept that a team could play without a coach. If they were really talented you just need a ball and let them do their thing. That is so far from possible… its a fallacy. If nothing else we had that point driven home very deeply when we had a good senior heavy Arkansas Football team that lost Petrino and many of us thought they could put any old goober in there as a figurehead and this team would just do their thing and win anyways. I was never so wrong.

1 Like

Perhaps. But, similar to the way Portis was used in 2015, without J Will (and Notae) playing heavy minutes during the regular season, this team likely won’t even get to the NCAAT. So, do what you have to do now.

Muss is starting one guard and 4 forwards. It’s pretty obvious now he’s willing to sacrifice a little on offense for better defense and rebounding. So far it’s worked. Also, the refs gave us no help on offense at all last nite. Much of our offense depends on getting to the foul line. Arkansas should’ve had at least 6 more FT trips to the stripe. The refs really swallowed their whistles on that end of the court. A&M defenders got away with at least 6 fouls (if I remember correctly) right at the rim that should’ve resulted in FTs for Arkansas. Not sure why they weren’t called.

2 Likes

Yeah that has to be what it is.
When you only play 7 guys, no way you can go 100% on both ends… it just looks different because when I watch the other good teams they’re all running motion,setting pics down low, pick and roll but then again most all of them have a big guy that they can get the ball to on pick and roll and can score inside consistently… I’m just glad we’re winning. Defense has been elite though and that should be able to keep us in most every game.

1 Like

JWill willed us to that win last nite. No Notae in OT, and both Wade and Toney were dragging at the end. Don’t think either Toney or Wade were used to playing that many minutes.

2 Likes

None of those guys were used to playing that many minutes, that’s why we couldn’t get a rebound on their end, no legs to jump with or go get loose balls with… just glad we pulled that one out to be honest

2 Likes

Please try to keep discussion mature and civil —- name-calling really does nothing to elevate discussion. Lack of civility and respect for people with whom you disagree is such a problem in today’s society. But I have been called a lot worse than goofball.

My reply — or he could have been fouled, been sent to the line, missed the first shot — and then A&M rebounds and makes their shot and wins the game. By going for the open shot, he ensured that worst case scenario, A&M ties the game.

I imagine he’s preparing to make an another elite 8 run. I don’t think Muss thinks about each game the way fans do. He has a purpose, which I imagine is difficult to understand for those less qualified. Maybe not building depth is a message to those sitting on the bench. You have to get it done in practice before you get a change to get it done in the game. He is going to motivate however he sees fit, even if it costs us a game, which it didn’t…

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.