My theory on Gafford signing now instead of later....................

…is: you cannot go through a season, at his height and weight, being the focus of physical play like Daniel has dealt with, without getting banged up and worn down. Daniel has gotten up slowly holding his shoulder or putting little weight on a leg over and over this year. My Daddy, who worked over fifty years in the south Arkansas oil fields, has always said if you use a tool too much for something it is not designed for, you end up breaking the tool. So, if your 36" pipe wrench won’t break loose a fitting on an oil field pipeline, getting a 36" lengh of pipe to slip over the wrench handle, called a “cheater bar”, is not a good idea. Daniel is an NBA stetch four, small forward, type player, not a “post up and bang with the big boys” player. Because of our recruiting failures to get a qualified, tall, & physical player to play center, he has had to be our one and only center this year. I think he chose to heal up, concentrate on developing his small forward/stretch four skills, and not risk aggravating the multiple minor injuries he has been playing with, since it is an almost “meaningless” NIT game, not the big dance. He gave all of us far more than most players in the same position (including Zion at Duke) by coming back for a second year. He should be celebrated as a true Hog Hero, not condemened for just protecting his future. JMVHO.