My nightmare

[size=150]Beard talks to HY and is convinced.

Comes to Arkansas for $6 million for six years.

Recruits super well, goes 28 - 8 next year, Sweet 16

Four and five star commits abound

Texas goes 15 - 16; Smart fired.

Beard leaves for UT the day after Sweet 16 loss.[/size]

Our biggest obstacle is getting past the mindset of not hiring a coach that someone else might actually want. Hiring someone because we think he’ll want to stay here 15-20 years is not realistic in the long run. Hiring a “in-demand” coach gets us out of expensive buyouts if/when they choose to bolt for another job, which is a colossal waste of money IMHO.

If they bolt for another job, they pay us. We only pay if we fire them, with the exception of HDN, but that was probably worth it just to end the Springdale drama.

Exactly, and how did the last 3 BB coaching changes end? We had to buy out existing contracts. Hiring someone with, let’s say, a $5 buyout that other schools are willing to pay puts us as much as $10 million on the plus side versus $5 million+ on the negative side.

Buyouts are put in there because otherwise you have to pay for the full contract. I don’t remember how much time was left on Mike’s contract, but without a buyout clause we would have had to pay the balance of the contract in full. This way we only paid $3 million which is just over a year of Mike’s pay, and I know he had at least two years left. We came out ahead on this deal. With Bielema, it was about a wash; the buyout was what we would have paid him over the remainder of the contract if he had stayed.

But as you already said, if that coach bolts for another job, the coach or the gaining school pays the buyout to US, not vice versa. If the school is paying us the buyout, that’s double the money. It’s almost the exact opposite if we fire him for anything other than cause.

It’s not that difficult. The contract binds the parties together for a period of time, school to coach, coach to school. To get out of it before that period of time is over, barring firing for cause or breach of contract, one side or the other has to pay. Not having a two-way buyout would lead to lawsuits and all sorts of turmoil. Let’s say there was no buyout in our mythical deal with Chris Beard and in three years, after his second NC :slight_smile: the NBA comes calling, but we play hardball to hold him to his contract. Bad feelings, lawsuits, bad publicity, nobody wins.

I realize all of that, but having someone else pay us versus us paying them works to our benefit. It doesn’t have to come down to bad feelings. Pay us the buyout, and best wishes.

This is not a nightmare. It’s a dream. If we hire a coach that goes 28-8 and the sweet 16 that will be amazing. I hope we do hire someone that does so well others want them. Even if they do leave we’ll be way better off than we are now.

Wishful thinking on you part, (would be nice though ) just trying to bring you back down to earth at Arkansas. All you’ve done is pay this guy six million with a high buyout. Pundits outside of these borders have already said what Nolan’s accomplished want be duplicated again.

Wishful thinking on you part, (would be nice though ) just trying to bring you back down to earth at Arkansas. All you’ve done is pay this guy six million with a high buyout. Pundits outside of these borders have already said what Nolan’s accomplished want be duplicated again.

That would seem like a great thing, not a bad one.

Because coming off a Sweet 16 berth and a 28-8 season would make this a more attractive job than it is now talent-wise.

Yep and you would take his massive buyout money and go find another top notch coach who would be eager to jump at the recent success that you describe. I say massive buyout assuming if we were giving someone 6 years and 6 mill per, we have a safety valve

Let us dream together…