My feelings on Mike

I have kept quiet on this…but reading some things this week then hearing the Scottie on new NWA talk show actually predict (though he didn’t “feel good” about the prediction) that Mike would be gone at the end of the season.

My take is pretty simple. Yes, we all want deeper runs in the NCAA. That needs to happen. We all want to win an SEC championship. And I support the notion that we HAVE to make the NCAA’s next season…and show improved recruiting.

All that said, I believe it would be a terrible decision to fire Mike after this year. Horrible. We are on the verge of two really good recruiting classes in a row…and I for one believe that while Mike has underachieved in the NCAA’s when he had some studs…I do believe he’s a good coach that pulled our program from a horrible place.

At the very least…Hunter tells Mike things must be better next year…and if they aren’t, THEN Mike can be let go. But not til that talk and a season knowing the situation plays out.

Watching them tonight tells me we need a couple of big man pieces…and continued development of the guards we have…plus what we have on the way…and we can and should be better next year. Distinctly better.

I’m okay with Mike back next year, but who do we have coming in? So far, it’s Justice Hill. It may all come together, but we don’t have anyone else coming in, just yet!

I would support MA coming back next year. However, after 8 years, I expected that we should be a top 20 team. Just look at the new coaches in the SEC and see what they have done.

I just said this to someone in a pm, but I think Mike is back next year. There has been an incredible amount of rumors, but what jumped out to me last night was TJ not being there. Knowing the relationship between TJ and Mike, if last night was “Mike’s last ride,” I can’t see TJ not being there. The fact he was recruiting Jolly and not there makes me think Mike will be back. I also agree with Blu in another thread, for all the rumors (and they’ve been going on since we lost to WKY) about players and coaches, it sure seemed like the team was sending a message last night it wasn’t true.

Again this is just my opinion.

If Mike is losing two key returnees for next year, as rumored, then there is a far deeper flaw in the program than many realized after eight years on The Hill. It would put Hall and Jones’ defections last year in a new light. Add to that list Babb and Phillips. If two more, even better, players leave this next year, there is something wrong. When you recruit just OK, needing numbers more than top players for your system, you cannot afford these kind of losses. Especially if the trend is increasing. Players transferring out may be a trend in college basketball, but, it does not appear to be a two way street at Arkansas. Except for Harris, we are not receiving much, we are mostly losing players. That kind of explains our young team problem this year. The people that know more about what’s going on need to decide if the program needs new leadership. JMVHO.

“We are on the verge of two really good recruiting classes in a row.”

Which two would those be?

I agree. I’m not happy, but I think it’d be a mistake to let Mike go right now. Next year if we don’t make the NCAA, then it’s time. We need to do more than just make the NCAA, anyway. We need to make the Sweet 16 soon. We haven’t done that since Nolan did it in 1996(?). Regardless, we need to get to the NCAA & at least win our first game. This program has too much potential to just languish where we are. I’m grateful we haven’t slid like we have in football, but I’m ready to see a top 25 team again soon.

Gafford’s class, and Joe’s class.

Maybe it’s just my old school mentality, but I appreciate a coach who doesn’t waver on his principles and cave in to every thing the kids want. That may be hurting Mike in his ability to hang on to players, but the alternative is to have the inmates running the asylum. Seldom does that work out well for anyone. Mike seems to be a coach who rewards effort and a team first mentality and does not cave into to the whims of the me first kind of players or perhaps the my kid first kind of parents and handlers. I realize that Mike’s approach is going to hurt us at times, but so will tolerating selfish players and the adults who are in their ears. I saw a Vandy player give away a game that the Modores had in the bag this season, with an idiotic taunting foul late in the game. The kid suffered no consequences for his actions, and Vandy parlayed that loss into an 0 for SEC season. I don’t know what the answer is. If everyone who played last night comes back and Mike is able to add a couple of recruits who can play right away, we should be dancing next year. To dance deep on a consistent basis probably requires a coach who is willing to bend the rules a lot more than Mike is. That is the unfortunate reality of the world of college basketball today. If the games is cleaned up a bit, the shoe gods are driven from the temple, and the elite players are able to go straight to the NBA out of high school, Mike will probably win more. That’s what I’m hoping for, though I do realize that hope is not a plan.

I must’ve read it wrong. I thought the use of verge was future tense

Depends on who we land, there is some talent out there, whether certain posters believe it of not

My guess is that Mike will return with the knowledge he has to have a good season next year or he may be terminated. The court will be named in Nolan’s honor, which it should, and Nolan will be gracious and the past will pretty much be forgiven by both sides. It has been a long time for all this angst to fester. Hopefully, Mike will have some good fortune and things will be good for the program.

To fire a guy like Mike, that is a very difficult thing to do. You don’t do it unless you are convinced it is the right thing to do. You have to be certain it is the right decision. I just don’t think we are at that point. I would not do it if I were the AD.

I agree with the highlighted portion.

Agree also, it has to be a home run hire to replace MA, who can recruit & keep the recruits he wants that already have committed to AR, & without any previous baggage. Not a 1or 2 year wonder boy from a weaker conference.
Until it’s right let Mike try to work it out and steady the ship.

What two good recruiting classes in row? That certainly doesn’t include this year. Arkansas is not in the top 100 nor are no likely to be because Mike waited too long to recruit players. I’m sure we are beating the bushes, but the bushes have been picked clean. Of the dozen or so remaining top 150 players, none are showing much, if any, interest in Arkansas.

What two good recruiting classes in row? That certainly doesn’t include this year. Arkansas is not in the top 100 nor are no likely to be because Mike waited too long to recruit players. I’m sure we are beating the bushes, but the bushes have been picked clean. Of the dozen or so remaining top 150 players, none are showing much, if any, interest in Arkansas.

I still maintain as I have all along that if they intended to fire MA they would not have accepted the NIT bid

I think Anderson will be back next year. Doesn’t matter if I agree w that or not. The 2 good recruiting classes back to back? We are making it seems offers right and left now, this class won’t be ranked highly I don’t think. Most of the elite kids signed early. What I don’t want to see is a transfer from Cheney, Joe, Sills, Jones or Simpson. After last night I’m not as down on Henderson as I was.

Gafford not playing and I’m not making a judgement on his decision, but it just adds to the seemingly confusion that has plagued Anderson over the last few years. Players transferring, leaving early, etc.

Roster management, recruiting, and stabilization is desperately need if Anderson stays

IF the AD does choose to make a change I don’t believe it will be a home run hire in our mind and I do expect it to be some one from a weaker conference that is middle aged that has a good record without baggage. The reason I think this is that he hired CCM who only has a couple years head coaching experience with a losing record but obvious HY believes he’s up to the task and I believe he will use the same template when hiring a basketball coach if that’s next week or ten years from now. WPS

Did Hunter actually hire CCM?