My dog of 12.5 yrs has terminal Cancer

Your pup sounds amazing! I’ve lost one to cancer and one to a twisted gut. The twisted gut was sudden, but maybe easier due to it not being prolonged. I can tell you love yours unconditionally, and that’s the very best thing. Get as much time as you can, laugh, smile and love every minute you can. Here’s the hardest part. The last and best gift we can give is knowing when.

2 Likes

So true. I was very fortunate that when it was time for Sadie to go, a friend from the Humane Society came to my house and did what had to be done on her favorite chair and blanket. My great grandma had made the blanket, but I buried Sadie with it. It just seemed like the right thing to do. As much as I loved it, Sadie loved it more.

Like Clay said your little buddy knows when your happy & any other mood or emotion you may have. Stay cheerful & comfort him.
My heart goes out to you both.

PS:
So glad he hates Texas. I’m a big fan already.

1 Like

Heartfelt sadness for you and all the loving, compassionate folks on this board. Some tears are from an overflow of gratitude for our loved ones. Mortality sucks.
I was talking to my Booger kitty yesterday as he was awaking from a cat snooze, and I told him I know there is no way he can grasp how special he is to us and how deeply he is loved. I was struck how we are in a similar state with our relationship to God, our creator, we have no possible way to fully grasp His love for us and His desire for fellowship with us in our puny brain’s limited comprehension. Life is a gift, and our pets are a living example for us to know that love is real and that gulf between us will remain until we leave this mortal realm.
May peace and gratitude be with you in the days to come.

2 Likes

Scotchhog had a little time to think on it and want to add to my reply above. Remember that dogs “see” the world through their nose. Smells excite them. When my dog became weaker I would load her into the car and go to drives out in the country. Would find a road that was primarily wooded and had little traffic and would drive slowly and let her soak in the smells. Also took her to some of the state and federal wildlife refuges and let her soak up the atmosphere. (Seeing deer, a raccoon, and cottontails hit the spot). Something she really enjoyed was when I took her to the local zoo and got in the downwind parking lot, put her window into the wind and let her smell those smells.

1 Like

Lots of dog love on this thread. I am out back with my two right now. Guenivere (Guinny) is almost 9 now. She saved Mary and me in our darkest hours at the Mayo Clinic. Our newest family member is Morgaine…the protagonist of Mists of Avalon (Morgan le Fay in other Arthurian tellings). She is an 11 week old English cocker. Drove down to Tampa to get her last week from a breeder. Our first dog (Lancelot…see a theme? We also had an Arthur. He had to be put down with cancer. One week after Mary’s huge surgery in 2020. It was awful.) was an American Cocker. Lived to be 18. She is a little angel. Well, like all puppies she is into everything. But she is SO SMART. Already completely potty trained.

I love dogs more than I can even express. People on this thread clearly do too.

3 Likes

Scotchhog I hope you treasure your remaining time with your buddy.

There is so much love for our dogs on this site. As y’all know, I show my dogs and they compete in field trials. But their most important job is as my pet. Colt (in my avatar) is one of my two heart dogs. (My other heart dog was Shades, 1985 - 2000.) He sleeps with me every night and I treasure that time. His son (Dude) is now a member of the household. He gets bedtime several nights each week. Colt will be 7 in early February and Dude will be 6 months old at about the same time.

I know how tough it can be to have older dogs. They give us so much and it lasts for such a short time. Threads like this make me remember all of my dogs over the years and I miss them all.

Colt putting up with his kid.

3 Likes

Better than baby pictures to me Marty, but I never had kids. I will always have a dog.

1 Like

Call me Clayton. Im done as scotchog. At 43 thats how i intend to move forward in this lousy situation. I went out and got snozzled tonight due to Baxter’s situation. He will endure and that’s all that matters to me.

My vehicle is still at the bar as i do NOT drink & drive!

WPS!!!¹

Can we connect soon?

Beautiful shot. They really are members of our family, and usually well known to all. I have friends and family that will ask about our pets during a phone conversation.

1 Like

Clayton, I don’t blame you for getting snozzled, but very happy you didn’t drive.
What you are dealing with is the worst.
Just know you have friends here you can talk to, and all of us dog lovers have gone thru the same thing.
Love you, brother. Hang in there.

1 Like

Been meaning to reply. My heart goes out to you.

Dogs remind us everyday of what’s important in life. Their love and loyalty is unmatched. I wish humans loved like dogs.

God bless you.

2 Likes

Thank you Richard!

That is beautiful.

Mark Twain said, “when I die I want to go where dogs go”.

I hope that is Heaven.

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone again for their strong show of support. I had to put Baxter down this afternoon and hes now in a better place. I know at some point I will see him again.

WPS

2 Likes

Not a doubt in my mind, brother. God bless your heavy heart.

1 Like

Hard day for sure. Sorry for your loss. Grief is a terrible downer and stressful to boot.

2 Likes

I feel for you man! It’s hard to lose such a companion.
We had a Border Collie mix for 17 years. Had to put her down after multiple strokes. My wife and I cried like babies. Even though we have two dogs now, we still miss Zoe. Her urn is on a shelf along with her collar. She is not forgotten.
Sorry for your loss. God bless you brother!

2 Likes

scotchog, I am sorry for what you are going through. God bless you and your little buddy.

1 Like