Muss ejection

I didn’t see game today so have no idea what happened. Losing total control looks off to me. Maybe he’ll learn from it

Muss opted out.

1 Like

The officials were bad both ways today, but Toney got mugged and there was no call, so Musselman let the officials have it.

He didn’t get mugged. Not on the play when muss got ejected anyway. There were some missed calls for sure, but I’ve definitely seen worse. Muss was mad. Probably wasn’t the refs fault tho. We played like garbage.

2 Likes

Toney went up and got hit on the arm and was an obvious foul,even PBP said so,that was the hay that broke the camel’s back.The day sucked from the outset and he had seen enough of the crap from his team and Refs…now you know the rest of the story

1 Like

I didn’t think it benefitted either team more than the other, but it seemed there were a high number of officiating mistakes today — called fouls that weren’t fouls, non-fouls that were called fouls, wrong teams awarded possession on balls knocked out of bounds, etc.

He might have been tired of that, his team’s performance, or a combination of the two.

2 Likes

I didn’t know Marc Curles officiated basketball. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

He has a twin!

Great shot by our photog Charlie Kaijo today:

3 Likes

Glad Coach Smart is on our team. He can handle MUSS. For Smart, it’s like handling a 50lb bag of dog food with an alligator inside. LOL.

2 Likes

I think you’re referencing Ronnie Brewer, who held back Musselman today. Keith Smart was absent again today. This photo is from the AP.

AP21345747744202

3 Likes

Not one of Muss’s best looks.

3 Likes

Let him go ronnie! Free muss!

I think once Ronnie says it’s over, it’s over. Not many of us could get away from that grip.

4 Likes

Ronnie: Let’s hug it out coach.

Muss: If you want to hug something that tightly, try the ref’s head.

2 Likes

Getting mad at the refs is fine. Needing to be held back is unbecoming.

1 Like

When you close the game to three then let it get away, it is easy to see the frustration. We were down 15 when he was ejected.

1 Like

The game was called loosely but consistently the first half. The second half started with 4 ticky-tack fouls on each team. Then, three straight possessions, UA players went down while dribbling without a call. At some point, you ASSUME that contact caused them to go down or to lose the ball (or both).

My OU BIL sat next to me and said that is all about getting your team’s attention. True. He has been using almost every press conference to complain about 3-point defense and it beat us today. Several times players ran the wrong set/play (or so it appeared).

The frustration over the officiating sat on top of an uninspiring performance, getting beat precisely by the one thing the coach has most preached about this fall, 3-point defense.

At some point, a couple of players will suddenly play less as a way of getting their attention. It worked last year, for sure. I suspect this is a part of that, though, that he shouldn’t have to beg them to do something that is more about desire than it is talent - get a hand in their face.

2 Likes

At that point, with the game out of reach, it wasn’t about a particular missed call or about much of anything to do with the refs at that stage. But in my opinion, more of calculated response, although certainly mixed with a whole lot of frustration, intended to send a message to his team about the intensity that had been missing and pretty much telling them that “I am going to bring it and you better darn well do the same from here on out”

2 Likes