Most pitches by an Arkansas pitcher

I seem to remember an Arkansas pitcher throwing over 200 pitches, but can’t substantiate it. RYAN something?

Charly Boyce was known for his rubber arm.

I don’t know the record you speak of. It would be interesting to know.

I checked the press guide

Nothing listed as to total pitches

But Charlie Corbell holds the record for most innings pitched in a game:
11.2 against Rice in 1983

We lost that game 3-2

[quote]Arkansas relied on a pitcher who threw 14 1/3 innings and 203 pitches in two days and a catcher who caught four games in that time to beat Wichita State twice Sunday and win an NCAA regional baseball title.
[/quote]

Hogs’ Boyce retires 19 of last 23 batters

Boyce threw those pitches in two days, but still. Gene Stephenson had nothing good to say about Van Horn after those games. Of course, the “esteemed” Stephenson is the one who had a pitcher throw at a batter in the on deck circle.

I’m not positive but wasn’t that the same regional that Brady Toops had the historic grand slam to get us to the final?

Hogs’ Boyce retires 19 of last 23 batters

Boyce threw those pitches in two days, but still. Gene Stephenson had nothing good to say about Van Horn after those games. Of course, the “esteemed” Stephenson is the one who had a pitcher throw at a batter in the on deck circle.

[/quote]

Wasn’t that the series where we came back at the end to win the elimination game and then won the championship game? If that is the one, I will never forget being a idiot that day. I was going to pick up my young (at the time) children from my parents. It was a Sunday. On the way up there, we were down late and it appeared to be over and I just turned off the radio and went “oh well, good season, to bad about the way it finished.” I went and got my kids and was driving home (3 hours each way) and at some point on the way home turned the radio on. It was still on the sports station and it is playing a Hog baseball game. I was like, “what?? We lost the first game and are done???” I listened to the rest of that game and somewhere along the line heard about the come back in game 1.

[quote=“StillGregHog”]

Wasn’t that the series where we came back at the end to win the elimination game and then won the championship game? If that is the one, I will never forget being a idiot that day. I was going to pick up my young (at the time) children from my parents. It was a Sunday. On the way up there, we were down late and it appeared to be over and I just turned off the radio and went “oh well, good season, to bad about the way it finished.” I went and got my kids and was driving home (3 hours each way) and at some point on the way home turned the radio on. It was still on the sports station and it is playing a Hog baseball game. I was like, “what?? We lost the first game and are done???” I listened to the rest of that game and somewhere along the line heard about the come back in game 1.

[/quote]Yup, that was the series of the famous Brady Toops home run. It was hit in the top of the ninth and the Hogs had to survive the bottom of the ninth to send the series to a deciding game. It is widely considered the hit that caused Baum to be expanded and to have caused much of the baseball Hogs popularity.

It was also voted the best moment in Baum Stadium history. Top 10 moments at Baum Stadium

[youtube]Jzy75Jkoq_g[/youtube]

I’m one who was not at that regional. My wife and I had planned a vacation with MrBsWax (Steve Bardwell) to his vacation home in the Smokey Mountains near Ashville, N.C. And, there was no TV of the games.

I had gotten a new cell phone (they were just getting better) that I took on that trip. We were at 4,000 feet and did have pretty good cell coverage at the resort. I had discovered on the plane trip that it had texting. So that first night, I called daughter Sarah (at the tournament) to see if she minded sending me text updates. So she did. I got the blow by blow of the Toops homer and the celebration and then the victory in the championship game later.

It was very interesting. The four of us (Steve, Christie and Jean Ann and I) were staring at the phone waiting for up dates. Sarah was giving us pretty much everything by text. I told Jean Ann that this “text” stuff might be something special. It was on that trip.

I was there and it was easily one of my all-time favorite in person sporting events. I’m still not sure how it went out. The collective elation in Baum was similar to the Miracle on Markham. We just lost our minds.

I’m of the opinion that Brady Toops home run did more for Arkansas baseball than any other single play. I know people who never cared anything about Arkansas baseball until they made the super regional that year, then they were hooked.