Morris record. Just facts.

First I want to dismiss any Morris was a good coordinator talk. Being a good coordinator doesn’t make one a good head coach.

In regards to Morris “rebuilding smu”. I do not see any way the numbers/facts support that.

When you compare June Jones at SMU and Chad Morris at SMU Jones had a better record. So how can the replacement do worse and get credited with “rebuilding”.

June at SMU: 36-43=46‰
1-11
8-5
7-6
8-5
7-6
5-7
0-2

Chad at SMU: 14-22=39%
2-10
5-7
7-5

When i try and point this out people tend to become defensive. I don’t see this as Morris improving each year. Its more of a case of taking Morris 3 years to return to smu equilibrium.

Morris never should have been hired. There are there coaches at similar programs that have done a better job. Lattrell at N. Texas and Clark at UAB come to mind.

My point is the “people” hiring football coaches at Arkansas are doing a terrible job. Jeff Long can’t be blamed for this hire.

The fan base needs to take a long hard look at the “powers that be” and hold them accountable.

There is no reason Arkansas should hire a losing coach from a weak conference.

And don’t forget they paid out $30 million in buyouts to hire Morris. If this was the best available it makes more sense(from program pov) to stand pat and wait one more year.

Belima wouldn’t have been this bad. Buyouts drop. Potentially better crop of coach candidates.

A better in the hand is better than a turtle in the bush.

I’m curious to where you got the $30 million number?

Only time will tell if Morris will turn around the program. I see your point but it proves nothing. I’m sure you hope you are wrong.

It’s silly to call it a bad hire based on one year here. Any one who gets a Power Five gig is going to get 2-3 years minimum to prove themselves, barring off-the-field misconduct or something else truly extraordinary. You don’t fire head coaches after one year and you don’t call for heads among the influential who got the coach hired after one year.

Right now we know that this year was awful, recruiting looks better than it has in many years, and the roster is in flux. Everything else is pure opinion and speculation, including your claim he should never have been hired in the first place. We won’t know very much about whether it was a good, bad or mediocre hire until we see where we are at in December 2019 and more likely in December 2020.

It seems your only view of Morris is based on June Jones. I may have missed something but I didn’t see anything about Morris as a coach that you called out as to why he couldn’t be successful here at Arkansas.

What you also neglected was SMU was in bad shape when June Jones got there, but then June Jones ended up blowing up the program worse than it had been before he got there. Plus, you’re only basing your opinion on a small sample size based on years coached. In other words, who’s to say Morris couldn’t have surpassed Jones in the same time frame? We simply don’t know.

I don’t see how Arkansas paid anywhere near $30 million to make a coaching change.

• Bielema received a max of $11.8 million to be offset by future earnings. He now is employed by New England at an undisclosed salary.

• The assistants were to be paid a max of $1.797 million to be offset by earnings in the first six months after their termination. All but two found employment within two months of being let go at Arkansas and another is working in a paid position as an analyst at Northwestern.

• Arkansas paid SMU $2 million to buy out Chad Morris’ contract there.

• It is not known whether Arkansas had to pay buyouts to hire away the SMU assistants or Steve Caldwell, who came from Boise State. John Chavis and Ron Cooper were out of a job at Texas A&M when they were hired, and Barry Lunney and John Scott were retained from the previous staff, so no buyouts were required in any of those circumstances.

By my math, Arkansas would have been on the hook for about $15.6 million in contractual buyouts (never to reach that total) and possibly a few-hundred thousand dollars to hire away some assistants.

Arkansas hired an unproven P5 HC. I liked the fact he inherited a dumpster fire and built it back to respectability, but he did it at at the G5 level.

I like his offensive philosophy

I like the early recruiting returns

I did not like in game coaching decisions in the CSU game.

Given the situation he inherited it’s too early to tell IMO if he’s the second coming of Frank, Jack Crowe, or something in between.

Needs to win at least five next year to ensure he gets four full years to show us.

This is the only “fact” I see here:
OP definitely has an agenda

Are Bielema’s New England earnings subject to an FOI request?

Jones had SMU winning in Conference-USA, but SMU took a downturn in his final two seasons when it began playing in a tougher conference, the American, which at the time included Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati, South Florida and Temple in addition to some C-USA teams that made the move with SMU. Jones had a 5-9 record after the conference change, and his team went 1-9 the rest of the year after he resigned two games into 2014.

SMU was 6-18 overall and 5-11 in conference games the two years before Morris arrived. That’s hardly the sign of a program in good shape. And I don’t think that’s being defensive; just observant of reality.

His compensation might be evident in the foundation’s tax returns, but that information won’t be discoverable for a while.

I’d be willing to guarantee the OP didn’t know of the conference change by SMU at the end of June’s tenure.

But then again, that would mean he/she would’ve actually done their due diligence when trying o evaluate things. Or maybe that didn’t fit the agenda.

Google is a great thing for proving any side of any argument. People don’t like to look at all sides and all factors.

Not a chad sunshine pumper, he’s unproven to me as of yet. But one thing he’s proving, and it is THE most important factor in coaching, he can recruit.

The fastest way to change a program is by recruiting.

Just notes : Couldn"t run the football. Don’t give me the Alabama song of failure. I was there. Meleek Williams, a VERY good back, never given an opportunity. Boyd, an okay back but NOT an SEC back because he fumbles. You can not tell me all the young men he inherited were losers. Would love to sit at games with you and point to bad coaching. DA play that got Story hurt against Ole Miss after they had already taken a couple of cheap shots on him. Been in coaching since '74 and do not respect any coach who throws the players under the bus to save HIS precious reputation.

Boyd is not an SEC coach because he fumbles? BS. He ran for six yards a carry behind a putrid OL, and also caught 23 passes. He did not fumble that much(the whole team only lost eight fumbles in twelve games). I liked Maleek as a runner, but Boyd is an explosive talent.

Bad talent makes everything look worse.

Be objective, look at all things. Admit to yourself that we are the worst talent in the SEC.

Makers Williams is better based on your opinion, which is a horrible thing to assume because his sample size was so small. Two coaching staffs didn’t play him and now he’s transferring.

Boyd is absolutely an SEC back. It would help if he didn’t get hit so often in the backfield. Needs an OL.

If you’re going to make arguments make sure they are atleast thought out.

I agree with this, its more the players than the plays, and Morris is getting some players. As long as the head coach is open minded and paying attention, he can always improve. Once again, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to be a head coach, but if you are a rocket scientist, can you be a better head coach? We shall see…

You need all the pieces to put the puzzle together. NFL type wide receivers would help. Clemson has 10 WRs in the NFL right now and their WR coach thinks as many as seven on the current Clemson roster should wind up in the NFL, too. SMU’s two WRs from last year, Sutton and Quinn, are both in the NFL as rookies. You can win the one-on-one battles when you have WRs like that.

Your opinion is your opinion, but where did Morris ever throw a player under the bus to save his reputation?

[quote=“OKHog”]

Just notes : Couldn"t run the football. Don’t give me the Alabama song of failure. I was there. Meleek Williams, a VERY good back, never given an opportunity. Boyd, an okay back but NOT an SEC back because he fumbles. You can not tell me all the young men he inherited were losers. Would love to sit at games with you and point to bad coaching. DA play that got Story hurt against Ole Miss after they had already taken a couple of cheap shots on him. Been in coaching since '74 and do not respect any coach who throws the players under the bus to save HIS precious reputation.

[/quote]I think Ty Storey would say Ty Storey got himself hurt by not going out of bounds on that play. It was just second down. The competitor in him was trying for the extra foot or so to get the first down. He’d been better off going out of bounds a little short and having third-and-1 than to risk injury. That’s not bad coaching. Good grief, it’s your QB trying to make a play. He DID NOT throw any kid under the bus. Rakeem Boyd not an SEC back? He pretty much shined when DW was hurt. I wish Maleek had worked out, but apparently two coaching staffs did not see enough of him protecting the QB well enough in practice to earn PT.

Wow! Thanks for that information! No one knew his SMU record! Thanks for telling us!

He was not my pick. But that was a conversation for 12 months ago. At this point was hired and I am hoping he is successful. Unless you have 1. a time machine and 2. the power to control the hiring process (which I am pretty sure you have neither) what is the point of your post?