Morris' offer letter

The includes buyout, incentives, etc.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/chadmorrisletter/

Just glancing, seems a lot harder($$) for us to fire than for Chad to take another job.

That is how it is in almost every contract.

Incentives are non-cumulative and he gets the highest one achieved. Well, they are giving more weight for an SECCG win at $250k vs college football playoff win (the next step) at $150k. Am I reading that wrong?

Yes, you are reading it wrong. A win in the College Football semifinal would earn him at least $500,000. An appearance in the CFP semifinal is worth $300,000.

Here is the path to the max of $1.2 million in bonuses:

• Win national championship ($600,000)
  • Win SEC championship ($250,000)
  • SEC coach of the year ($50,000)
  • National coach of the year ($100,000)
  • APR of at least 990 ($100,000)
  • GSR of at least 85 ($100,000)

Virtually impossible for him to make more than 200k more first few seasons as 4 of the 6 are pretty tough.

He may be correctly paid at the moment for not being any more proven but there does not seem to be an easy path or too many realistic bonus criteria to more money by this.

There are other more obtainable bonuses in his offer letter. For instance, he could make $50,000 for going to a bowl game. Because he has non-cumulative provisions in his bonus sheet, the bowl game bonus would not count toward his total in the dream scenario listed above. It is superseded by winning or playing in the College Football Playoff or any of its affiliated bowl games.

If he gets us from 4-8 to 7-5 or 8-4 in 2018, I think SECCOY is doable, even probable. Anything beyond that (a la Gus 2013) brings NCOY into play.

One of many reasons I am not a lawyer…or a coach! :lol:

I think it’s embarrasing we put more of an emphasis on winning than we do graduating. Sends the wrong signal.

As the last coach showed, you can put all the emphasis you want on graduation, but if you don’t win it won’t matter. The coaches’ salaries predominantly are paid through donations by fans and their interest is much higher in what happens on the field than what happens off of it.

Great concept, won’t work in real life. In reality you have to have some of both. Lets be real, a coach that is winning 10+ games a year can get by with more off the field issues, lack of graduation issues than can a guy winning 7 games a year. By the same token, a guy who is graduating players, having few off the field issues but winning 8 games a year is probably safe as he can be. The guy winning 8 games a year without graduating guys, lots of off the field issues, he is in hot water after a while.

It takes some of both. Like most things in life.