More Useless Info

Jayson Stark’s column on baseball (from The Athletic) has become one of my favorites. From today’s Useless Info column:

Darlin’ save the last out for me

Finally, I bet you think it’s impossible for any hitter to make the last out of the same game twice . But, well, are you familiar with the work of the Mets’ Amed Rosario?

As he proved last Saturday, it can be done — sort of. With two outs in the ninth, he struck out for what should have been the final out of a 3-2 loss to the Braves, only to scramble to first on a wild pitch. That was the good news.

The bad news was, he then got himself picked off first — and since nobody dropped that throw, that was the final out. Since this seems pretty much impossible, I asked my friends at STATS if they could determine just how impossible it actually was.

They dug through the 47 seasons of reliable public play-by-play data through 1974. And guess how many other players, in nearly half a century, have managed to whiff for what should have been the final out, reach base on a dropped third strike and then made the last out on the bases anyway? That, of course, would be none, because that can’t be done — except for one thing …

Baseball!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.