More from Jon Wilner

The Cali writer who broke the USC/UCLA story.

AND

Note the last name on that list.

makes sense. Big 10 prides themselves for academics. Didn’t figure Clemson would be at the top of the list.

1 Like

Please take Missouri! :pray: :pray: :pray:

4 Likes

Lol. If the BT stayed at 16 the SEC might not respond. But I think if they go to 18 Sankey has to react. Somewhere.

Don’t see Mizzou going because they recruit Texas hard and the state comes more into play with Texas and OU coming into the league.

They would have preferred to go Big Ten 10 years ago but the BT wasn’t interested, so they came here. Has the intervening decade changed that?

That was my understanding as well. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them flip.

On the one hand, now that they’ve been in the SEC, they may not want to leave. On the other hand, if we’re headed to 2 super conferences, the panache of being in the SEC will no longer carry the weight it once did. Well, you’d rather be one of the "big boys’ than be left out altogether…but the exclusivity of the SEC is diluted when there are 30 in the conference.

Washington and Oregon work for the Big Ten.

Mizzou seems less likely given their recruiting base. Maybe they would switch if a fourth team was needed to bring in Notre Dame.

Duke and UNC as a package would be possible if the ACC is going to blow up, with Virginia possibly being a third consideration, especially if ND comes on board.

I’ve been reading the Washington State and Oregon State forums. The fans at those schools know they are toast.

2 Likes

The question is who makes the decision: academics or athletics. Academics may not care about recruiting territories.

No doubt about that. They would probably like ti get rid of sports.

Which drives most schools? I would say football has more clout.

1 Like

When the ACC expanded years ago they added several schools not particularly noted for academics to a conference with Duke, UNC, Virginia, etc. The latter were not thrilled with the idea. The driving force was not academics. Or even though this was the ACC, basketball. It was football (and the revenue it brings).

Sports are incredibly important at Duke, UNC and Virginia. Good schools, yes. But the rich alumni who pay for the buildings (and research) come to campus for sports.

1 Like

All true, except sports are not so important at UNC, Virginia, and Duke. Basketball is so important at UNC, Virginia, and Duke. At Duke, basketball tickets are impossible to get, football tickets you just walk up to the stadium. I would imagine it’s the same in Charlottesville. Here in Chapel Hill when we lose a football game people say “Well at least it’s not basketball”. Mack Brown knows that. That’s one big reason he left.

When I was a freshman at Tulane (in 1968) there was so little interest in football that the students wanted the University to drop the sport altogether. I remember my Dad purchasing tickets in the end zone, feeling lucky to get them, as they were hard to come by at Razorback games, and we were freezing our butts off with no one within 40 yards of us. Tulane beat Tulsa 14-6, they carried the coach off the field, and the next week Houston beat Tulsa 100-6.

But I digress. We students met with the Chancellor. He told us it did not matter if none of us wanted football. Or went to games. It was for the alumni. And their money.

And as to academics, do Duke, UNC, and Virginia take pride in that? Yes (despite that nagging UNC academic scandal, which still smarts, no pun intended, in large part because of the hurt pride). But although they worship players and know practically everything about them sports-wise, do fans know or even care what their majors are? Or wonder anything other than are they doing well enough in class to stay eligible? Take a guess.

I imagine only a few know or care who the recipients of the Sturgis Fellowship or the Bodenhamer Fellowship were this year or any year.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.