Mike Leach to Mississippi State

Pete Thamel and Bruce Feldman are reporting that Mike Leach will be the next head coach in Starkville.

I Posted the same time you did Matt. LOL

You knew someone was gonna get him. He’s been begging for an SEC job.

No worries. I merged it.

We’d better get us a defense with him and Kiffin both in Mississippi. Wow.

The Egg Bowl might be fun to watch just for the histrionics on the sidelines.

WoW…that’s a bit of a surprise to me. It’s gonna cost 'em $$$$$. WSU thought they had him locked up w new deal. Maybe he had an out for a SEC job. Football scoop reporting it too.

SEC West ia a freakin’ MONSTER

Think it’s a helluva hire… Odom going to be earning his $$ right out of the gate.

I don’t think their current QBs are well suited for the Air Raid though.

1 Like

When Tom Lemming was in LR recently, he said he never heard of any of Leach’s QBs at WSU until they showed up in Pullman.

Tom sees about 2,000 kids a year. Leach has a way of developing QBs.

He does indeed - Josh Jordon and Minshew we’re “nobodies“ when they arrived in Pullman.

Lord have mercy I live about 2 and 1/2 hours from Starkvegas it is going to be hilarious watching him try to fit in with all those rednecks :slight_smile::slight_smile:

1 Like

Starkville doesn’t seem a lot different from Lubbock or Pullman in that all are part of fairly rural, agricultural areas. Lubbock is obviously a lot more populated than the other two towns, but overall I’m not sure Starkville is that much different of a place than where he has coached the last 20 years. All kind of seem like outposts.

If Leach doesn’t have a QB on roster that fits he’ll find one in the portal. He’ll have a QB.
Probably will be a lineup wanting to go. :sunglasses:

Pullman and Starkville may be similar type places but there is a distinct difference in the people in those places LOL.

I hate to hear it. We all know Leach is a good coach. Many of us wanted him here. (I was somewhat ambivalent, but knew he could do a good job.) MSU is a tough place to win, but as someone said, so is Pullman. MSU will do well. I had hoped, though, we’d have a little time to overtake them again. Leach won’t allow that. We might beat them, but it won’t be because their coach is below average.

1 Like

Last season the PAC-12 figured out the best defensive strategy to beat him as Wash St. finished 3-6 in the Pac 12 North. (Last) and 0-5 on the road.

36 -36 in 8 seasons in the PAC 12.
47-33 in the Big 12

I agree if your not prepared the game can turn into a track meet.

He’ll take Starkel and turn him into AA.

1 Like

36-36 in PULLMAN----what is the average ranking of those recruiting classes I wonder?
MSU is top 30 every year, . Not that he had great classes at Lubbock. Gonna be interesting

Understand Leach has a home in FL where he wants to retire so not surprised that he relocated.

Not a fan of Leach & relieved that we did not hire him.

Any idea as to what happened when HY interviewed Leach & why that did not progress further?

amount of talent within 2 hours of Starkville is infinitely more than Pullman and higher than Lubbock. How Piratey the matey can be Starkville is debatable, but those folks are passionate for all things State. I have had more visits to Starkville than I wish and still don’t get why the town comes off smaller than most AIC places in perception, but that is how I see it. Golden Triangel, my foot. Probably gonna find him a Favre type somewhere and he needs a stud DC who likes to bring pressure to live or die by the sword. Starkville is more like the suburb of Bryan that we all love so much.