Memphis

Tubby Smith was quoted in a story I read today about being open to playing regional teams again at Memphis. Of course, Josh Pastner wouldn’t schedule regional teams like Tennessee and Arkansas in his final years there.

Tubby said he and Rick Barnes are good friends and have discussed the possibility of Memphis and Tennessee playing again. He wasn’t directly quoted on Arkansas, but he and Mike Anderson have a great friendship, and it would not surprise me if that game is discussed.

I think we’d all like to see regional teams like Memphis and Tulsa back on the schedule. I won’t hold my breath on Tulsa as long as Frank Haith is there.

I’d love to see Arkansas/Memphis come back.

I don’t know how much of this is true and how much is fiction, but there was some thought around Memphis a couple of years back that Arkansas and Tennessee may play one of their regular season games at FedEx Forum because Memphis wouldn’t schedule them.

Another note on Tubby: He is the only coach who has ever brought four different teams - Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and Texas Tech - to Bud Walton Arena. I think he also coached a game in Barnhill.