Measurements

It’s crazy how much a kid’s height can vary when visiting schools or attending combines.

Blytheville junior offensive lineman Larry Clark was measured at 6-2 at the Nike Chicago Regional, 6-3 at Arkansas and topped out at 6-5 today at the U.S. Army Combine. I’ve seen this stuff all the time.

He is just growing extremely fast, RD! :lol:

I know why now. They actually measure athletes with their shoes on at the Army combine. I’ve never heard of that before. I’m disappointed by that. I’ve never seen a combine measure with shoes on and I know colleges don’t.

Oh, Dudley? Where are you?

Been a pet peeve of mine for years, that some measure with shoes on. No way to get a true measurement when you do that. Dudley disagrees.

Them Dr. Scholl’s help out to!! Lol

I only say that because the combines I’ve been to have measured in bare feet. This maybe the first I’ve seen that does it with shoes. What if a kid showed up in cowboys boots? Surely they wouldn’t measure in boots.

I was just told his wing span was 6-7. That’s impressive.

He weighed in a 298.

You beat me to it!

As I always say, when they start playing games in socks or bare feet, I’ll be down with measuring them in those

That boy’s measurements are impressive from any and all levels. My question: what are the Hogs’ chances with bigdook?

IN Blytheville the Chickasaws play in two-inch cleats. To me it doesn’t matter, just at least be consistent. I have always thought like Dudley says, measure in cleats because that is what they play in.

“Consistent” is the deal to me. Yes, you play in shoes. But the ONLY way to be consistent is to do NO shoes. One school plays in 2 inch cleats, the other in short cleats. Does that mean a player on the first team is really 1" taller than the player on the second team? Of course not. How do you get real info about the two players? SHOES OFF.

Clearly this isn’t a big deal, but it is funny to me. I have shoes that add almost nothing to my true height, some that would add a lot. Which one do you wear if trying to impress?

They don’t call it the Dawson method for nothing. He’ll defend his methodology to the bitter end. Gotta admire a man with conviction! :wink:

[quote=“RichardDavenport”]
I know why now. They actually measure athletes with their shoes on at the Army combine. I’ve never heard of that before. I’m disappointed by that. I’ve never seen a combine measure with shoes on and I know colleges don’t.
[/quote]I suppose it doesn’t matter if you know how the measurements are made.

Then let’s put football players on the scales in full pads.

This marriage of Dawson and Swine methodology could have really boosted my teenage ego. I could have gone from 5’10 155 to 6’ 170 in the time it took to print a game program. Still wouldn’t have any offers, but I’d have felt much better about myself.